Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MK4 Golf Problems

Options
  • 30-09-2008 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Well,

Bought another mk4 recently with a few bits needing to be done to it. One of the main problems and the moment is the engine:pac:
    Before a full service, the car was revving slowly, and stopping at 4000-ish, maybe 5000. After the service it now revs freely up to 4000 odd and just won't go any further. It's like there is something restricting the car from revving any higher. Replaced the fuel filter (as a cheap guess) and no joy.

I know i'm being a bit vague but i'm hoping someone will have experienced it before and knows what i'm talking about. Brought it to an ex-VW mechanic and he said it was an air intake manifold. (or inlet can't remember)

Would anyone be able to shed any light?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

An air mass meter can give those symptoms,its located on the intake.If you can get someone with a scope or scanner you could diagnose it fairly quickly if its not working.I take it,its not a GTI?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sounds very like a MAF problem. I think VW use Bosch MAFS like the one on my alfa 156. They're a weak point. Simple test... unplug it and see how it drives then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

@Son : no it's a 1.4 and thanks

@gpf101 : A MAF?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

MAF is the device that measures the airflow into the engine - essential for pulling the timing and fuel injection data from the map. It's close to the air filter and about the size of a can of coke with a plug attached.

Try Franklin Motors in Cahernorry in Ballysimon - they are good with VWs.

crosstownk wrote: »
    MAF is the device that measures the airflow into the engine - essential for pulling the timing and fuel injection data from the map. It's close to the air filter and about the size of a can of coke with a plug attached.

Try Franklin Motors in Cahernorry in Ballysimon - they are good with VWs.

There's a lad about 100 yards up the road from him that was an ex Vw mechanic and told me it was something to do with the air intake manifold. Sounds like it's something to do with air alright lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

He probably meant the maf (air mass meter) as said above they are a weak point on most german scrap :D

Jealousy is an awful, awful thing:pac::p

The thing is - a fault with the MAF will not (usually) show in the fault memory - it requires dynamic testing to verify it. But, yes, the MAF is a weak point with a lot of German manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Hmm....I'm not too sure its the MAF tbh. It is a very common problem alright and does manifest itself with lumpy power delivery and rough idle etc but if the car is running well apart from not revving high enough I doubt its the MAF. But like was suggested earlier, disconnect it and try it then. Be careful with it though its a sensitive little bugger so dont get it dirty!

Its really hard to diagnose a subtle engine problem, especially only on a forum. But another possibility would be the lambda sensor....

Can't find it in the haynes, an idea on where or what it looks like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Can't find it in the haynes, an idea on where or what it looks like?

See you shoud have bought that GTI off me when you had the chance :p

Hope you get it sorted soon

Onkle wrote: »
    See you shoud have bought that GTI off me when you had the chance :p

Hope you get it sorted soon

Bloody thing, it's newer than my own, i just couldn't leave it there when i saw it. Now the cost of things is going up and up lol... This to be sorted and timing bel still to be done, oh the fun of it all haha!

crosstownk wrote: »
    It's close to the air filter and about the size of a can of coke with a plug attached.

Item 4 in the illustration below. Note that the illustration is from a 1.9TDI but you'll get the idea. The MAF is practically identical to look at.

129250lu5.png

Thanks for that but doesn't seem to look like my own at all at all,hard to follow

On the pipe from your air filter housing to the intake manifold you will see a part that looks like no. 4 above - that'll be your MAF.

Thanks, as you can tell, i get pretty sh1tty once it comes to mechanics.

Sound for the help lads.

Got the timing belt done and it's now perfect. The belt had come loose, something had broken and it slipped two teeth. Lucky because we were revving the ****e out of it for 2 weeks. Sound lads.

Advertisement