Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christians insisting that I'm a Satanist

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

In a sense the Christian in the OP is correct but wrong for expressing it. Jesus said don’t judge others because you yourself will be judged as you have judged, so if you want to be a Christian, which is someone who follows Jesus, then you must do what He says and this is one of those things.

He also said that those who do not gather with Him, scatter. That means that with God there is no neutral gear. If God and Satan exist, then it follows that if you are not under God's control then you are under Satan's control. Why? Because Jesus calls Him the ruler of the kingdoms of this world, the Apostle Paul calls him “The Prince of the power of the air” and as such he is pretty much in control of things down here. Although invisible to human sensory apparatus Satan can still be discerned in this world. You need only to try and do something for God to find how much in the grip of Satan the world really is. I am not saying try and do something good as you would define it, I’m saying try doing something that you believe God would have you do (even if you don’t believe in him) and see how far you get. Take praying for instance. Even those who are frequent prayers will admit that it is not something that one does by instinct. It is wrestled with and fought over every time you decide to do it. That is the kind of power we are talking about here. Not a fiery red, cloven hoofed, pitch fork holding hybrid of nature. I’m talking about a power that “GRIPS” the world. Now atheists don’t believe in either God or Satan but this does nothing to alter whether or not they truly exist. If they do exist then their existence is not predicated on whether people believe in them or not. It’s either true or it isn’t. Atheists will point to the natural world and make the case that these things do not exist in nature. And yes that is true they don’t exist in nature, if they are real at all then they are both outside of what we call nature, but being outside of nature does not mean that they cannot influence nature.

So he is right that that the OP is a Satanists because if Satan exists then everyone is a Satanist if we define the term ‘Satanist’ as someone who is simply in the grip of a force that they cannot comprehend called Satan.

Now on the issue of God being more of a murderer than Satan. Like above, if we conclude or assume that God does truly exist and that He is the Giver of all life then it follows that as the Giver of all life, that He has the right to take it away again. And if that is the case then it can also be deduced that it is He who has killed everybody that has ever died. That does not make Him more of a murderer than Satan though. In fact if the life giving attribute can be attributed to God then He cannot murder by definition. He can only take what is rightfully His to begin with back to Himself. Satan however (if it assumed exists) is a created being. He has no right to take life unless He is commanded by God to do so. Satan assuming he exists was the first rebel. He rebelled against God in heaven. He decided that it will be he who will be top dog there and for which he was cast out. Now it is his business to thwart God’s purposes here on earth. If God exists then He has a plan for His creation that Satan wants to destroy. He (Satan) has no other goals. Just make sure God’s purposes are not done. And you need only look at the news today to see this destruction in many of its forms. Now you might argue that it is humans who are doing all this and in a sense you are right but if Satan exists and I believe He does then it becomes apparent that the darkness in this world is caused by him and yes he uses and has used religion many times to achieve this. He always comes as an angel of light. He will never come and say ‘follow me’ he’ll simply suggest to your heart that following God is bad, or non beneficial and will lead to eternal slavery and so on. He will tell you to do your own thing. Look after yourself, you don’t need God. Well that is only true if God doesn’t exist, but if He does exist then what lies these are for the destruction of the soul. All life needs the giver of life to sustain it, even if you don’t believe it exists. I breathed oxygen for years before I understood what oxygen was and why and how much I need it to survive. My previous ignorance of my needing of oxygen did not negate my need of it nor did it stop my intake of it. Same with God, if He truly does exist then our ignorance of Him does not negate this fact and we need Him for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Satan compels me to tell all the Christians to take a hike and get out of the A&A forum, GGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Good job Satan's not in charge around these parts.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Satan compels me to tell all the Christians to take a hike and get out of the A&A forum, GGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's way too interesting in here. I'm staying :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Dades wrote: »
    Good job Satan's not in charge around these parts.
    He is a CMOD. He like to leave the day to day drudgery of forum modding to his minions. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

tasmanian-devil.jpg

devil worshipper

• Registered Users Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dades wrote: »
    (BTW, If this becomes a "Christians are stupid" thread it will be quietly closed).
    Theres nothing stupid about Christianity but there are a select few followers of any religion that seem to just get it wrong. I mean look at Bin Laden - he was a ripe old apple of islamic faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Overheal wrote: »
    Theres nothing stupid about Christianity

:D

At least that gave me my first Friday laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Like above, if we conclude or assume that God does truly exist and that He is the Giver of all life then it follows that as the Giver of all life, that He has the right to take it away again.

