Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man?

Options
  • 30-09-2008 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing The Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man as one of their comparative texts?

We've read it and I was lost after the moo-cow going down the road in the first line :rolleyes:

Anyone know anything about father/son relationships in it? As far as I can see there really isn't one there, but I must find one of else the whole book is useless to me! :eek:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I'm doing it. It's the worst book I've ever read...

I guess you could say there was some sense of relationship at the start. I remember a big event was him and his dad going somewhere alone to a town or something. There's really not that much father/son relationship.. I wish I could help more but I spent the whole English class daydreaming when we were reading this. If you're doing the comparitive, might as well contrast with whatever you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 daffy-duck

OMG im doing it nd its sooooooo ****!! the father son relationship is when they go to cork together and stephen sees that his father isent his biggest idol anymore. its kinda like that old sayin that u have to kill ur father to love him r it goes sumting like that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Because it's one of your comparative texts, you don't have to know it inside out. Start by getting a plot overview, try www.sparknotes.com, then read the chapter summaries. If you know what the novel is about, you're getting somewhere. Then you need to focus on key moments e.g. the young girl on the beach, the argument at dinner. At the end of the day, it's moments from the texts you need to compare with moments from your other texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

deemark wrote: »
    Then you need to focus on key moments e.g. the young girl on the beach, the argument at dinner. At the end of the day, it's moments from the texts you need to compare with moments from your other texts.

:eek: I wasn't aware there was a girl on a beach or an arguement at dinner. I swear to god I died a little inside everytime she read it.

I will try that, thanks. I wrote the essay but with vague sentences which made it glaringly obvious I know nothing about it!

Glad to know I'm not the only one at a complete loss with it too :D

Advertisement