Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listening to radio while cycling?

Options
  • 30-09-2008 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Was wondering what peoples views are on this or if anyone does it?

My commute to/from work is mostly along a dual carriageway with a bus lane which I have to myself most of the time. Was think of getting a cheap headphone radio to listen to on the way at low volume. Is it dangerous or does it make a difference since you would still hear a car horn or ambulance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I do into college, same as yourself its all dual carriageway. Even at low speeds, wind noise can make you oblivious to surrounding traffic so I personally don't mind a bit of quiet music in the background to hum along to. Nothing can replace a quick glance over your shoulder now and again. I've been behind plenty of cyclists with no headphones visible who had the awareness of lemmings.

I wouldn't do it heading out for a spin up the mountains mind, and the last stretch of my road is fairly quiet and dangerous so i pop them out.

It's really up to yourself anyway, you will get plenty of "yays" or "nays" with various reasons, all of which are probably valid. Basically, if you are the kind of cyclist who finds cars creep up on you without warning, it might be best to leave the headphones at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

used to, but wind noise is too high to hear properly unless the volume is up at a level I'm not comfortable cycling through traffic with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Personally I'd give it a miss. Situational awareness is your best defence on the road against being hit - and I wouldn't do anything to lessen it.

But having said that there's plenty of cyclists I pass everyday that have them in, I'd almost say half during the commuting hours. So they seem to get along with them grand.

72oo

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

I used to wear 'em commuting, but feel more aware without TBH. My commute's only 25mins or so - 11.5km, so it doesn't bother me doing without.

I don't mind other cyclists wearing them though, but it does p*** me off when someone is wearing headphones and totally oblivious to everything going on around them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Same as the others. Used to do it, but found it distracting going through town and Ray D'Arcy started really pissing me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 skim

listen to my mp3 player not a radio but find no problem with them i can here cars coming from behind.but seen as i live in the country i never have 2 worry bout that much traffic i would take it out of one ear on junctions 2 hear if a car is coming from the other junctions.most lads i ride with use them 2 if there trainin on there own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Verb wrote: »
    ....Ray D'Arcy started really pissing me off.
    I know this is OT but he's been getting on my nerves too.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I thought I'd like earphones while cycling so bought "Slipstreamz" earphones (Google search-can't remember who I got them from) they sit behind the ear attached to the helmet strap and apparently don't drown out external traffic noise. They cost around €15 all in. In the end I chickened out but I'll use the holders as ear warmers for the winter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I usually listen to one earphone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Listen to the mp3 going through town - I know I prob shouldn't but that's a different story...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I've been thinking about this since the thread started.

How important is your hearing when you are cycling?
    Surely if you cycling defensively, constantly look around and don't make any stupid moves that is sufficient?

I never find my hearing much use on the bike in terms of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I usually listen to one earphone
    Me too when I commute. If I am doing laps in the park I will listen to both earphones, and on a time trial, something really noisy with lots of guitars ...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

I'd be a definite nay....you need all your senses when cycling, way too dangerous IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭cmyk

tunney wrote: »

Surely if you cycling defensively, constantly look around and don't make any stupid moves that is sufficient?

Have to disagree on this one I'm afraid, I can def hear cars over my shoulder, maybe that's in a kind of sixth sense kind of way but you can hear change in engine pitch etc when cars are moving behind you/slowing down etc. I've tried listening to mp3 player and def did not feel safe, but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'd definitely say no to it. I find hearing is very important - such as you know whether it's a good time to look over your right shoulder to make sure that there's nothing sneaking up on you. Even with full hearing, sometimes a bus can creep up on you and be on top of you without you hearing it - damned quiet engines! This coupled with a slight waver off your straight line (as we all know can easily happen) could spell disaster.

My thoughts are that it's 100% up to yourself to keep yourself safe - nobody else will. IMO, eliminating or hindering one of your senses is not a good idea.

If it's boredom you're trying to stave off, try a different route every day. It will help the fitness too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭cmyk

If it's boredom you're trying to stave off...

Try singing out loud to yourself...that way people do their best to avoid you!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I do it myself, especially climbing up hills, generally in low traffic areas. Also on my commute which is cycle track 100% of the way. Would depend on the circumstances though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I used to do it all the time purely for motivation. Now I find that cycling itself is enough motivation. On a recent long distance solo cycle abroad I brought the mp3-player and had one ear in. I tried with both for a bit, but I didn't like not not being able to hear as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I have my mp3 player in for even the shortest of commute cycles. I never use it when I'm out training though, climbing/descending etc is ever so slightly more interesting than cycling in straight lines alongside cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

tunney wrote: »

Agree 100% with tunney.

I generally wear them on longer trips, and my choice of listening is seminars (spoken word) from Tony Robbins, Brian Tracy, Dan Kennedy (anything business related). I find the spoken word never interferes with my ability to hear cars. At the same time I have no problem with listening to music but I prefer it on shorter trips.

When I'm on short trips (in traffic in town), I find that I can listen to music no problem because there's no need for situational awareness - there is ALWAYS a car coming up behind, and there is always someone turning in etc. I'm not a "passive" cyclist in traffic.

I guess it depends on your own personal cycling style, but for those of you who think "it's not for me", please remember that it is for some of us, and we can still be very situationally aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I tend not to on my commute, because it's so short -but would have no problem listing to music when up in the wicklow mountains for example -I have it no louder than the wind noise generally is, and it's a great motivator!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ditto, agree with Tunney. Relying on hearing to know if something is behind you is dangerous. As said, buses can be very quiet as of course can cyclists. Much better to occasionally check behind than rely on hearing.

I might even go so far as to say that listening to audio reminds one to check over their shoulder more than someone who is not. Although frankly, an idiot cyclist is an idiot cyclist, listening to music or not.

Verb wrote: »
    Ditto, agree with Tunney. Relying on hearing to know if something is behind you is dangerous. As said, buses can be very quiet as of course can cyclists. Much better to occasionally check behind than rely on hearing.

I might even go so far as to say that listening to audio reminds one to check over their shoulder more than someone who is not. Although frankly, an idiot cyclist is an idiot cyclist, listening to music or not.

Much better to use hearing AND occasionally check behind :)

Had a similar experience to Raam- I do tend to listen to music if solo-ing up climbs I know well in Wicklow. Brought it with me to the Pyrenees but found I didn't want to use it at all climbing up the Cols there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Raam wrote: »
    Much better to use hearing AND occasionally check behind :)

That's pretty much why I didn't use the earphones in the end. Decided I was at more risk as a cyclist than as a motorist so if I'm gonna be hit I at least want to be in the right so I figured if I was hit while wearing earphones and even if I was in the right I wouldn't have a leg to stand on (no pun intended!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

With Brayblue on this, what happens if you're involved in an accident while wearing earphones? The other party might have a case that you weren't giving 100% attention.

vektarman wrote: »
    With Brayblue on this, what happens if you're involved in an accident while wearing earphones? The other party might have a case that you weren't giving 100% attention.
    What if the other party had their radio on and windows closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

blorg wrote: »
    What if the other party had their radio on and windows closed?

Yes, the earphone wearing cyclist might also have a good case.

vektarman wrote: »
    Yes, the cyclist might also have a good case.

What actually happened in this fictional incident? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

No chance , wouldn't dream of it ....too many idiots on the road , need every one of your senses to survive out there . I even have a small handle-bar mirror so I won't have to glance over my shoulder too often . Love listening to my walkman whilst walking the dogs but on the bike? ....too dangerous IMHO .

Advertisement