Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary schools Megamerge

Options
  • 20-08-2007 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

What do you think are the best schools in Bray and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Gerards has an excellent standard of teaching! Probably the most academic school in the area. Great for sport too. Pity about the D4's! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

karmabass wrote:
    Gerards has an excellent standard of teaching! Probably the most academic school in the area. Great for sport too. Pity about the D4's! :D

yeah, i have to go with this my friend's dad was principal there for a while and my friend went there. everyone one of her school friends are over achievers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Is Gerards private?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I currently go to Gerards.

Yes it is private, and it is very expensive. My parents work like mad to send me there, so i try not to waste it. And about the D4's, its more Wannabe D4's aswell which is more pathetic., not so much in the older years, but in 1st and 2nd year its rediculous!

The facilities in the school are amazing now, but only recently, and the sports programme has come on alot.

Ill be going into 6th year in 2 weeks, and as far as i know there is little to no bullying or any crap like that all down thorugh the years and from what i year from my mates (non-Gerards mates) that is strange. But good.

Ive got alot of friends going to Pres which is all boys and that sounds good aswell but i can only say what i know.

As the 2nd poster said some of the teachers are exellent. But not all. Id say if your willing to spend the money Gerards is worth it, but ive got friends who love Pres/Loreto so im sure their good also.

If your talking about Primary schools then what i said still stands for Gerards. And St.Cronins is where almost every boy in Bray goes.

Theres always Colaiste Rathin!

ok well out of the non private schools what would people recommmend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    I currently go to Gerards.

Yes it is private, and it is very expensive. My parents work like mad to send me there, so i try not to waste it. And about the D4's, its more Wannabe D4's aswell which is more pathetic., not so much in the older years, but in 1st and 2nd year its rediculous!

The facilities in the school are amazing now, but only recently, and the sports programme has come on alot.

Ill be going into 6th year in 2 weeks, and as far as i know there is little to no bullying or any crap like that all down thorugh the years and from what i year from my mates (non-Gerards mates) that is strange. But good.

Ive got alot of friends going to Pres which is all boys and that sounds good aswell but i can only say what i know.

As the 2nd poster said some of the teachers are exellent. But not all. Id say if your willing to spend the money Gerards is worth it, but ive got friends who love Pres/Loreto so im sure their good also.

If your talking about Primary schools then what i said still stands for Gerards. And St.Cronins is where almost every boy in Bray goes.

Theres always Colaiste Rathin!
    Do you think your punctuation is typical of the St. Gerard's student body? :D

Wifey and one of my best friends both went to Gerard's and both were removed by their parents and sent to other schools. Both cited that the school is indeed full of the D4 wannabes and the standards weren't that high, education wise.

Foxy, as someone who went to a national primary school and then to a fee paying secondary, I'd say there's no need to waste your money on a private primary school.

No I won't be doing that Mike. I have a son in St. Kevins in Greystones now but was thinking of moving him now that we are living in Bray. St. Kevins is a great school though and I would love to leave him there but its awkward trying to organise childcare and I am going to have to do that in the coming months. So really what I was looking for was a recommmendation from parents in the area or even people that went to school in Bray.

Its primary schools I'm looking at at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

best non private schools in bray are:

colaiste raithin and presentation college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

It has been mentioned but I have to agree. I have two boys in St. Cronan's and can't speak highly enough of it. Terrific school with and after school club if you need that. Great activities etc.

thanks brayblue. I am thinking of sending my lad there but have come across a bit of a problem.

If I send my son there in sept next year then my youngest son will be left in Limbo as St Cronins dont take the infant classes afaik. I dont want to have one in Greystones (where the eldest son went) and then one in Bray. That would be an absolute nightmare. Where do I send my youngest son for Junior and Senior infants?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I went to St Patrick's, St Cronan's and Pres, and I think they are all great schools - Cronans in particular, with the 'newish' (to me anyway) school and facilities, which I unfortunately only got a few months in :( . The Pres building is getting on a bit, and is not a place for non-sport (ie rugby) extra cirrcular activities, but I had good times there, and (some of) the teachers are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Maj

I think the little 'uns start infants in St. Patricks and then the boys are moved out to St. Cronins in 1st class.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well this is the case, but when i was in patricks (long time ago) i was moved up to cronan's for 2nd class.

i was never in the new cronan's school so i don't know if they have the room to take the boys for 1st class now but they definitely didn't when they were in the old school.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

I'm looking for views on st brendans vs pres bray, as a senior school for a boy entering 1st year.

Brendans appears smaller and more more individual but i know very little about Pres.

Any views from parents?

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I went to neither, but I have mates who went to both. The guys who came from Pres, had a lot of good things to say about it and the turned out "normal" middle class lads from normal middle class backrounds. (as in not knackers/scumbags and not stuck up "D4" heads) I had unlces who went there and enjoyed it, so it seems that Pres has kept up a good reputation over the years. I've recommended Pres to my Aunt for my little cousin based on the good things that I've heard.

Brendans on the other hand would be a no-go for me! I know lads who went there and turned out fine, but hadn't much good to say about the place. I know someone who was a teacher there for a year doing their H.Dip and after hearing some of the stories that she told about the place, I was amazed at what a kip the place was. I had a mate who left the school that we were in because it was "too posh" for his liking, went to Brendans and had a ball...he was a complete wanna be scumbag. No way would I let my little cousin go there!

For the record I'm only out of school 4 years myself so I'd say that the schools havent changed much in that time frame.

Hope that helps you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

bdo wrote: »
    I'm looking for views on st brendans vs pres bray, as a senior school for a boy entering 1st year.

Brendans appears smaller and more more individual but i know very little about Pres.

Any views from parents?

