Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband

Options
  • 30-09-2008 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Anyone else have it around the Ballina area?! Last night and tonight have been a total waste of time, it's ****ing useless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Down in Westport, and yes, I completely agree.

Dunno about last night, but I have them problems all the time. stupid idiots they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Is there any good alternative to eircom in Mayo? They have been getting progressively worse over the summer - xbox live is a nightmare with them now.

Is there any good alternative to eircom in Mayo? They have been getting progressively worse over the summer - xbox live is a nightmare with them now.
    Noticed that myself.

You have a few options, but they're limited:
    Eircom (which you're using now)
    Mobile Broadband (Vodafone, o2 (My job), Three)
    Westnet (oscarBravo's baby) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

nevf wrote: »
    Noticed that myself.

You have a few options, but they're limited:
    Eircom (which you're using now)
    Mobile Broadband (Vodafone, o2 (My job), Three)
    Westnet (oscarBravo's baby) :)

:rolleyes: You mean Mobile Internet that sometimes gives broadband speeds and has very high latency :D

Perlico, BT, Vodafone and Digiweb all re-sell the Eircom packages, so Your troubles will stay. The latency on Eircom broadband is crazy at the moment, I've the upto 7.6Mbit package at home and its shíte. My ping to boards.ie is a cronic 45-90ms when it used be 15ms before their upgrades. I'm finding it impossible to game on it since, 120ms pings to UK servers.

They all depend on your area :)

If you're sitting under a 3g, fully updated mast, then you can expect brilliant mobile broadband. If you're in a Touch and Go area, then you can expect a certain level of bad quality.

o2, for example, will work even if it can't get signal on a 3g mast, but it will be terribly slow. On 3', if you can't get signal on a 3g mast, then you can't get signal at all. Latency on o2 is pretty good in comparison with eircom and the other few out there. On 3', it tends to be a little 'iffy.

We're obviously not making enough money for eircom and so they dont give a fúck, so i say fúck them. And the day I can get reasonable broadband anywhere else, I'll be on that boat.

• Advertisement

They all depend on your area :)

If you're sitting under a 3g, fully updated mast, then you can expect brilliant mobile broadband.

But then you have the brain tumor to worry about:(

It's ****ing atrocious tonight - the only consolation is pissing off the yanks

"Does anyone else notice this lag!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

www.westnet.ie.

it doesnt cover everywhere but its seems good.

check out the coverage map on their site. i think you can get a free survey to see if you can get it. i know its wireless but it seems fast.

512k up and down for €35 quid a month.no caps mentioned.

it the top rated on speedtest.net for mayo as well.

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?continent=3&country=49&region=1492

and no i dont work for them

I don't think you can play xbox live over wireless connections?!? Seems to be better coverage out in the sticks than in the town!

Wrong, unless Your calling Mobile internet "wireless" which its not. Fixed wireless as a technology has much less latency than Dsl. I've friends with very low pings with Westnet, sub 20ms to boards.ie (if that makes any sense to You), perfect for gaming.

http://westnet.ie/

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Wrong, unless Your calling Mobile internet "wireless" which its not. Fixed wireless as a technology has much less latency than Dsl. I've friends with very low pings with Westnet, sub 20ms to boards.ie (if that makes any sense to You), perfect for gaming.

http://westnet.ie/
    depends on the location and a whole load of other factors though. If you are in an ideal area, then westnet is best, but if you're not in an 'ideal' area, then the chances are that mobile broadband is better. It very much so depends on a lot of factors, including weather.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...the chances are that mobile broadband is better. It very much so depends on a lot of factors, including weather.
    o O?

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest here, but how often do you see 20ms pings on mobile connections?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    o O?

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest here, but how often do you see 20ms pings on mobile connections?
    my house is within view of a 3g mast, and i got a 26ms ping on my brothers vodafone e220 mobile broadband, i got a 31ms ping on an e220 o2 modem. it was longer at work, in the middle of town, somewhere around 40ms ping to boards using irishiptest(can't remember now). I'm not denying latency differences at all :)

Of course, if you have signal westnet wins the game hands down, but i have never really tested westnet (apart from once or twice). My house is out of reach of westnet, but is within the o2 catchment area. On the other hand, on the other side of the hill, one of my best friends is receiving signal over the hill from westnet, but is outside o2's catchment area.

i'm not entering a pissing contest either, but every single type of broadband (that I know about at least) has it's limit's, it's weaknesses, but also it's advantages. O2, (and i'm open to correction on this) has more flexible signal, and can host higher numbers of connections per mast, but Westnet's internet would be most capable of holding a high quality VoIP conversation because of less packet loss than o2, higher latency, and a permanent connection

~Nev :)