No. This is a despicable sycophantic notion.
    Satan assuming he exists was the first rebel. He rebelled against God in heaven. He decided that it will be he who will be top dog there and for which he was cast out.

Not really actually, everyone is very vague on why Satan rebelled. In some cases it was pride; he no longer wished to serve. In other cases it had to do with humanity and freewill. Mormons believe Satan rebelled because God chose Jesus to be the saviour of humanity over him.

I've always found the devil to be quite a wonderful character really. Rebelling against an all powerful entity, that takes moxy. Although in Paradise Lost Milton finds a clever way around this: Satan didn't know God was all powerful until after the war. Very clever that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Does anyone (who believes in God) believe that Satanists actually exist. Does Satan actually have followers on earth?

Is he a kind of mini bad-God, can he listen to their 'prayers', can he reward his followers on earth? Has he provided any literature through prophets to tell his followers how to behave and how to worship him?

It's also interesting that this seemingly quite powerful being is never blamed for natural disasters. Even Anglican bishops believe that God sends floods not the devil. He seemingly has superpowers to manipulate human minds into doing evil, yet can't interact with the rest of the physical universe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Shapes

I wonder how many Christians would subscribe to The Conversations With God point of view that there is no Satan save for an imaginary character in mythology?

As a free thinking Christian (one who believes that the teachings of Jesus made perfect sense yet they need to be seen as teachings for a time OF the time of Jesus) I believe in the teaching of the Torah, which states that Jews should not make light of anothers religious or spiritual beliefs, as no-one can be so sure of there own beliefs in the face of no concrete proof to prove those beliefs true or false.

It has to be said that I see no reason for anyone to call you a satanist just because you don't believe in God. Total nonsense. Quantam mechanics is leading us more down the road of philosophy these days and you will find astrologists who believe there is a point where astrology and pure mathematics meet. If we were to add the mechanics and physics of astronomy to that mix and we seem to be getting somewhere closer to the truth.

Conversations With God also states that we are getting close to technology that could leads us into a wonderland of discovery about ourselves, the universe and all life but conversley warns that the same technology could be used to send us back to the heavens by blowing ourselves apart.

Revelations points to massive earthquakes, tsunamis and financial chaos before 'the end'. Prophesy of the obvious or a statement of intent? Christians would have you believe there will be a great war to end all wars but who's to say that the end doesn't come with knowledge and awareness leading to a dissipation of 'evil' (bad feeling towards each other)?

No one can say with any certainty that they are right beyond all doubt and anyone who says they can, is a liar. (So far !!:O))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Satanist Forum needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Zillah wrote: »
    Not really actually, everyone is very vague on why Satan rebelled. In some cases it was pride; he no longer wished to serve. In other cases it had to do with humanity and freewill. Mormons believe Satan rebelled because God chose Jesus to be the saviour of humanity over him.

I've always found the devil to be quite a wonderful character really. Rebelling against an all powerful entity, that takes moxy. Although in Paradise Lost Milton finds a clever way around this: Satan didn't know God was all powerful until after the war. Very clever that.

I always thought the image of Satan as "the rebel" who got himself kicked out of heaven for the sin of pride was a poetic construct from the Milton poem Paradise lost and not actually part of the Bible.

Maybe I need to read the Bible closer (ha!).

pH wrote: »
    Does anyone (who believes in God) believe that Satanists actually exist. Does Satan actually have followers on earth?

Is he a kind of mini bad-God, can he listen to their 'prayers', can he reward his followers on earth? Has he provided any literature through prophets to tell his followers how to behave and how to worship him?

