Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you envisage any motor companies going out of business in current economic climate

Options
  • 30-09-2008 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hope I am not posting in the wrong thread. But I was chatting with a friend at lunch today about the current economic climate/ recession and the drive towards green fuels. We got talking about some of our favorite car manufacturers and one thing after another we started to speculate about which motor brands will be hit most / potentially go out of business...
    To start the ball rolling, IMHO i would not be surprised to see jaguar hit hard/go the way of rover over the next year or two. As a company, they have been bought and sold too many times to remember, and currently in the hands of an indian parent company. As a company they do not produce fuel efficient cheap mass market cars, they produce fuel guzzlers, but fuel guzzlers which arguably are not best of breed (that honor prob goes to bmw/audi/merc )... I would imagine they are very vulnerable in todays economic climate...
    Anybody any opinions ?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say you will see alot of smaller manufacturers being absorbed by the bigger car corporations. Similar to what is happening with alot of smaller banks in the current credit crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

You could very well see a large American company go out of business, particularly if the US Govt cease backing up these uncompetitive dinosaurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

General Motors has been pretty ****ed for the last few years. Didn't the US government recently approve another $25 billion bailout for their car manufacturing industry recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,953 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vote for General Motors, or Chrysler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

its hard to imagine GM going bankrupt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

towel401 wrote: »

Well their pension plan was crippling them before the credit crunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

What bout the likes of alfa romeo. I know alfa cars from time to time get a hard time around here, but im speaking specifically about their brand and sales figures.
    At the very least (i know Ireland is a small market) but SIMI's sales figures for alfa were worrying to say the least.... now that the economy has been hit, do you think many people will be willing to take a punt on a 159 etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What bout the likes of alfa romeo. I know alfa cars from time to time get a hard time around here, but im speaking specifically about their brand and sales figures.
    At the very least (i know Ireland is a small market) but SIMI's sales figures for alfa were worrying to say the least.... now that the economy has been hit, do you think many people will be willing to take a punt on a 159 etc..

I'd imagine Ireland is small enough that most companies could probably pull out of here without it registering on their books. Collectively the small countries add up to a bit but they could probably pull out of one or too of the lower end ones to cut a few costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alfa Romeo are part of the larger Fiat Group which as a whole is performing quite well to my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

bazz26 wrote: »
    Alfa Romeo are part of the larger Fiat Group which as a whole is performing quite well to my knowledge.

They're doing very well in Europe generally, but FIAT are down quite substantially this year here.

I think Alfa are selling better this year than last year here, but I'm not certain.

They poached some young marketing guy from BMW Ireland earlier on in the year, and he was supposed to have been doing very well with BMW so they are hoping that he will help turn them around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'd say Ford will be bowing out in a while

E92 wrote: »
    They're doing very well in Europe generally, but FIAT are down quite substantially this year here.

I think Alfa are selling better this year than last year here, but I'm not certain.

They poached some young marketing guy from BMW Ireland earlier on in the year, and he was supposed to have been doing very well with BMW so they are hoping that he will help turn them around.

Fiat Ireland have been doing badly for three or four years. They've got a new head and are (I'd go for 'were' now, with the crunch) intending to ship out the dead wood dealers, get new ones in and a new marketing campaign. They're already down a number of dealers I'd have classed as bad ones but no new ones as yet... but I've seen ads for the 500 frequently, and more and more on the roads.

They were one of the very early 'small' marques to be in Ireland on their own rather than through a distie and seem to intend to stay for the long run, thankfully.

towel401 wrote: »

They, effectively, are bankrupt already. Lost 38 BILLION dollars in 2007. They've had to cancel their autumn ad campaign as they can't pay for it. Their long-term plan to merge with Fiat died a few years back and realistically any future for GM died with it - Fiat were in bits prior to that and are now highly profitable, GM are getting worse and worse.

GM have a very large financing division also, which if the banking crisis gets worse, will start eating them from another side. I give them a year, tops, without a major restructuring - possibly having to divest or close brands, withdraw from territories...

Advertisement