Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming competitions...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Costs £20stg to enter the Birds one :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Put 'photography competition' into google.ie last week and got a good few returns, with a couple ending soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Costs £20stg to enter the Birds one :eek:

Believe me there are pricier ones than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

http://www.photocompetitions.com/

Generally lists most of the running ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Digital Camera
    Autumn 2008
    Page 35

Prize - Lowepro Primus AW Backpack worth £179
    (Its not the prize, its the taking part that counts...)

Submission Date - 24 Oct 08

go to www.dcmag.co.uk and click on "mission this month" link

Calina - if it interests you, you have some kitesurfing ones that could do well at this competition

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Metro Newspaper are running a competition too. I think the submissions open on the 6th Oct.

*edited to add - The theme is Urban Jungle

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Was going to enter, but "Unless otherwise stated, each Competition is open to all GB residents of 18 years and over"

Does the magazine say any different?
    RoryW wrote: »
    Digital Camera
    Autumn 2008
    Page 35

Prize - Lowepro Primus AW Backpack worth £179
    (Its not the prize, its the taking part that counts...)

Submission Date - 24 Oct 08

go to www.dcmag.co.uk and click on "mission this month" link

Calina - if it interests you, you have some kitesurfing ones that could do well at this competition

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭MistressPandora

It's funny, I'm all up for competitions and stuff until it actually comes to submitting a photo. I look at the other stuff and say "I can't compete with that!" and then wuss out at the last moment!
    Just curious, anyone else get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭dakar

Yup, still haven't even gotten around to the Photo Challenge on here!

I have made myself promise to get something
    into the next one though:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

It's funny, I'm all up for competitions and stuff until it actually comes to submitting a photo. I look at the other stuff and say "I can't compete with that!" and then wuss out at the last moment!

Yep. I've gotten to the stage though where I stick things in for the laugh, or to go through the selection process to try to grade my own work. Its always interesting to hear what others pick up from your stuff too. And I won 250 quid out of the blue from Guinness there last week :D It's *always* worth entering IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I entered the Nikon one for the laugh. I think i entered that one happily as it just seems so big that nothing can come of it so it's almost safe! lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Calina wrote: »
    The quality of entrants in this is amazing.

The 2008 winner:

wpa08-winner-rhs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

xshayx wrote: »
    Was going to enter, but "Unless otherwise stated, each Competition is open to all GB residents of 18 years and over"

Does the magazine say any different?

says see website for full T&C so looks like its a non runner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

What a rip-off that 2008 winner! "Find your own style" I would like to scream :confused:

ThOnda wrote: »
    What a rip-off that 2008 winner! "Find your own style" I would like to scream :confused:

I agree. Can anyone else say "Diane Arbus"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Yes, yes i can. I can even link to the relevant picture.

DianeArbusAperture.jpg

Note : It should be noted the only reason i know the name and the photo is because you told me to read up about her and examine her work months ago.

So this is me proving that i did my homework!! :o

Lol brilliant, I have better teaching skills than I thought!
    :D

Kudos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

That maybe a bit harsh though. There certainly are similarities, but sometimes that can be accidental. It's like music, there is so much out there, there is bound to be similar stuff floating around.

I had my first camera about two months and was told one shot was a copy of Steve McCurry. I had never heard of the man at that stage.

It's in this thread btw.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055388863&page=2

Also, the winner is a fine photo in it's own right. Just because Diane Arbus has taken a fine shot of two girls, surely doesn't make the same subject out of bounds for all such photos?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I would be surprised if that shot was not inspired by thoe one by Diane Arbus but it is not a quite a copy.

The same as good Mono Landscapes are often compared to those by Ansell Adams. I think that most who do good landscapes would have studied his work & the influences would pass on.

Covey wrote: »
    That maybe a bit harsh though. There certainly are similarities, but sometimes that can be accidental. It's like music, there is so much out there, there are bound to be similar stuff floating around.

Also, the winner is a fine photo in it's own right. Just becaus Diane Arbus has taken a fine shot of two girls, surely doesn't make the same subject out of bounds for all such photos?

I wasn't saying that it wasn't a fine photo, nor was I saying it was nobody else should do it, I'm just saying that it's extremely similar to Diane Arbus' works.
    She is/was fairly famous in the photography world for her photos of twins. Stanley Kubrick even had a tribute to her. Who could forget the creepy girls in "The Shining"?
    But anyway, back to my original point. It's not necessarily a bad thing to be compared to some of the greatest photographers, I just find odd that a competition called "Find your own style" would choose a winner whose work is extremely similar to a fairly famous photographer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

yes big time!!!

Advertisement