It's also interesting that this seemingly quite powerful being is never blamed for natural disasters. Even Anglican bishops believe that God sends floods not the devil. He seemingly has superpowers to manipulate human minds into doing evil, yet can't interact with the rest of the physical universe.

Actualyl thats an interesting question.

Most of the so-called "worshippers of Satan" are in actuallity involved in one kind of demonology (or deomanalatry) or another. From what I can find out there are very few (if any) sects which actively worship Lucifer (since he wasnt a demon to begin with but a greek muse or embodiment of light) prefering to worship one of the major Goetian demons (commonly) Belial, Leviathan, Baal or Beelzebub. Most of these names were hijacked from older deities or spirits by early monotheists and corrupted into the so-called demon archtypes we see being worshipped today.

It also appears that the majority of so-called worshippers have some very convoluted ideas of what these demons are supposed to be about and a peculiar penchant for judeo christian trappings and ritual systems. In other words, they seem to have even less idea of their own history etc than the average christian.

studiorat wrote: »
    Satanist Forum needed!

Requested.

No. This is a despicable sycophantic notion.

Well if it’s true then it doesn't really make any difference does it? In any case God is not a Sycophant. That defines somebody who attempts to win favor through flattery. God never does that, it's either live or die with God, you choose. To live you must put your faith in Him, to die you just put your faith in anything else. If He exists then this is the way He is and as an immutable being he changes not.

I doubt very much that Satan would be fighting with Jesus in the “who gets to go to Calvary” competition. As to why Satan was cast out? Here's how Isaiah puts it:

"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit." Isaiah 14:12-15

Well if Isaiah is correct then Satan did know that God was almighty because he calls Him the "Most High", so your first statement is right, that does take moxy all be it a tad foolish.

Well if it’s true then it doesn't really make any difference does it? In any case God is not a Sycophant. That defines somebody who attempts to win favor through flattery. God never does that, it's either live or die with God, you choose. To live you must put your faith in Him, to die you just put your faith in anything else. If He exists then this is the way He is and as an immutable being he changes not.

I was referring to you and your God-boot-licking associates.
    I doubt very much that Satan would be fighting with Jesus in the “who gets to go to Calvary” competition.

So do I! There's all sorts of silly things I have doubts about. Doesn't change the fact that the Mormons still believe it.
    Well if Isaiah is correct then Satan did know that God was almighty because he calls Him the "Most High", so your first statement is right, that does take moxy all be it a tad foolish.

Most High does not equal "Infinitely High". I can be the tallest person in my class without being infinitely tall.

Yeah Satan is awesome.

Shapes wrote: »
    Quantam mechanics is leading us more down the road of philosophy these days

No it isn't.
    and you will find astrologists who believe there is a point where astrology and pure mathematics meet.

Why would anyone care what Astrologists think? They're experts in charlatanry, nothing more.
    If we were to add the mechanics and physics of astronomy to that mix and we seem to be getting somewhere closer to the truth.

What mix? Add how? What truth? Is there anything to this other than wishy washy pseudo science?
    No one can say with any certainty that they are right beyond all doubt and anyone who says they can, is a liar. (So far !!:O))

Since when do we require "beyond all doubt"? That's impossible and pointless. I'm going to be intellectually sloppy and say that I'll accept a 99.99% accuracy and say that every religious person on this planet is talking nonesense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Yeah Satan is awesome.

So he's real then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Shapes

No it isn't....

Try watching Elegant Universe

Why would anyone care what Astrologists think? They're experts in charlatanry, nothing more.

Prove it

What mix? Add how? What truth? Is there anything to this other than wishy washy pseudo science?

Mix of astrology, quantum mechanics and mathematics, read the post.

Since when do we require "beyond all doubt"? That's impossible and pointless. I'm going to be intellectually sloppy and say that I'll accept a 99.99% accuracy and say that every religious person on this planet is talking nonesense.

I never said it was required and the point I was making is that all religion is nonsense if it affirms itself to be right and everyone else wrong. It was also impossible to travel around the world in the past due to the 'reality' of falling off the edge of the world, impossible is only a matter of current understanding. If God or Satan were to appear, would it still be impossible?

