Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dressing up as Mohammad for Halloween

• 30-09-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking of having a religous fancy dress theme for Halloween. And I wanted to dress up as Mohammad.

I can't find a costume shop that sell Mohammad costumes, but I was thinking of just getting a Jesus costume and adding a Turban.

People have said to me "are you trying to get killed" and that it's offensive. But I just wanted an Islamist view on this.

Would you be offended by a fancy dress costume? If so why, and maybe some Christians could tell me why a Jesus costume is fine to wear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Muslims believe God (Allah is God in Arabic) can't be percieved by humans. Also, our concept of God is very different from the Christian one, in that Humans are not made in God's image.

As for being offended, I would find it more silly than anything else. Also, Muslims don't see Jesus as God, but as a prophet, so adding a Turban, wouldn't make any realy difference to your costume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I think I meant Mohammad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I would have imagined that most devote Muslims would find it irreverent.
    But I suspect you already know that.
    I'm curious as to what good do you think would be accomplished from such an action ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I would have imagined that most devote Muslims would find it irreverent.
    But I suspect you already know that.
    I'm curious as to what good do you think would be accomplished from such an action ?

Why does any good have to come from it? It's a fancy dress party!
    wes wrote: »
    Muslims believe God (Allah is God in Arabic) can't be percieved by humans. Also, our concept of God is very different from the Christian one, in that Humans are not made in God's image.

As for being offended, I would find it more silly than anything else. Also, Muslims don't see Jesus as God, but as a prophet, so adding a Turban, wouldn't make any realy difference to your costume.

Likewise, it is probably meant to be a bit silly and fun. I think what the OP is asking is if dressing up as Mohammed is technically considered an offence, such as reproducing a drawing of him. I would say this is only going to be a problem if you anticipate several muslims actually being at this party?

:confused:

And no i don't expect any muslims to be at the party, but we are heading out for a few drinks first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Malari wrote: »
    Why does any good have to come from it? It's a fancy dress party!
    Perhaps I phrased it wrong, the intend behind the desire to dress up as this particular character, the aim is to be confrontational in my view.

But if Muslims don't find it offensive I guess why should I.

bubonicus wrote: »
    :confused:

And no i don't expect any muslims to be at the party, but we are heading out for a few drinks first.

Ha, get some smoky bacon crisps for added effect ;)

Perhaps I phrased it wrong, the intend behind the desire to dress up as this particular character, the aim is to be confrontational in my view.

Or topical...?

Very intersting. Not my intent at all.

Other people are coming as :-

Jesus,
    Buddha,
    Joseph Smith,
    Richard Dawkins,
    Shiva

to name a few. Are any of them confrontational?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Observant Muslims would not approve of any visual representation of Muhammad (or indeed any other prophet, including Jesus). But unless you go around telling people that you are dressing up as Muhammad, people will just think you're dressed as a generic Arab.

If you want to be relatively authentic, then there are various sites on the web that discuss "Islamic clothing", for example this one. Some Muslim men consider it desirable to dress as closely as possible to the way that Muhammad dressed.

For the turban, make sure that you steer clear of a Sikh or Hindu turban.

Here's a short film on the Muslim turban.

And don't forget the beard!

• Advertisement

hivizman wrote: »
    Observant Muslims would not approve of any visual representation of Muhammad (or indeed any other prophet, including Jesus). But unless you go around telling people that you are dressing up as Muhammad, people will just think you're dressed as a generic Arab.

If you want to be relatively authentic, then there are various sites on the web that discuss "Islamic clothing", for example this one. Some Muslim men consider it desirable to dress as closely as possible to the way that Muhammad dressed.

For the turban, make sure that you steer clear of a Sikh or Hindu turban.

Here's a short film on the Muslim turban.

And don't forget the beard!

Thanks, I have the beard already.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Bit cold for a thawb. And a Richard Dawkins costume is just gonna be crap!
    Here's an idea.
    Find a couple of manequin arms lying around in a skip, a tin of blue paint and you could go as Vishnu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Farasoi

Being a Muslim myself, I would be offended if someone, regardless a Muslim or not, visually presenting him/herself as our beloved prophet or visually or audially (apologies if this isn't a correct word :o) as God. There was once in my origin country where a film production wants to make a film about the life of Muhammad pbuh, and the film crews consulted the national religious body on how to do it according to Islamic guideline and as a result, in the film Muhammad and the four khalifas after him were not potrayed directly, ie the crews focused scenes from our prophet's shoulder view and from his point of view and words from our God were presented as Quran verses.
    There are several reasons for these but in my opinion, Muhammad pbuh is the central figure of Islam, the most religious Muslim and the most ideal human ever created by God and that the potrayal of him by someone would be a disrespect to him and Islam. Furthermore, Halloween is not a part of Muslim practice and there would be parties and drinkings so I would be insulted if a person dresses as him and drinks. As for God, there is no, and shouldn't be any description about His physical appearance, only He knows it, so I don't see the relevance of people trying to dress as Him.

I would not suggest you to dress as Muhammad or our God. But you can dress as a general Arabic guy though. :D

Farasoi wrote: »
    Being a Muslim myself, I would be offended if someone, regardless a Muslim or not, visually presenting him/herself as our beloved prophet or visually or audially (apologies if this isn't a correct word :o) as God. There was once in my origin country where a film production wants to make a film about the life of Muhammad pbuh, and the film crews consulted the national religious body on how to do it according to Islamic guideline and as a result, in the film Muhammad and the four khalifas after him were not potrayed directly, ie the crews focused scenes from our prophet's shoulder view and from his point of view and words from our God were presented as Quran verses.
    There are several reasons for these but in my opinion, Muhammad pbuh is the central figure of Islam, the most religious Muslim and the most ideal human ever created by God and that the potrayal of him by someone would be a disrespect to him and Islam. Furthermore, Halloween is not a part of Muslim practice and there would be parties and drinkings so I would be insulted if a person dresses as him and drinks. As for God, there is no, and shouldn't be any description about His physical appearance, only He knows it, so I don't see the relevance of people trying to dress as Him.

