Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cdj 800's

• 30-09-2008 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

right so, new into the whole dj scene here, so sorry for the ignorence, but im looking at getting two cdj 800s' but havnt a clue where to get them! also, looking for a good mixer too! as far as the mixer goes, im not sure what type at all to get!

also, around how much am i going to be set back for all this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

right so, new into the whole dj scene here, so sorry for the ignorence, but im looking at getting two cdj 800s' but havnt a clue where to get them! also, looking for a good mixer too! as far as the mixer goes, im not sure what type at all to get!

also, around how much am i going to be set back for all this?

well definitely have a look at this website, I've purchased a BCD3000 from them and found them to be very efficient and well priced.

Thomann.de

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

or aquarius sounds if you want to buy in ireland
    Niall gave me a very good deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭uprooted shane

cool, thanks for that! appreciated!

sorry for bringing this up again, but ive decided to go for the cdj 400's wit the djm400 also,

now not looking for much info, just need to know what cables ill have to get with them.

also, speaker wise i need to get 2 and depending on them, an amp. just for bedroom stuff....

any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Do you have the cdj's etc yet? Really depends. As regards cables, its phono's for the cdj's and mixer. Then the Amp and Speakers are slightly different, depending on what you go for. You could get a set of speakers with the amp build into them. Bit cheaper and a smaller form factor.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Do you have the cdj's etc yet? Really depends. As regards cables, its phono's for the cdj's and mixer. Then the Amp and Speakers are slightly different, depending on what you go for. You could get a set of speakers with the amp build into them. Bit cheaper and a smaller form factor.
    yea the powered speeakers had my eye now to be honest! any idea on what would be a cheep ish, brand?

na i dont have the cd players yet! but prob will be getting them from thomman.de

Well, I would say do not skimp on the speakers. You want a realistic and full sound. I'm a self confessed AudioPhile and a cardinal sin would be Pionner gear with sub par speakers. You need the whole chain, from CD to Mixer to Speakers to be top notch if you want a great sounding system. Headphones is another consideration when buying the gear be sure to get a decent set. Pioneer or Seinnheiser. I got a set of HDJ-1000's recently, can't recommend them enough.

I couldn't recommend a brand, it depends on your price range. Decks.co.uk is worth a look if you want a complete package. Although Thomann.de are very hard to beat.

cool cool! thanks for the advice!

happy new year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

okay so if your not an audiophile like iron claw you can use any stereo you have in your house that has an aux function as your speaker setup.
    no need for an AMP.
    probably your best bet to begin with.then if you get a bit more serious you can upgrade.but yeah a regular stereo will suffice for now imo

Fair point. Its down to how much you can afford now. Just remember if you buy something for "now" you need to consider the cost to upgrade in the future. Spend alot now might save you in the future.

Personal choice and preference! :pac:

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Fair point. Its down to how much you can afford now. Just remember if you buy something for "now" you need to consider the cost to upgrade in the future. Spend alot now might save you in the future.

Personal choice and preference! :pac:
    yep definitely.always factor in the upgrade so if he has a stereo lying around he could use it instead of buying an amp and **** speakers.

cool actaully i didnt know that now! deadly, yea cos money is a bit tight at the minute, as im sure it is with every one like!

still though, your right, it would just be a temp thing till i got the money for the proper set up

nice one:pac:

yeah for the first 6 years my setup was all going through a sony stereo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

you COULD buy a laptop and say, a torque xponent.

then a decent amp and speakers, nothin too flash for abedroom and voila, you got a semi pro setup!

then you dont have to worry about burning cds, all your mp3's are ready to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

sorry for bringing this up again, but ive decided to go for the cdj 400's wit the djm400 also,

now not looking for much info, just need to know what cables ill have to get with them.

also, speaker wise i need to get 2 and depending on them, an amp. just for bedroom stuff....

any advice?

I bought my stuff from Thomann.de there in September, set me back a pretty penny but worth everything I spent

The CDJ-400's are fuggin awesome, I love the fact that they've got MIDI so I can jack them into the laptop and then I can use them with regular CD's too. They were €550 each from Thomann.de (now €518)

I opted for an Ecler Nuo 2.0 mixer instead of the DJM400. The DJM400 doesn't have a booth (or record) output, which means if you mess with the output volume (e.g. you've got to lower it down because somebody is going to bed or whatever) then if you're recording it to your PC the volume will be affected. With me being a learner I want to play back my sets to track my progress, so this was important. I do miss the little effects (esp delay & echo) that come with the DJM-400 though, and the fact the ecler is very long which means getting a case for the CDJ-400's and the Nuo 2.0 is near impossible :D

I also got a set of Xone XD-53 headphones, best headphones I've ever had, and that's including the HDJ's from Pioneer :D

Aquarius Sound in Celbridge, you can walk in and ask the guys to test out the kit, they don't have the Nuo 2.0 because apparently they didn't sell - €550 is what they wanted from me for one, but it was only €389 at the time (now 333)

As for your cables, you'll need two cables to hook up each deck to the mixer, those are standard RCA cables (Red + White phono's on both ends). Try to keep them short since you'll normally put the mixer between the two decks, there's no need to have 5m cables from deck to mixer unless you're decks are 5m away from the mixer, that'll degrade audio quality and is a stupid idea anyways :D

qk8077.jpg

Now that you've got that sorted, time to figure out how you're gonna hook up the output from your mixer to your sound system. I have a 2xRCA to 1x3.5mm jack cable (2xRCA to headphone plug) that I use to pump sound into the Line-In on my PC. I use this to record my attempts/sets :D Because I've got the Nuo 2.0 which has a record output and a Master output, I run the output from the Master (which is all you have) to my logitech sound system using the same type of cable (2xRCA to 1x3.5mm jack). It all depends on what you have available.

Typically if you've got a pair of passive speakers for your computer (the type that have no volume control and rely on Windows to control the volume) then these speakers do not have an amplifier in them. As a result, even if they did have a place for you to plug in your output from the mixer (Usually called an AUX in) then you'll be hard pushed to hear anything unless you crank up the gain on the Master output - mixer output should be kept as low as possible to keep noise to a minimum, rely on other amplifiers :D To explain better, if you went to the ministry of sound, took the master output from the mixer, and wired up your headphones to that output, it'd be incredibly low. That low signal goes into this incredible amplifier (not the mixer's amp) and gets piped around the room.

My logitech speakers have an amp, so I use the logitech control unit to control volume. I wouldn't go spending a fortune on an amp or uber speakers if you're only starting out - I didn't know if I'd be any good (still dont) so why spend more money until I'm sure? I'm not an audiophile either, so while the Ecler Nuo 2.0 allegedly obliterates the DJM-400 in terms of sound quality (especially when killing frequencies) I can't tell the difference myself and only got the Nuo 2.0 because it had the record+booth outputs in addition to the master.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Iv got a set of CDJ-400's and a DJM-400 mixer, it really is a sweet setup :)
    Absolutly love the mixer, like one of the lads said about not having a monitor out, thats the only fault i have had with them.
    I got mine from decks.co.uk for 1149pound + 40 shipping, cost 1410euro overall and im sure its cheaper now considering the way pound is gone, the decks came with headphones too, they were fairly good but i upgraded to sennheiser HD25's.
    hope ya have fun with them. :D

sound for the replies lads! heros

:)

Advertisement