Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Mortgage Interest rates Negotiable

Options
  • 30-09-2008 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

I have two questions.

1. My mortgage is due for renewal after a two year fixed term period. I have recieved a letter with my next options on it from my bank (permtsb). I had spoken to a mortgage advisor from AIB who would be able to give me a better rate than offered by my bank. The Question ---- Are banks negotiable on their interest rate and if so, how do I go about bargaining my way to a better rate.

2. Would my current bank nearly be happy to see my mortgage transferred elsewhere considering that my house has probably devalued over the past year.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

1. Yes (I've been in the same boat). Tell them you got an offer from AIB and either they match it or you're off. They matched in my case.

2. Unless you start defaulting on your mortgage your bank couldn't care less abt the value of your house. Unless you want to negotiate a better rate with a LTV mortgage.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Thanks for reply.

How did you go about negotiating the better price. Who did you speak to and what information did you have to prove you got a better rate from AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

We have three mortgages with the same branch so they gave us a very good deal, but this was at the height of "here you look ok, have a mortgage" times.

Advertisement