I would not suggest you to dress as Muhammad or our God. But you can dress as a general Arabic guy though. :D

Very insightful answer, thanks Farasoi.

I think I'll just go as Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

going as mr top gun tom curie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Farasoi

You're welcome. ;) Hmm Brian? Brian who? :o

Speaking about Halloween, this is my first year in Dublin and my friends in research group have asked me already to join Halloween party because they are planning to create a theme for the group, so right now I'm thinking whether to join or not. Any opinion on this? I mean, it would be fun to see real Halloween celebration here in Ireland, and I'm not going to drink so I think I'll be fine, but do others find it odd to see a Muslim female in during Halloween celebration?

You're welcome. ;) Hmm Brian? Brian who? :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python%27s_Life_of_Brian

Enjoy the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

maybe some Christians could tell me why a Jesus costume is fine to wear?

Just to answer that part. I, as a christian, don't like the idea of someone dressing up as Jesus for fancy dress etc. I don't like seeing T-Shirts with him etc etc. I would think that there are many christians who think like this. I think the issue is with the repecussions of such an act. If the media is to be believed, there are some muslims out there who will get violent at such a thing. Whereas, Christians would be more pacifist when faced with such things. Thats my 2 cent anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Speaking about Halloween, this is my first year in Dublin and my friends in research group have asked me already to join Halloween party because they are planning to create a theme for the group, so right now I'm thinking whether to join or not. Any opinion on this?

Halloween, is always a good laugh. Dressing up and going out with a few mates is good fun. I don't drink either, so you should be fine.

Having said that, it was far more fun as a child and to go out "trick or treating", but fun can still be had, when your older.

Still, if you have never been to a Halloween, you should definetly go. I reckon you will have a good time. The only caveat, I should mention, is that it will be very busy if your going out to a pub/club and if its too busy that can be a bit of a pain. Otherwise, it tends to be a good laugh.
    I mean, it would be fun to see real Halloween celebration here in Ireland, and I'm not going to drink so I think I'll be fine, but do others find it odd to see a Muslim female in during Halloween celebration?

Couple of the Muslims girls in my class (when I was in college), went out with the rest of us for Halloween a couple of times. So its not strange at all.

Am I the only person who finds this thread hilarious?

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    Am I the only person who finds this thread hilarious?

I think all things should be open to comedic attack, don't be worried about offending anyone unless of course they are going to issue a fatwa on your life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

do others find it odd to see a Muslim female in during Halloween celebration?

Not at all. Although Halloween has its origins as a pagan festival, there are absolutely no religious connotations to it in Ireland these days.

Well, not unless you'll be celebrating it with Wiccans, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

So what ultimately was your reason for not going as muhammad? Not wanting to offend? because dressing up as any religious figure is bound to offend some persons deeply held and irrational beliefs.

Are you afraid some muslim will go jihad when they see you?

So what ultimately was your reason for not going as muhammad? Not wanting to offend? because dressing up as any religious figure is bound to offend some persons deeply held and irrational beliefs.

Respect.
    Are you afraid some muslim will go jihad when they see you?

tut tut.:rolleyes:

OK, sorry for any offense caused (I'm on my first yellow!), but I was trying to say what Sesshoumaru was saying above. Outside this forum, what is the reason for not wanting to offend muslims in particular?

Respect.

tut tut.:rolleyes:

Why only respect for Islam? I'm assuming dressing as Brian was some reference to the life of Brian?

Why only respect for Islam? I'm assuming dressing as Brian was some reference to the life of Brian?

It's not out of respect for Islam alone. It's out of repect for the reply Farasoi gave. She would be offended out of love for her prophet, not for hating the person dressing up as him. I think that deserves great respect.

And Correct.

It's not out of respect for Islam alone. It's out of repect for the reply Farasoi gave. She would be offended out of love for her prophet, not for hating the person dressing up as him. I think that deserves great respect.

So you go to this party as Brian a caricature of Jesus? What about a Christians love for their savior Jesus Christ? You don't need to be told this, I'm sure you know it already. But you will be deeply offending many devout Christians going as the character from the Life of Brian.

This whole process you've gone through of checking if it will offend anyone is ludicrous to begin with and why have you only checked here on the Islam board? Why didn't you feel the need to check with Christians on their board?

^^^

I keep getting a picture of two guys in white robes and false beards looking at each other at a fancy dress party going...

"who are the hell are you supposed to be?!"

• Advertisement

So you go to this party as Brian a caricature of Jesus? What about a Christians love for their savior Jesus Christ? You don't need to be told this, I'm sure you know it already. But you will be deeply offending many devout Christians going as the character from the Life of Brian.

This whole process you've gone through of checking if it will offend anyone is ludicrous to begin with and why have you only checked here on the Islam board? Why didn't you feel the need to check with Christians on their board?

Excuse me, Brian was NOT a caricature of Jesus. Maybe you need to watch the movie before making comment.

Brian is only a movie prophet therefore I cannot offend the characters from the movie.

Just to clarify, In the movie, Jesus was born a few stables down from Brian, so infact the Life of Brian had nothing to do with Jesus.

And for your second point, you need to read my first post again. Also All this was in response to this thread.

Advertisement