Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Period Clothing Casualties

Options
  • 30-09-2008 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Apologies if this is a bit gross for some people, but I'm wondering about what you do about your clothing (or bedding) casualties during your period. I think no matter what age you are you can have a leak or suprise which results in stripping the sheets the next morning or if you're out and about having to run into Penneys for some new knicks.

So what do you do with the casualties?

Does bleach work on getting stains out of sheets and things?

Or is this something that only happens up to the age of 15 :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Coldwater is supposed to be the best thing for such stains.

Rarely have accidents any more though to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Or is this something that only happens up to the age of 15

I wish! If you've a fairly heavy one, like me, then this happens from time to time if you're caught unawares.

I haven't had a clothes incident since "The White Shorts Horror of 1987", but since I tend to come on during the night when I'm asleep, my sheets have occasionally taken a hit.

The only thing is cold water - leaving them to soak with some washing powder in cold water is pretty good. Cold water + Vanish stick is also good.

Bleach will just eat into the fabric, and it's not neccessary anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Am I the only one who thought this:

C_71_article_1023996_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Edit: Just realised with my new sig it looks like I'm stacking images up like a kodak shop. Apologies the sig will be replaced at the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ellebelle

Drift wrote: »

Edit: Just realised with my new sig it looks like I'm stacking images up like a kodak shop. Apologies the sig will be replaced at the end of the week.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D - you've been reading too much Ross!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Ha! That's really funny, innocent mind!

Cold water eh? Will do next time. And I'll get a vanish stick!

Trio, I'm the same, haven't had a white shorts incident in a very long time but the poor ol sheets...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

At 15 I just gave the washing to mammy:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lol yeah, I was about to post that sentiment myself! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

ROFL @ Drift's post. Classic. :D:D:D

Cold water and that Vanish stuff works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I haven't really had a clothing casualty in a long time. Then again, I have freakishly light periods, so any leakage is merely underwear spotting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I haven't really had a clothing casualty in a long time. Then again, I have freakishly light periods, so any leakage is merely underwear spotting.

Yeah me too........although freakishly light but terribly painful:( Can't win em all I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Wet the stain with cold water, and cover it with a thick layer of salt and leave it for an hour. Make sure the salt is wet too.

The salt absorbs the blood like magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Wet the stain with cold water, and cover it with a thick layer of salt and leave it for an hour. Make sure the salt is wet too.

The salt absorbs the blood like magic.

Try the same with baking soda,

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

Cold water is the best to lift it and then one scoop of Vanish in the wash with it and its gone gone gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

My namesake :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

:(
    I knew that I shouldn't have opened this thread.

It is great timing though, given the refund thread in AH.....

.....I'll leave you with a quote
    Sorry Wendy, but I just don't trust an animal that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.

/backs away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Hey OP. It's not a nice feeling I'll give you that - when I'm not on the pill my periods are horrendous and I've frequently woken up to much unpleasantness. I once had to do an exam too within which I was bleeding so badly it came out all over the chair and I had to wait until the last person had left the room before I got up :-(

Anywho, I find that chucking sheets/clothes in the wash as soon as you can will usually get rid of the stains. I never ruined anything forever by having an accident like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭coco85

pookie82 wrote: »
    Hey OP. It's not a nice feeling I'll give you that - when I'm not on the pill my periods are horrendous and I've frequently woken up to much unpleasantness. I once had to do an exam too within which I was bleeding so badly it came out all over the chair and I had to wait until the last person had left the room before I got up :-(

I have exactly the same prob.. and the chair thing happened me at my sis-in-laws house!..i cringe everytime i think about the incident!:eek:

Sis-in-Law is a nurse and knows all about my heavy periods but i can't bring myself to sit on her kitchen chairs with her (new) cushins again!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

You're supposed to use cold water because hot water makes protein coagulate and makes it harder to remove... Same principle when you're washing egg stains. Anyway, I soak in cold water and attack with soap, but next time I'll try the salt trick! Honestly though this hardly happens to me since I started using a mooncup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

This sounds awful but apparently your own saliva can work wonders. Something about enzymes.... Haven't tried it myself though. I tend to go for the "wash asap" route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Thought I was the only one this happens to:o Highly embarassing incidents with chairs have happened me as well I suffer from a very heavy period and sometimes get caught unawares. Usually a hot wash and loads of powders will do the trick.. Carry industrial strength maxi pads around all month in case. Except there aint much hiding them in handbags. have had many an embarassing situation where in public have pulled out an ST instead of a wallet etc:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I got caught on a flight home from spain on monday. Seriously stressey weekend and last few weeks for me and well it must done something. Luckly it didn't get the seat but i was wearing jeans and the was ... issues.. I was so so so embarrassed. Luckly i had a small bag and just held it behind me while i was walking, which is something i do at times anyways.

I felt like crying my eyes out i was as embarrassed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Alessandra wrote: »
    have had many an embarassing situation where in public have pulled out an ST instead of a wallet etc:eek:

Oh god, me too. To try and solve that problem I put all my lady stuff into an old make up bag and put it into my handbag so that if my bag fell and the contents spilled etc, no harm done.

Except two days later I forgot, was sitting on the train at seven in the morning half asleep, pulled out the wrong make up bag and gave the guy across from me a good big flash of my monthly accessories.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Kotick

I'm on the pill so I know exactly when my period is coming. I also always use tampons even in bed (you can wear them up to 8 hours), so I don't have accidents. But when I was younger, I remember my mom saying to wash it off with cold water, throw it in a bleach load and it should be fine. If it's not fine, then use a stain remover like any other stain and if that doesn't work, then buy new clothes or sheets if it bothers you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

hey ladies.. similar issue regarding bedding..

every morning i sit in bed doing my makeup.

I have a white duvet and have inevitably spilt foundation on it. Ive put it on a normal wash and it hasnt come out.

Its not a total disaster as the duvet is only from Pennys, but anybody have any good tips for getting rid? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Judi Drenched.

Good girl Judi.

Advertisement