Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christians insisting that I'm a Satanist

Options
  • 30-09-2008 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Before you read further; this thread is purely to complain, I'm not trying to cause any arguments and I'm not stereotyping. Just b*tching :p

I was talking to a group of friends today (note: we had just come out of a science lecture) and the subject of religion came -casually- up.

Basically one of my friends said to me (and believes) that if you don't believe in God you're a satanist. I asked him what made him think I'd believe that there was such a thing as an "evil" God since I don't follow the good one, to which he stated again, "If you don't believe in God you're definately a satanist... or a pagan"

It was one of those times when I had to laugh and walk away or end up in a state of sheer frustration and probably an argument.

Thinking back, I recall my Granny calling me a pagan when I was a teen because I didn't want to go to mass.

My first problem: What the heck is with the association that christians seem to make between satanism and paganism?

My second problem
    : What the heck is with the association that he made between atheism and satanism?

Are they taught this in mass or something? Does it say somewhere in the bible that athiests actually secretly worship their Gods arch nemesis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Back in the wee days of history, the christians made out the pagans to be followers of Satan. That is how the pentagram was made out to be his symbol even though it actually belonged to the pagans.
    Cant source this at the moment, but thats what I remember.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just because you don't believe in Satan doesn't mean he doesn't believe in you.

(BTW, If this becomes a "Christians are stupid" thread it will be quietly closed).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I can't condone what the person said, but do Christians (plural) insist that you are a Satanist, or was it simply a Christian (singular)? If it's the latter then your title is misleading.

I would assume the Satanic association with paganism arises because paganism and the occult are often though of as hand in glove. As for the atheism being association with Satanism, I've never heard of such a thing until this post. At a guess, I would think that they are taking a broad view that rejection of God ultimately comes from Satan... or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Sounds headrecking. Very headrecking. Politely point out his mistakes or else do not enage in such conversations ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I have to say that thankfully most Christians don't assume atheists are satanists. The only one that ever accused me of it is CDfm :pac: But I think that can be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'm sure that some fundies do of course think this, but coming from people who don't think, what do you expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

but coming from people who don't think, what do you expect?

*Yawn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

If you keep insisting on playing led zeppelin songs backwards people will keep making this mistake...

Just read this post over next door!

Dades wrote: »
    Just read this post over next door!

Haha...fit for His seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I had this for the last 4 years of my school career. Even had teachers calling me a satanist. Was a blast once I got over it and started toying with them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Basicallly people are inherently wicked due to original sin, and Satan is always looking for a way to control you. Worshipping God is the only way to ensure you remain free of his influence.

Basically they're saying that you're travelling to Africa without getting your shots.

Christians are stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I wouldnt mind it OP, if some people want to be completely ignorant of teh world around them, thats up to them.

Don't make me send you to the naughty step, Zillah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Why are they always picking on the satanists huh?

... I dont see any references to cities put to the sword, daughters raped by bellowing crowds, women turned into table condiments or directives to ignore the basic instincts in life from the humble Satanist.

*my house parties don't count

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Weidii wrote: »
    Before you read further; this thread is purely to complain, I'm not trying to cause any arguments and I'm not stereotyping. Just b*tching :p

well, what would the call a muslim? jew? buddist? or is it just specicifally atheists & pagans who are classed as satanists ?

if they say "if you dont believe in God you a satanist" then that person is kinda silly. . they must live in a small world with not much happening ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Satanists believe in god.

studiorat wrote: »
    Satanists believe in god.

No. They don't.

You mean a Satan "worpshiper" or "devil worshiper".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism

There are theistic Satanists but it's a little more complex than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I think in the context of the OP, it's correct.

I doubt if the OP's friends are au fait with the philosophies and customs of the modern pagan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Basically one of my friends said to me (and believes) that if you don't believe in God you're a satanist.
    I'd fire back that he's the one believing in an evil god -- the Old Testament raping and pillaging and all of that. Since you don't believe that this god exists, you can conclude to your friend that he's the satanist and you're not.

