Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great irish beer festival '08 Galway

• 30-09-2008 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

With just under 4 weeks left until this event, i was wondering does anyone know much about what'll be happening.

I was at it last year and had a good evening. it wasn't without its problems but these were bound to happen with a new event and hopefully this year it should run far more smoothly.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I didn't go last year, but the website is as good as last year - 4 weeks to go and still no beer list (not even a preliminary one).
    I would like to see a good selection of Irish microbreweries to entice me up to Galway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    these were bound to happen with a new event
    A well-established venue not having running water for several hours is not "bound to happen" -- it's just plain careless incompetence on the part of the host. I wouldn't bet on the stall staff being any more clued-in either -- it's not like they've been working beer festivals all year in between. But then that bit was mostly a plus point rather than a minus. "Why yes, I am the guy who's collecting the tokens from the stands for re-use."

I do hope they get their act together regarding the food (last year you had the choice of sad sandwiches from a tray or nuts), and yes, a beerlist would be very welcome well in advance. But given the amount that they're charging the stallholders, I suspect it'll be much the same as last year: Galway Hooker, the Porterhouse, Arainn Mhór lying to gullible punters about where his beer's made, and a whole bunch of imports you can get in any decent off licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

hmmm, i did sugar coat it earlier.

the black box is a bit of a hole and the whole lack of running water/ toilet situation at the first one was ridiculous.
    i enjoyed myself last year despite the whole water situation, but the lack of proper food and lack of Irish beer was a bit of a disappointment. hopefully these will be remedied this year, though the lack of beer list to close to the event is odd.

While many of the beers there last year are available in offies around town i found it a good way to try beer that i'd never had before.

there were stories last year of people nipping over to smyths last year to get cheep poker sets for the chips last year instead of buying the beer token yokes. i wonder if that'll work this year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Well, running water wouldn't be something I'd go to Galway for anyway.

The last-minute updating of the website may have been more acceptable for te first year, but they'd really want to be getting it sorted soon.

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i enjoyed myself last year despite the whole water situation, but the lack of proper food and lack of Irish beer was a bit of a disappointment.
    Exactly my sentimonies.

I'd go again if I didn't have to haul myself across the country and put up with the most expensive hotel prices in Ireland to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

they've updated the list of beers, but still it's lacking tbh

Yep: just one single Irish beer (the Galway one) is a disgrace for an event claiming to be the "Great Irish". Franciscan Well's Easterfest remains the real great festival of Irish beer.

Last night I met the two guys who are importing the American stuff mentioned on the GIBF list, and it's bloody good, especially the Prohibition amber ale and the dry mead. But, like most everything else on sale at the festival, you'll get it in any decent offy.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 gizzemoto

The vip Tickets were a complete rip-off ,Never again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

There was a beer from the north, dobby something, it was good.

That makes two Irish beers......

Not much stout either.

still a good way to spend a day, and the two euro chimay and maredsous at the end was nice.

lmtduffy wrote: »
    There was a beer from the north, dobby something, it was good.
    Clotworthy Dobbin: magnificent stuff, though annoyingly priced at €4 or more in offies, when Sainsbury's up north do it for £1.89. Still, €6 a bottle in the Bull & Castle is a fair price, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

An the Bull & Castle may still have it on draft

For shame if they do, since I heard they were on their last keg on Friday evening. It's better from the bottle anyway, IMO.

Advertisement