Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary schools Megamerge

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

thanks, kate thats just what I wanted to hear about. In st. Davids, in my time, and from what I hear, more recently too, there's a strange lack of camaraderie. I spoke to a younger girl recently who said, ' in st Davids, if you are anyway different, you are basically fecked' . which summs it up nicely! This has badly affected so many people that I know of, and I don't want my daughter to suffer from this too, in combination with the apparent lack of personal and self esteem development at st davids. Your school seems to just have a better general atmosphere, as well as better exam results, and higher ratio of college applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Each to their own dreamingoak and of course you want the best for your daughter.

Probably the best way to assess a second level option is to visit the school (Many of them have open days). Look at their website/see their prospectus (St. David's has these) and yes 'word of mouth' too. But not to rely on one form of information over the other. Taken altogether, and not being too reliant on one source of information will give one a balanced view.

But is it fair to judge St.David's on your own experience which obviously would have been another time and place!

You quote a girl who says if you are different you are 'basically fecked', In most places really if you are any way different life is harder. Sadly this is human nature.

I can't say I've seen or heard of a 'strange lack of camraderie.' The teenagers in the David's school uniform seem typical of their age in various groupings outside the school in the early morning and at lunch time/home time.

A lack of personal and self esteem development is so not true. At the moment the percentage that go on to some form of third level education is 65%, and every child seems valued and encouraged to find their niche in life.

There are great teachers who take a personal interest and superb pastoral care, especially for students with learning difficulties and others whose home situations are not ideal. Where a student is not academic, there are opportunities for him or her in practical subjects like wood work, metal work, home economics, art and in sport.

Listen to the principal talk and you will be in no doubt how true it is that each student is respected and valued.

Good luck in your own search. St.David's may not be for you and your daughter, but it is on the up and up, has very dedicated teachers and is local. Calculate how many days in a year a child spends in the bus or car, even getting to the nearest alternative second level school. It does add up.

Advertisement