......O2, (and i'm open to correction on this) has more flexible signal

:rolleyes: In other words, it works sometimes, but not others :D

Shot ur self in the foot there m8 :p

:rolleyes: In other words, it works sometimes, but not others :D

Shot ur self in the foot there m8 :p
    I meant 'flexible' as in, the range of coverage rather than quality :)
    Btw, i've nothing against westnet at all - i think they're quite good ftr.

also, interesting to note: http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?continent=3&country=49&region=1492&city=31977 .
    westnet ranks pretty good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have Westnet myself now for 18 months and really can't complain, had to odd hitch as in it disappears for maybe 5 minutes or so, but I think if its done that 3 times in the last year thats the most.
    I was on my brother in laws laptop last nite, Eircon, and he has the same connection I have but Westnet would have been much faster, but he did say that Eircom can be up and down speed wise.

So if you can get Westnet then I definately would. Any sign of a 2MB residental speed yet OscarBravo out of interest? :)
    Keep up the good work btw.

I was gonna **** the router out the window friday - got home around half 5, tried to connect, wouldn't load any page - all green lights on the router. Tried the xbox, that worked fine - tried another laptop to check mine wasn't packing in, same problem. Getting a little pissed off at this stage, rang tech support (was gonna give them a ragging), number rang out twice on me but I was advised to log onto eircom.net to resolve any issues I have.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Broadband was back on without fail at 6pm:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

yop wrote: »
    Any sign of a 2MB residental speed yet OscarBravo out of interest? :)
    Keep up the good work btw.

+1
    Im with Westnet for two years now, very happy with the service. 2MB residental would be great.

Watch this space. Working on something at the moment - not going to promise 2Mb residential, but...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Go on OB, let it slip there ;) No one is listening lol

The walls have ears.

<_<

>_>

• Advertisement

Watch this space. Working on something at the moment - not going to promise 2Mb residential, but...

/waits in anticipation...

While you're waiting: we won't be passing on the VAT increase to residential customers - we're adjusting the ex-VAT price so that the inc-VAT price stays the same.

I know it's only a few cent a month, but like thon big retail chain keeps telling us: every little helps. ;)

The gesture is appreciated.
    Thank you.

While you're waiting: we won't be passing on the VAT increase to residential customers - we're adjusting the ex-VAT price so that the inc-VAT price stays the same.

I know it's only a few cent a month, but like thon big retail chain keeps telling us: every little helps. ;)

That VAT increase is a pain in the ****. Have to change prices, cash registers, etc. just to add 0.5% onto the price of something that you're paying for yourself. I feel your pain oB, I suppose it's more of an inconvenience rather than an ordeal though. Kudos for taking the expense yourselves. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 foxfordbuild

I have a 4mb dsl with Eircom in Foxford, have not had any complaints with speed, great for work (vpn) and gaming. Of course I am paying through the nose - €107.69 per month but need it for work, they give me € 45pm towards it so thats something. Still waiting on this upgrade to 10mb but don't see that happening anytime soon.

I have a 4mb dsl with Eircom in Foxford, have not had any complaints with speed, great for work (vpn) and gaming. Of course I am paying through the nose - €107.69 per month but need it for work, they give me € 45pm towards it so thats something. Still waiting on this upgrade to 10mb but don't see that happening anytime soon.
    The fact that you're in Mayo, using eircom broadband with something faster than 2mb broadband is one thing to be delighted about at least!

The fact that You stated You have the 4Mbit package from Eircom means that You are on a business package which uses ADSL2+ with low interleaving which doesn't suffer from the high latency problems that residential does. This is why they can offer upto 10Mbit on business packages. Business contention ratio is only 12:1 IIRC.
    The residential packages use ADSL and interleaving is set to very high causing serious problems. Move to residential and see if your still happy, I have it here and its terrible. Contention on upto 7.6Mbit residential is 24:1.

internodeadsl2distance2ib.jpg

My point is that you cannot compare a business package to a residential one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 foxfordbuild

I would not be happy with the residential package.

I got the business package because I know how bad the residential packages are. It was not my intention to compare it to residential packages.

I work for a company in Dublin and as I depend on it for vpn I cannot chance using anything less. It is not adsl2 though they have not upgraded the exchange yet for that.

I do consider myself lucky to have gotten the service I have considering how bad Eircom are, even in Dublin on Merrion Square where my work is we have had numerous problems with both the speed and quality of the connection.

It is not adsl2 though they have not upgraded the exchange yet for that.

How long is Your exchange enabled? All exchanges enabled in the last 12 months got ADSL2+ gear AFAIK

• Advertisement

How long is Your exchange enabled? All exchanges enabled in the last 12 months got ADSL2+ gear AFAIK
    Couple of years now. Shortly before WestNet rolled out in Foxford.

Coincidentally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement