Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Transport Case ... how the hell do I ...

Options
  • 30-09-2008 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

I removed the pedals, turned the handle bars ... do I remove the saddle too? How to I make it fit!? Help ... It's a small 44 sz frame and a DHB Elsted Bike Box ...

Thanks ...

A desperate cyclist who doesn't want to hurt her bike ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

just checked the wiggle site. it looks pretty similar to one i rented before.
    one wheel under frame, the other wheel on top.
    took the pedals and handlebars off too. 54cm fitted fine, 56cm was a bit of a squeeze to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I was told by Wiggle to remove the saddle/seatpost and handlebars entirely and reverse the stem. I may get my box tomorrow, if so expect am going to have great fun getting my 58cm bike into it if you are having such difficulty with a 44cm! They told me it "should" fit but it would be tight, the Elsted box is known for being small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I had a hell of a time fitting a 58cm road bike into one of those boxes too (under a different brand name). Both wheels off, seatpost out, handlebars removed, fork and stem reversed. Even then, the box is simply too small and could barely be closed. I wouldn't use it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭BaBiT

Take the wheels/pedals off, loosen the handlebars and turn them so they hook under the top tube and don't swing around, unhook the rear mech and cable tie it between the rear seat stays...probably best to lower the saddle rather than take the seat post out cos that means you won't get anything falling into the frame..then wheels in wheelbags and one either side of the frame...

There was a free dvd with Cycling Plus (I think) a few months back on preparing for the E'tape du Tour and it went through preping a bike for a bag...Think that was most of it..

Have a backup plan now thanks to Joe Daly's:

th_bike_box.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Would it not be safer to put the bike INSIDE the box? It could be easily damaged otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I have the bike in the box ready to go home tomorrow!! Thanks all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Morgan wrote: »
    Would it not be safer to put the bike INSIDE the box? It could be easily damaged otherwise.

I think the bike he's bringing is in the box, the other bike is how he's getting to the airport!

Ok, got the case but it is damaged around the wheels! I took photos and sent them off to Wiggle, think I am just going to have to take it as is at this stage (think it will hold up to one out and back?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

crikey that doesn't say much for it! If it ended up wrecked from being shipped empty I'd hate to see it after a few trips loaded!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Not good. But still probably better than a cardboard box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I removed the pedals, turned the handle bars ... do I remove the saddle too? How to I make it fit!? Help ... It's a small 44 sz frame and a DHB Elsted Bike Box ...

Thanks ...

A desperate cyclist who doesn't want to hurt her bike ...

with all that trouble, it sounds like it would be easier to just cycle to your destination!

Got mine in handy enough, the tips here and elsewhere were very useful though so I knew what I was doing. Removed bars, turned fork sideways, removed rear derailleur and zip-tied to the frame, removed saddle and seatpost.

The box is just ever slightly and annoyingly small though, literally 1 centimetre longer and it would have been a hell of a lot easier. I removed the derailleur hanger in the end which gave me that crucial extra cm!

A tip: I found it useful once the frame was in to turn the cranks so that they lodge under the wheel you already have in there- this gave just the little bit more room for the wheel on top. Before I did this the wheel on top was being pushed out when I tried to close it.

Hope it all gets there in one piece and that Ryanair don't decide to invent a weight restriction like Aer Lingus, the thing weighs a ton.

bike_box_01.jpgbike_box_02.jpgbike_box_04.jpgbike_box_05.jpgbike_box_06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Can I ask (as I've never flown with my bike) is there/how much does it usually cost to bring a bike box as luggage on a plane?

I can only imagine it's really only feasable for more expensive bikes than mine, such as Blorg's there, but seeing as I've to move abroad in 2 years I wouldn't mind doing research well in advance!

Cheers!

P.S. I'm aware it prolly varies alot based on which company you fly with..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I've never flown with a bike, but whenever I have taken mine to the continent (France) I've just got the ferry over. No dismantling or extra charges required, and the French trains are usually well equipped to take bikes if desired. Seems like a lot of hassle to fly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

Wez wrote: »
    Can I ask (as I've never flown with my bike) is there/how much does it usually cost to bring a bike box as luggage on a plane?

I can only imagine it's really only feasable for more expensive bikes than mine, such as Blorg's there, but seeing as I've to move abroad in 2 years I wouldn't mind doing research well in advance!

Cheers!

its usually about 40/50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Wez wrote: »

Cheers!

30 blips each way, with Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Raam wrote: »
    30 blips each way, with Aer Lingus.

My receipt says €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Trojan wrote: »
    My receipt says €40.

30 if you book before you get to the airport. Although it would appear you HAVE to book before you get to the Airport :)

# Bicycles must be pre-booked with the aerlingus.com helpdesk. A maximum of six pre-booked bicycles may be carried on each aircraft. Bicycles departing Amsterdam airport must be boxed or bagged. These can be purchased at the airport.
    # Sports equipment fees (per item each way) are listed below. These charges are based on a maximum permitted weight of 15 kilos. If the sports item weighs in excess of this 15 kilos, then an additional charge of €9/£6 or equivalent per kilo will apply to this additional weight.

Sports equipment fee (per item each way)
    Web Airport
    EUR 30.00 EUR 40.00
    GBP 20.00 GBP 32.00
    CZK 900 CZK 1200
    CHF 45 CHF 65
    PLN 112 PLN 160
    HUF 7500 HUF 10000
    LVL 22 LVL 32
    LTL 104 LTL 138
    DKK 226 DKK 280

€30 each way with Ryanair, no weight restriction (yet.) Reckon my box was well over 30kg, I had everything in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Are ye back now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Are ye back now?

Unfortunately, yes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I have just purchased a Polaris bike box, for various trips to the uk including the caledonia etape next May. First impressions is ii's extremely light and well made, seems a bit big but the proof is in the eating i suppose.

Advertisement