Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next step in SuperMediaCentre

Options
  • 30-09-2008 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I built my own system last year and am looking to move it to a new case/move the HDD's to another case/enclosure.

My system is as follows....

OrigenAE S21T case http://www.origenae.com/en/htpc_s21t.htm
    Really over rated case that cost £800/E1014, it has a touch screen that just about works 50% of the time you tap it.

The reason I got it was because it holds 10 HDD's, and I must say the build quality is second to none!

The rest of the stuff was all good a year ago, you know the score E6600/8800Gts/2Gb bla bla, its not really relevant.

I have installed right now 7 1Tb drives, in raid5 (6Tb of useable space) with the help of a dedicated raid card.

I have my OS on an SSD and just use the 6Tb for media storage.

What I need advice on is this............to mine and all my friends horror I am running low on HDD space! I need to add more drives but the case, while it can hold 10 drives, is getting too cramped and its a bitch to work on!

So does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

I think in an ideal situation I would like the HDDs in a different case to the rest of the system........what are my options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i'd say its time to delete some pr0n. or wait along for 2tb drives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Assuming these are films or whatever, just move the ones you've seen/use less onto large external drives no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Cheers guys,

Moving the films to external drives will not give me the security of having them in Raid5, I know the chances of a drive going down whilst not in use is slim but I have had it happen. Twice!

The problem with waiting for 2Tb drives is, when they come out I will have to buy the same amount storage capacity/more storage an it would mean setting up an entirely new Raid system, I cant just add a 2Tb drive, it will only use 1Tb of it...............and believe me that route is expensive and will take days to build and transfer everything.

I think what I am going to do is build a custom external HDD enclosure, with its own power supply and cooling system and then run SATA cables back to the MoBo in the case its in now. With this option I wont be limited with space and cooling will be top notch!

I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

my uncle has 19 external hd's one 1tb, a few 750gb and the rest 5o0gb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

guil07 wrote: »
    my uncle has 19 external hd's one 1tb, a few 750gb and the rest 5o0gb

Where does he keep them all?

• Advertisement
Advertisement