Then retire to a safe distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Poor aul Satan gets a bad rep. How many people did he kill in the Bible? One? Even that one is dubious. How many did God...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I would definitely agree with one previous posters assertation, I don't believe Christians are stupid myself, I have the opinion that all organised religion is a load of my bum!
    that part I agree with, is that whilst being non-religious, if someone of any religion, be they christian or otherwise, decides to call you a satanist or evil or whatever, this person is so into their own headfook way of thinking that you might as well just play along for a little fun and profess to be an actual "honest to god" satanist and see how they react to that - that sort of thing can be quite fun; professing unrealistic and outlandish views which will probably be taken at face value by whomever you are taunting
    it helps remove any anger you have towards someone for thinking/behaving towards you in what I regard as a bizarre fashion, and is also fun to boot :)

He does indeed get a bad rep. Like when he tempted Eve? He was just trying to get her to think logically.

Actually, when I first read that passage of the bible, I thought "Hey, this is metaphor for an atheist telling someone to use reason."

Maybe there is some truth to the assertation that atheists have something to do with Satan? Maybe he's modelled on us?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I was talking to a group of friends today (note: we had just come out of a science lecture) and the subject of religion came -casually- up.

Basically one of my friends said to me (and believes) that if you don't believe in God you're a satanist. I asked him what made him think I'd believe that there was such a thing as an "evil" God since I don't follow the good one, to which he stated again, "If you don't believe in God you're definately a satanist... or a pagan"

It was one of those times when I had to laugh and walk away or end up in a state of sheer frustration and probably an argument.

Thinking back, I recall my Granny calling me a pagan when I was a teen because I didn't want to go to mass.

My first problem: What the heck is with the association that christians seem to make between satanism and paganism?

My second problem
    : What the heck is with the association that he made between atheism and satanism?

Are they taught this in mass or something? Does it say somewhere in the bible that athiests actually secretly worship their Gods arch nemesis?

To be fair this is just one christian, and he sounds like a bit of an idiot in all honesty, so I wouldn't pay too much heed. And paganism is widely misunderstood anyway.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Poor aul Satan gets a bad rep. How many people did he kill in the Bible? One? Even that one is dubious. How many did God...?

I would definitely point that out alright. Satan for all his alleged evilness didn't actually do a whole lot wrong, whereas if the god of the bible were around today he'd be dragged before the international criminal court on charges of mass murder and crimes against humanity, amongst other things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Galvasean wrote: »

http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/funny-graphs-god-v-satan.jpg

studiorat wrote: »
    I think in the context of the OP, it's correct.

I doubt if the OP's friends are au fait with the philosophies and customs of the modern pagan.

Satanists are not pagans. They are, by definition, atheists.

In that sense, the vast majority of people would actually fall foul of the charge "atheists are satanists" (going on the kind of twisted logic behind most religious thought anyway).

Satanists are not pagans. They are, by definition, atheists.

Are they? But what about if they believe satan to be the real god?

I'm not sure exactly what satanists do believe to be honest, or what's the point of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I have never met anyone who was a Christian by conviction (as opposed to a cultural Catholic who knows little or nothing about religion or atheism) who would equate atheists with Satanists.

I would question whether the OP really heard or understood what this 'Christian' was saying. Did they actually call the OP a 'Satanist'? Or did they say he/she was a child of Satan, or controlled by Satan, or some other similar phrase?

The reason I ask this is that most Christians believe that in the ordinary course of events Satan has a controlling influence over all human beings. Indeed, according to the Christian Gospel, the only way to be free from such control is to become a disciple of Jesus Christ.

I realise this will probably be more offensive to some of you to be called a puppet of Satan than to be called a worshipper of Satan - but then again, why get overly worried about what stupid Christians believe?

I for one would prefer to be a "Puppet of Satan" rather than a Satanist.

There's an air of blissful ignorance about the former.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Are they? But what about if they believe satan to be the real god?

I'm not sure exactly what satanists do believe to be honest, or what's the point of it.

Again, fairly large difference between a "satanist" and a "Satan Worshipper".

Satanist - follower of a particular philosophy espousing atheism, self indulgence and a revolt against most superstitions.

Satan Worshipper - Someone who actively believes in a demonic or celestial embodiment of evil.

This is a massive over-simplification but I feel that a line between these two should be drawn.

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    I realise this will probably be more offensive to some of you to be called a puppet of Satan than to be called a worshipper of Satan - but then again, why get overly worried about what stupid Christians believe?

Offensive? Nah not really. Personally I'd find it hard to be offended by something I consider to be a load of made-up nonsense.

Advertisement