Thank you

To be honest, my brother went to Brendan's wasn't fond of it at all and I wa sin Loreto so we had the Loreto / Pres relationship. Pres is very good from what i've heard but have constantly heard bad things about Brendan's.. my parents were also on the committee etc so... yeah there's my piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

bdo wrote: »

Any views from parents?

Thank you

Past pupil of 4 months from Brendans here, so be warned it's a biased view:D

Yeah, the place is a bit run down now, but hey, they have permission and plans in place etc. for a totally new building(which they hope to start sometime next year, ready for 2009/2010 I think). Most of the teachers I had in there were great laugh, really good teachers. Unfortunately, some of them are nearing the end of their teaching careers, but if they still there in a while, you can be lucky to have them. The other teachers I didnt have, I got on great with most of them. Its a really down to Earth place; if you're a ****** and the teacher knows it, well then you'll hate the place. If you're sound and don't act the gob***** most of the time(come on, still kids in secondary school), you'll get on great with the teachers. All the staff will work effortlessly to help you through anything.

Now in saying that, if you want to do medicine or some other 550+ course, then it may not be what you want. If you get too big for your shoes in there, be prepared for a crash landing, cos you'll be put right back in your place. Was there for 6yrs...had a blast, got what I wanted, what more do you need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bridgetb

heard someone that had her kids on both schools and said Pres is much better facilities, teachers grades. that's if you can get them into the school. heard waiting list is long

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

im currently going to st brendans and it may not be the best school for facilities but because the school population is the smallest in bray you cant find a better school for individuality. the teachers have time for every student even troublemakers. basically everyone knows everyone and we have respect for each other. the teachers know every student in the school by name.

:cool::cool::cool:

blay1 wrote: »
    im currently going to st brendans and it may not be the best school for facilities but because the school population is the smallest in bray you cant find a better school for individuality. the teachers have time for every student even troublemakers. basically everyone knows everyone and we have respect for each other. the teachers know every student in the school by name.

so very true!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

em i went to St.Patricks, then St.Cronans and then Pres.

The way it works is that boys ad girls are mixed together in st.patricks until 1st class, and they then move to cronans which is all boys.

Cronans is also one of the main feeder schools for Pres.

Im still in Pres, and i love it! The teachers, in general are good, and considering the building is from the 60's, the facilities are good.
    so yeh, Pres!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

By far the most important element in academic success is the home. If your parents are supportive and have brought you up to try hard and do your best, you will do well in any school, private or not.

If paying for it makes people feel better, go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

spurious wrote: »
    By far the most important element in academic success is the home. If your parents are supportive and have brought you up to try hard and do your best, you will do well in any school, private or not.

If paying for it makes people feel better, go ahead.

i agree! loads of my friends are in a well known fee-paying school, and they all do worse in school than me and my mates. also they are always complaining about their school, particularly about how bad TY is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

foxy06 wrote: »
    thanks brayblue. I am thinking of sending my lad there but have come across a bit of a problem.

If I send my son there in sept next year then my youngest son will be left in Limbo as St Cronins dont take the infant classes afaik. I dont want to have one in Greystones (where the eldest son went) and then one in Bray. That would be an absolute nightmare. Where do I send my youngest son for Junior and Senior infants?
    Does your eldest have long to go in Primary School? Might be best to leave him in St. Kevins if he has only a year or two left? and then from there to Pres, Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I'm currently in 6th year in St. Brendans.

Yes, the building is slightly rundown by modern standards but plans and funding have been sorted and I love the look of the new school. They are currently trying their best their best to keep the current school in as good a condition as possible, during mid-term a new roof was put in. So it shows they want to improve the physical look of the school.

As said before, the school is small with about 350 students. In my opinion, all the teachers are great, very friendly, get to know you personally and willing to help you out as much as possible. My English and Maths teacher currently give up their free time to give extra tuition, Wednesday afternoons and Monday evenings.

As far as I'm aware their isn't any bullying that goes on and with the small numbers, everyone gets to know each other. The school is quite relaxed but if you want to achieve all the possibilities are there.

Plus, we have great sports teams. :D

I'm currently in 6th year in St. Brendans.

Yes, the building is slightly rundown by modern standards but plans and funding have been sorted and I love the look of the new school. They are currently trying their best their best to keep the current school in as good a condition as possible, during mid-term a new roof was put in. So it shows they want to improve the physical look of the school.

As said before, the school is small with about 350 students. In my opinion, all the teachers are great, very friendly, get to know you personally and willing to help you out as much as possible. My English and Maths teacher currently give up their free time to give extra tuition, Wednesday afternoons and Monday evenings.

As far as I'm aware their isn't any bullying that goes on and with the small numbers, everyone gets to know each other. The school is quite relaxed but if you want to achieve all the possibilities are there.

Plus, we have great sports teams. :D

Things are looking up since I left last June then! When are they supposed to be starting the building for the new school? Or do they have planning permission yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Mushy wrote: »
    Things are looking up since I left last June then! When are they supposed to be starting the building for the new school? Or do they have planning permission yet?

I think building is supposed to start possibly this summer, not 100% on that though. All the planning permission has been sorted and you can view the plans for the new school up reception. They look really good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I think building is supposed to start possibly this summer, not 100% on that though. All the planning permission has been sorted and you can view the plans for the new school up reception. They look really good. :)

im in TY, that bloody school will never be built :D

their telling us we'll have one year in the new building, my ar*se :pac:

Oh I've seen thge plans many a time from hanging round talking to people there! Looks really good, really well laid out. I'll pay a visit back there soon, kinda need to talk to some teachers about stuff anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 *Starystary*

Raithin!!Its one of the best schools in my opinon!,Such a friendly, nice and warming atmosphere!:)...the teachers are more like friends then teachers! Great school!:):) to bad they dont let you skip 4th...had to leave:(

Advertisement