Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you need to be involved in your community to become a Guard?

• 30-09-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Ok so I keep reading about how the Gardaí look for people who are involved in their community and stuff like that.

I'm not involved in anything where I'm from and I don't play any sports (I hate GAA, sorry!) so would that go against me if I or anyone in a similar position were to try join up!?

I'm not anti-social or anything, just not a lot going on in my area really! :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

It will help, but to be honest, it doesn't really make much of a difference when it comes to joining, when you get out on phase 2 and 4 they expect you to get involved with the community you go into though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 redlane

Not sure what kind of benefit it is but I can confirm that there is plenty going on in Limerick for people to get involved in their community or in community activities. It can't do you any harm anyway, so why not do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

in your own community you dont need any involvement in anything. it certainly helps but isnt essential. as mentioned though for phase 2 and 4 you will need active involvement in whichever community you get placed in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

What sort of things would you consider as being 'involved in your comunity' ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sn0

Join a scout troop, look after old neighbors, do some voluntary work for a charity.
    There are lots of things that you can do that fit the bracket of community involvement, nearly every one of these are free, rewarding and as time-consuming as you want them to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Don't become 'involved in your community' just so it'll look good on a CV. Do it because you want to!

Advertisement