Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first esb bill for 1beb apartment....

Options
  • 30-09-2008 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

hi all,
    just got the first ESB bill for an apartment i moved into the bill is for about 6 weeks(dont have exact dates here) but i reccon its quite high its 97euros.
    that might not sound like a lot but we dont use a hell of a lot of power
    cooker 1 a day(2 times on days off)
    kettle 2 times
    lights and tv/dvd for a few hours at night.
    and the laptop/broadband most nights for about 2-3hours.
    and thats it! the shower is not electric but the water is heated with an immersion.
    the storage heating has not been on at all since i moved in and we use a laundret for out washing.
    now i could be totally wrong in my asumption and this could be normal pricing?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

That sounds about right to me, why not go to the esb site and look at the usage calculator there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It doesn't sound out of line to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

ok thats cool. if thats what it costs thats what it costs. ill have a look at the esb calculator and see what comes out.
    thanks for the replys guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeh doesnt sound excessive to me either...maybe monitor your immersion use to see if that makes a difference!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

not excessive to be honest, if you want to lower costs I'd suggest plugging out decives when not at use such as routers, pc's or TV's

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Did you check their meter reading against yours? Is there an E next to theirs? If so they've estimated it based on past usage and it'll correct itself in time when they take physical readings (they have to do this a set number of times a year). You can also submit your own reading on their website.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Did you check their meter reading against yours? Is there an E next to theirs? If so they've estimated it based on past usage and it'll correct itself in time when they take physical readings (they have to do this a set number of times a year). You can also submit your own reading on their website.

adam

It does seem a bit much, considering you'd no heating on.
    As DaMelodrama has mentioned, did they bill on an estimated read?
    If you're unsure where your electricity meter is located, ask your management co or landlord. You should have access to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

it does seem high unless your immersion is an older one with the older type tank which may not be properly insulated and will cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's approximately comparable to ours.

At the moment, 8 weeks of summer use is costing us about €120, so €97 for 6 weeks doesn't seem out of line.

As other posters have suggested, you'll be probably be able to trim some of it by monitoring your usage an unplugging devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

hi op, im living in a one bed apt and my bill for 2 months is about 70 to 90 every 2 months is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

sounds about right really, mines usually 90-120 for 2 months and nobodys at home between 9-6 for 5 days a week so its mostly all night usage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

the shower is not electric but the water is heated with an immersion.

Immersion are very heavy on electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

That doesnt sound OTT but have they estimated the bill as another poster has pointed out (an E beside the reading??) and are you sure that your bill was put into your name from when you moved in and not from when the metre was put in - e.g. builders or workmen using tools/lights/etc before you moved in??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

As other people have mentioned, check your immersion tank as well and ensure it's properly insulated. If not, a lagging jacket isn't that expensive and will pay for itself quite quickly.

Small things can add up - only boil the amount of water you need, rather than filling the kettle each time. Take things out of standby. Check the timer on your immersion and possibly reduce it if it's on for hours. Turn lights off in rooms you're not in. When you do start using the storage heaters, ensure the thermostat is set at a reasonable level - pull curtains etc at night to help insulate large windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

ye must have a fridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Plasma TVs drink units as well.

Advertisement