Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy not behaving (not my pup)

Options
  • 30-09-2008 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I was looking after a jack russell pup about 4 months, she behaved with me (although she did go to the toilet a bit but I'm putting that down to living on the second floor of an apartment, she couldn't get out). While she was with me she got plenty of walks and ran around playing with some small kids. She chewed on some things but I only let her chew on the things I wanted her to chew on.
    When she went back to the owners she got snappy and didn't behave. I was over in their house yesterday the owners feed her from the plates and don't get to bring her on as much walks as I did. The family has two young teens that as far as I could see just wanted to cuddle her. When she went back she bit some of them, she never did that with me because I wouldn't allow her to. When I was over in the owners house I was playing tug a war with her, she started to growl, I didn't see it as a problem but the owner did.

I'm just wondering why the pup was good with me and not with the owner.
    I've come up with afew things but I don't know what it could be
    1. She's not getting enough excersise
    2. She got too much attention with me
    3. going from loads of attention and excerise to less
    4.She is behaveing the same but we just see it differently

Thanks.

Before I forget someone else had her for a short while and she was fine with him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

5: She knew her place. :)

It sounds like she knew her place in your pack but doesnt in theirs.

She probably isnt getting enough exercise either. They're a very active breed, even though they're small.

I would doubt that she got "too much" attention with you, I dont think dogs can get too much attention once its the right kind. - you seem to have interacted with her plenty and she got to know the rules and wouldnt step outside them, whereas with the owners she is probably confused as to where she is ranking, as well she can act up if not getting the right sort of attention (walks, training, play, taught the rules etc)

Teeth on skin is an absolute no-no - even if they are teething. Biting is far beyond that. They need to do something right now to stop it. And that means proper exercise, diet, showing her the rules/interaction on their terms, training etc.

Feeding from plates will not give her the nutrition she needs and will affect her behaviour. Feeding from plates also gives her an air of importance, as she will see herself as equal to them. Scraps from the table is not really a good idea but once in while will do no harm if the dog is on a proper diet and is fed away from the table once the family has finished. Human food is for humans and is lacking a whole load of things that a dog needs when its cooked and fit for human consumption. If they wish to feed her human food, they could always start her on BARF (Bones and raw food/Biologically approriate raw food).

In my opinion (and the above is also my opinion) they need to start properly with this dog and continue, instead of leaving her to mature thinking all the things she's doing are right. Otherwise, at some stage when the novelty wears off, she could end up as yet another "backgarden" dog, that only gets interaction when they're fed and are left alone for the rest of the time, probably developing more problem behaviour - which can then lead to people not interacting at all with them anymore. Or worse, her ending up abandoned or surrendered to a pound :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I thought that she wasn't getting enough excerise I just didn't know if that breed was an active breed.
    She gets fed dry food but they love to feed her off the plate.

I've had a dog before not from a pup and he was insane, good but insane. I knew to try be the alpha dog. Sadly I didn't have that dog as long as I would've liked.

I'll try to get someone on my side and tell them about the plate thing they already have a fair idea about the excerise, I'll have to tell them it's an active breed.

And don't worry this dog will never end up abandoned or surrendered to a pound, the kids love her too much and if all else fails I'd take her.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Its great that you're looking out for the dog and trying to help. Well done.

I hope they listen. :)

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. Bad behaviour and habits come from owners not training, laying down the rules etc so if they can see that, it will help them to step forward and aid them in having a happy, pleasant little family member. :)

Advertisement