Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hens for sale?

• 30-09-2008 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anyone selling hens at the moment? We are looking for a few more to compliment our flock and finding it very hard.

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.

Looking for point of lay pullets / rhode Island Reds / Welsummer / most breeds.

No cockeral's.....:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

:) re cockerels!!

Have you tried the local battery hen unit? Hens resuced from there often have years of laying left in them and are beautiful to keep.

Good luck.

Does anyone know anyone selling hens at the moment? We are looking for a few more to compliment our flock and finding it very hard.

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.

Looking for point of lay pullets / rhode Island Reds / Welsummer / most breeds.

No cockeral's.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Try www.fizzywitch.ie - they often take in fowl and look for free range homes for them. Email them and ask when they got the next load coming in. I have booked five with them for a friend of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

EGAR wrote: »

link not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I just tried www.fizzywitch.com and it works, it's just .com instead of .ie
    and yes please consider adopting a few battery hens they really do deserve a good home and still lay eggs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭arctictree

I have two young light sussex pullets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussex_(chicken)

They are only eight weeks old though at the moment. PM me if you are interested.

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭christinadublin

I've always wanted to keep hens. I think they look so lovely roaming around the garden. I've been set on the idea since I was about 5 and my neighbours got some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Quick question.

How much land around the house would you need to keep hens/chickens etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Depends on how hens you want to keep as to the size of the garden.

Check out irishanimals.ie and petsireland there was someone on one of them posting about more battery hens needing homes recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Kraggy, It really depends on how many hens you want. If you only have a small town garden, then you can still keep a few hens, maybe 5 or so. If you have half an acre or more in the country then you can probably keep around 15 or 20 if you have a shed for them. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies. I just did a google search, could not locate my nearest battery, Im in Kildare/Dublin, anyone any ideas?

I would definetly consider rescuing a battery hen, I love my 7 so much, they were free rangers when bought.

Artic Tree, I actually have two young light sussex pullets myself, but began with three. Two of them have coccillidiousis and that is why I am looking for a more mature bird. They came sick, constant foamy mustard diarrohea and I had to put down the sickest who had the first sign of blood in her stools. The next one, Hannah is not coming along at all. Her comb is not developing and her bum is constantly yellow from all the diarrohea. Thank you very much for your offer though.

Kraggy, we built an impressive hen house thats big enough for ten birds and now have 7, so they love their space. They free range in a portable extension we built for them. We live on an acre but there are some nasty posh cats living in the house across the field and they are adamant of getting their paws into my girls so we allow them to free range in a specially built wooden / windbreaker mesh dome.

There are coops for sale shaped like half triangles and I dont feel they're very good as they do need sunshine, exercise and a little perching pole to roost on.

I have tried fizzywitch, b ut they are in the west and I am in the east.

No rush though! Im happy with the girls at the moment. Will try a locate a local battery.

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Email Fizzywitch anyway, they might know of a battery near you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mrst

I got hens off a fella in Blessington in Co Wicklow. He has a good lot and also he sells hen houses which are great I got one made to suit myself and he delivered it to me in Laragh in Wicklow. I also got hen pellets up there and they were only €8.50 which is much cheaper than I get them in Wicklow. His name is Glen 087 7694365 maybe if you give him a ring he could help you out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies. I just did a google search, could not locate my nearest battery, Im in Kildare/Dublin, anyone any ideas?

I would definetly consider rescuing a battery hen, I love my 7 so much, they were free rangers when bought.

Artic Tree, I actually have two young light sussex pullets myself, but began with three. Two of them have coccillidiousis and that is why I am looking for a more mature bird. They came sick, constant foamy mustard diarrohea and I had to put down the sickest who had the first sign of blood in her stools. The next one, Hannah is not coming along at all. Her comb is not developing and her bum is constantly yellow from all the diarrohea. Thank you very much for your offer though.

Kraggy, we built an impressive hen house thats big enough for ten birds and now have 7, so they love their space. They free range in a portable extension we built for them. We live on an acre but there are some nasty posh cats living in the house across the field and they are adamant of getting their paws into my girls so we allow them to free range in a specially built wooden / windbreaker mesh dome.

There are coops for sale shaped like half triangles and I dont feel they're very good as they do need sunshine, exercise and a little perching pole to roost on.

I have tried fizzywitch, b ut they are in the west and I am in the east.

No rush though! Im happy with the girls at the moment. Will try a locate a local battery.

Thanks guys!

I used to breed hens and lost more young birds to cats than anything else. the coccidosis can be treated using panacur granules diluted in water. If you google poultry supplies kerry you can find details of fella that does mail order poultry supplies, books and things, i forget their name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Thanks Cloudy for that little bit of info, good to know in future, I bought a treatment online and thanfully no repeat incidents. The bird that had it has grown into a full blown mother hen and is the loudest and happiest of the bunch and to think when we got her she was soooo sick and the weakling.

MRST thanks for that number, Im gave my cock away to a woman who had all her hens taken by the fox and now shes going to give me fertilised eggs in return and Im going to hatch them in an incubator - none of my mine are broody or slightly interested in hatching an egg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lisameath

Hi, We're overstocked with 60 and are selling some off cheap if u interested. We are in Meath. €7.00 each. You can get my call me on 0863931867. :o

Advertisement