Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dvd not recognised

• 30-09-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm the afternoon searching to try and solve this problem, so hoping someone here can help me out.

I'm running Windows XP with sp2 on an Ankermann PC
    mobo AsRock 4 CoreDual-VSTA
    Power Supply LKN 550 Watt 12cm
    CPU 775 Core 2 Duo E6400 2x2,13GHz
    PCI-e NVidea GeForce 7600GT Triple-XXX 256MB
    2GB DDR2 Ram

This was supplied with DVD-Drive Samsung SH-D162C the CD part of which always worked but I only discovered well after I'd bought it that the DVD bit didn't. Thought I'd take the easy way out and just replace it with a new DVD rewriter LG GSA-H55N but same problem.

There's no problem writing /reading to CD's but somethings not recognising blank DVD's. It should recognise all formats, I've tried DVD-RW DVD+RW and DVD-R and while the little icon in My Computer changes to the correct one, its showing no available or used space. When I try to copy a file Windows gives an error that says 'Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do. Retry. Cancel' Normal DVD's play with no problems

I've updatted my BIOS and the DVD firmware to no avail.
    Hope I gave enough info. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi all, I'm the afternoon searching to try and solve this problem, so hoping someone here can help me out.

I'm running Windows XP with sp2 on an Ankermann PC
    mobo AsRock 4 CoreDual-VSTA
    Power Supply LKN 550 Watt 12cm
    CPU 775 Core 2 Duo E6400 2x2,13GHz
    PCI-e NVidea GeForce 7600GT Triple-XXX 256MB
    2GB DDR2 Ram

This was supplied with DVD-Drive Samsung SH-D162C the CD part of which always worked but I only discovered well after I'd bought it that the DVD bit didn't. Thought I'd take the easy way out and just replace it with a new DVD rewriter LG GSA-H55N but same problem.

There's no problem writing /reading to CD's but somethings not recognising blank DVD's. It should recognise all formats, I've tried DVD-RW DVD+RW and DVD-R and while the little icon in My Computer changes to the correct one, its showing no available or used space. When I try to copy a file Windows gives an error that says 'Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do. Retry. Cancel' Normal DVD's play with no problems

I've updatted my BIOS and the DVD firmware to no avail.
    Hope I gave enough info. Any help would be much appreciated.

Did you format the discs for UDF format first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

go to bargain ,2euro,shop, get dvd lens cleaning kit 2euro,Clean the lens.
    OR download a live cd unix boot cd,or ebcd, using imgburn write iso to a blank dvdr ,if it boots up unix that means the winxp drivers,or files for dvd writing or burning are screwed up.download cdburnerxp,try burning a cd,dvd.you may have a virus /malware, eg had a virus once ,everthing worked fine,except the keyboard .the virus wipedthe driver files.
    IVE never once had to format a dvd ,uninstall nero ,instALL CDBURNER XP .my laptop dvd reads cds ,sees all dvds as blank disks,i havent got round to fixing it, i just reinstalled winxp ,it made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Hi guys, thanks for the prompt replies.

Spear: I've used these disks before and never had to format them.

Gamer: I'm regularly running up to date ad-aware, spybot, avast, ccleaner and advanced windowscare, so hopefully am virus/malware free, I wonder have they messed up the registry though, I just accept the recomended actiond all the time. Despite lots of googling I don't fully understand this; 'download a live cd unix boot cd,or ebcd, using imgburn write iso to a blank dvdr'

The good news however is that I tried cdburner and it works, which has frankly left me even more confused:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Any further ideas would be apreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

SOUNDS like some dvd driver files are missing,or screwed up, google linux live cd, download linux image ,iso, download imageburn program, use image burn function, browse to linux iso,file, burn the image file, browse to image file,eg linuxlive.iso , use image burn command on the menu , it produces a bootable linux os, insert in cdrom drive, set bios mode,boot options, cdrom priority, 1st boot = dvdrom/cdrom drive.reboot pc, if linux loads off a dvdr disk,that means winxp, files to do with dvd driver file acess,control,are damaged,or missing ,or you have some kind of malware.
    I reinstalled winxp, and i still cant read dvds on my laptop,reads cdroms ok.or cdrs.OR borrow a bootable dvdrom/dvdr off some1 .I,m just too busy to fix my dvddrive at the moment.try burning a dvdr with cdburnerXP.I think sddoctor is much better than adaware ,re stopping spyware,but sd is not free.do online scan with kapersky ,its free.uninstall nero,its a grossly complex,unweidly program in my opinion,cdburnerxp,is better and easier to use.

Advertisement