Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uv tattoos..advice plz

Options
  • 30-09-2008 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi I am a 20yr old girl, I have been thinkin bout getting a tattoo seriously for last 2n half yrs, am currently tryin to design my own,
    a basic idea of my potential tat so far is: an abstract outline of a side profile od a dragon holdin a bubble, in the background at his head level some stars and i was hopin to get a half moon above his head in uv ink with a pixie sihouette on it (myt sound lik an absolutely crazy idea for a tat but these things all symbolise sumting to me)

wot is d general verdict regarding UV tattoos: ssafe? unsafe? is it possible to get 1 in Ireland etc, any feedback wud b gratefully recieved. also a suggestion for position of my tat wud b appreciated. I am tinkin it wil fit into a 6x4'' frame as such.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Hi I am a 20yr old girl, I have been thinkin bout getting a tattoo seriously for last 2n half yrs, am currently tryin to design my own,
    a basic idea of my potential tat so far is: an abstract outline of a side profile od a dragon holdin a bubble, in the background at his head level some stars and i was hopin to get a half moon above his head in uv ink with a pixie sihouette on it (myt sound lik an absolutely crazy idea for a tat but these things all symbolise sumting to me)

wot is d general verdict regarding UV tattoos: ssafe? unsafe? is it possible to get 1 in Ireland etc, any feedback wud b gratefully recieved. also a suggestion for position of my tat wud b appreciated. I am tinkin it wil fit into a 6x4'' frame as such.
    Thanks in advance
    Wow i thought the trend had died out, there were rumours of it being bad for you. toxic or cancer or something?? prob just rumors...never really researched uv ink tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

In the old days when certain stuff was used they were bad, now a days it's as safe as a regular tattoo, there is a guy on this forum who's name escapes me right now (really decent guy though) and he has some so if he see's the thread he will be able to provide you with a load of info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

farohar is the man to talk to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Reporting for duty sir!:D

Ok, safe vs. unsafe - they're pretty safe, your body shouldn't actually come in contact with the ink itself as it is trapped within microspheres of a polymer, PMMA, that is regularly used in medical implants anyway. As such unless something happens to rupture these spheres the actual ink will never come in contact with your cells. As with any other ink, if you're worried about it you can always get a small test spot done before hand and check to ensure there are no abnormal reaction.

As for getting one in Ireland I bought the ink myself on-line and then went around some of the studios until I found somewhere willing to work with the stuff, there was major negative rumour mongering about it 2 years ago. At this point though some of the studios may actually have some of the ink in stock already anyway, save you going to the effort of getting some yourself. Le Rack said she was getting one done in Inkwell Tattoo AFAIK and I got mine done in Wildcat Tattoo, though with my own ink supplies (ordered way too much the first time, :o lol). From what I've read lot of the rumour mongering was down to the old versions of "UV inks" which were little more than boiled down versions of actual paints and so weren't suitable for surface application to the skin, let alone subdermal.:eek:

Since you're getting a moon in UV ink you could go for any of the yellows or the white ink, depending on the image you have in your head regarding how you want it to look, only the white ink will potentially be invisible without the UV and that depends on your skin tone.

If you get the white ink its visibility under normal light will also depend on the location as the scar tissue will be better masked in some places on the body than others, e.g. the 2 on my sides are even less visible than the one on my upper arm. Even the one on my upper arm has never been noticed by anyone who didn't already know about it and I have a friend who regularly tries to read it but can't see some of the words in spite of knowing they are there.
    The visibility will also depend somewhat on the atmospheric conditions, cold and damp will make them more noticeable, e.g. after I've a shower they become much more visible, just like veins and arteries do, but as with the veins and arteries it's your skin, not the ink/blood vessels that's changed, and so quickly fades to back to normal visibility.

With the white ink and possibly the paler yellows it will have the appearance of taking longer to heal than other colours but this is simply because the ink is not hiding the damage that is still healing like it will with darker colours, even non-UV white ink behaves like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 buni-basher

ok amazing amount of info! :)and thank you sincerely!!! i tink that i still need to research what i can do with UV ink... and the idea of white ink tattoos... hav to admit i am fascinated! :cool:
    on a slightly sperate note I am in Germany for 9mnths n went to a tat parlour to ask bout UV n d tat artist that works there actually visits Dublin regularly cuz her Mum lives there... jus reminded wot a small world me live in(im in a relatively small town in the south west of Germany-didnt even expect to find a tat parlour ere!:rolleyes:

any more info you guys can giv me regarding tattoos in general wud be super!!:D need all d info i can take in!!
    thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement