Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listening to radio while cycling?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It seems to be blown out of proportions in a lot of media reports. Its almost akin to drink-driving from what a quick google shows. headlines involving accidents such as "cyclist killed while wearing headphones", etc. I don't think it is fair to link cycling+headphones=death in a headline when the accident is still under investigation and there are still multiple other factors that could have contributed.

This one caught my eye though:

Are headphones dangerous?

I for one would not expect a helicopter to fall out of the sky in a quiet neighbourhood, but sure blame it on the headphones! The advice about being aware of your surrounding still applies regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

vektarman wrote: »
    Yes, the earphone wearing cyclist might also have a good case.
    My point is that radio on and windows closed is pretty much standard for the majority of motorists and no-one holds it against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

blorg wrote: »
    My point is that radio on and windows closed is pretty much standard for the majority of motorists and no-one holds it against them.
    That's a fair point.

Yes, but to wear those I would also have to be wearing a helmet.

On a side note, does anyone have a tin-opener so I can open up this can of worms?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

WOuldn't do it. You need all your senses. Don't forget that hybrid cars/SUVs will have no engine noise in suburban traffic.

You need all your senses

No way am I going to start licking cars on my commute!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

I think people use their hearing a lot more than they think, which would explain (to me anyway) why you see pedestrians regularly walk out on the road with out looking( behind them, ) because they dont hear a car... (and naturally dont hear my bike) Have seen this a lot more that I would like.. probably have done it myself..

More to the point.. tried listening to the radio on the bike, but found , could not hear it when buses and trucks passed me, if I did not have it really loud, which seemed to be most of the time, and the headphones were another thing to be fiddeling with, when I should be paying attention.. so just gave the whole thing a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

when i'm boming home from college i take the ipod out but when im just sauntering up killiney hill and through estates to get to college then the ipod goes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Headphones bad juju. I hate giving anyone(drivers) a legitimate reason to have a go and if you get a clip while wearing them its the first thing the driver will tell the gaurds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I wear just one ear piece, I searched everywhere to get a one ear piece that plays both sides of stereo through the one channel instead of only half of stereo. I hear the traffic just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If I'm training I listen to some good upbeat dance music, for commuting listening to the radio is nice.

Either way, I never cycle without my iPod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

cycling just isn't fun without the Ipod...so booring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I wear just one ear piece, I searched everywhere to get a one ear piece that plays both sides of stereo through the one channel instead of only half of stereo. I hear the traffic just fine.

Did you have any luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

'68 wrote:
    Headphones bad juju. I hate giving anyone(drivers) a legitimate reason to have a go and if you get a clip while wearing them its the first thing the driver will tell the gaurds.

You need stealth:

MBK226.tested.oakley2_prev-399-75.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

'68 wrote:

I totally agree with this. I used to use mp3 on commute player but I don't want to give drivers any reason to have a go. Still use it on solo training spins in the mountains.

Did you have any luck?

Try this. And they are cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

These are the ones I have. Never used the earphones as such but these keep the ears warm anyway!!

Try this. And they are cheap!

Nice one. must give these a go.

Nice one. must give these a go.

ffs... delivery on that site is $24.50 for those headphones! :eek:

• Advertisement

ffs... delivery on that site is $24.50 for those headphones! :eek:

I only paid a $9.65 for P & P!

Advertisement