I appreciate your

• Advertisement

Most High does not equal "Infinitely High". I can be the tallest person in my class without being infinitely tall.

Or it could simply mean 'the one who is the Most High' i.e. no one higher, the Boss, the Top Dog etc etc... Hence Satan's obsession to usurp Him, which failed, so maybe not as awesome as one might think.
    Yeah Satan is awesome.

Eh??? yeah whatever??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Eh??? yeah whatever??

In fairness god still hasn't taken care of that red little secret, give Satan a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I wonder how many Christians would subscribe to The Conversations With God point of view that there is no Satan save for an imaginary character in mythology?

As a free thinking Christian (one who believes that the teachings of Jesus made perfect sense yet they need to be seen as teachings for a time OF the time of Jesus) I believe in the teaching of the Torah, which states that Jews should not make light of anothers religious or spiritual beliefs, as no-one can be so sure of there own beliefs in the face of no concrete proof to prove those beliefs true or false

You started off so well!

Quantam mechanics is leading us more down the road of philosophy these days and you will find astrologists who believe there is a point where astrology and pure mathematics meet. If we were to add the mechanics and physics of astronomy to that mix and we seem to be getting somewhere closer to the truth.

Then it all went badly wrong.

Sorry shapes but that is nothing more than meaningless gibberish.

I like the 'insist' part of the thread tile.
    Gentlemanly debate:

Christian: !Thou arth a satanist."

Atheist: "No, I'm not."

Christian: "Oh but I insist!"

Atheist: "Now that you mention it..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I like the 'insist' part of the thread tile.
    Gentlemanly debate:

Christian: !Thou arth a satanist."

Atheist: "No, I'm not."

Christian: "Oh but I insist!"

Atheist: "Now that you mention it..."

The OP is a contender for most misleading-thread-title-award anyway. One christian suggests I might be a satanist = christians (plural) insisting that I'm a satanist.

Why would anyone care? If someone said that to me I'd just laugh. Satan doesn't exist anyway so I'd find it hard to be bothered tbh. They may as well call me a santaist.

Try watching Elegant Universe

No, you're the one making the argument, I'd like to hear it from you. Right now, what you said above makes no sense.

Prove it

No, you prove its anything but. Astrology has completely failed to do anything other than dupe a few naive souls.
    Mix of astrology, quantum mechanics and mathematics, read the post.

I did. Again, this is nonesense. Astrology is an invented pseudo-science and there's nothing mystical about quantum mechanics or mathematics.

It sounds like someone with a religious bent has tried to lend validity to their nonesense by attaching it to respectable scientific endeavours. Or they've simply not understood those endeavours and misinterpreted them according to their warped world view.
    I never said it was required and the point I was making is that all religion is nonsense if it affirms itself to be right and everyone else wrong. It was also impossible to travel around the world in the past due to the 'reality' of falling off the edge of the world, impossible is only a matter of current understanding.

This is a variety of the very tired argument "In the past we have been wrong about other stuff so we might be wrong about this stuff", which is technically correct but ultimately meaningless. Modern science is very sure about its theories, and has evidence and predictions to back it up. There's no point dismissing them just because people have made mistakes in the past.

Your point about religions is quite right, no religion has a right to say they're right and all others are wrong, because they're all just making stuff up.
    If God or Satan were to appear, would it still be impossible?

You're basically asking me that if God exists does he exist. Yes. If God exists he does exist.

He doesn't though.
    JimiTime wrote: »
    So he's real then?

No but the literary character of Satan exists.

In fairness god still hasn't taken care of that red little secret, give Satan a break.

Not with ya. Can you elaborate please? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Not with ya. Can you elaborate please? :confused:

I meant to say "little red problem" it says a lot about Satan if he can exist in spite of God.

Interesting point cortex. Would God not simply do away with Satan for good. Or does he relish the challenge of the battle for souls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

No but the literary character of Satan exists.

If you even have to point this out I think the argument is pointless. Either you are being batted around like a mouse or you are dealing with people who cannot think.

Advertisement