Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I'm with BT Ireland and I find them pretty good in Castlebar give them a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Foxfordbuild: My gf lives in foxford and is fed up with her current provider. Eircom cool, ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 foxfordbuild

Yea cool for me anyway, but I know a lot has to do with the quality of the lines here, I would suggest starting on their 2mb package and see if thats ok, then upgrade if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SGTFUZZ

Im in monaghan and i dont think you can play xbox live with eircom broadband. do u know if I can? please reply and yeah eircom is ****

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dunne.Drift

SGTFUZZ wrote: »
    Im in monaghan and i dont think you can play xbox live with eircom broadband. do u know if I can? please reply and yeah eircom is ****

if your using wireless you need to put your firewall on the low setting...

visit : 192.168.1.254
    Go into : Firewall
    Select: Low
    Click : Save Changes

Then just turn your xbox on, set up your connection and away you go :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Can you download torrents with Westnet? Or even use P2P programs like Limewire etc. Someone told me you couldn't, which is really **** IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

jenno86 wrote: »
    Can you download torrents with Westnet? Or even use P2P programs like Limewire etc. Someone told me you couldn't, which is really **** IMO.

No, from the website, here
    Peer to peer file sharing is a common reason of excessive bandwidth usage, in order to combat this Westnet will block any traffic that it feels facilitate this form of protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

jenno86 wrote: »

rapidshare?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

irishgeo wrote: »
    rapidshare?
    We've only had a problem with Rapidshare once, with a single user who was completely taking the piss, downloading the equivalent of most DSL users' monthly cap in a few days, and doing so continuously over several weeks.

As for torrents etc: even with the limitations we have in place, we get a constant stream of copyright infringement notices from rights owners. Anyone who has ever needed to download something legitimate by torrent, we've been able to locate a direct download link for them. And I'm not going to apologise for inconveniencing people who want to illegally download copyrighted material in order to provide a better quality of service to the rest of our customers.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

yop wrote: »
    So if you can get Westnet then I definately would. Any sign of a 2MB residental speed yet OscarBravo out of interest? :)
    The website is still in the process of being updated, but I can let you know that we've made some changes in our product lineup:
    • The entry-level Residential product isn't bursty anymore, and offers 1Mb download and 512kb upload - the price remains the same.
    • The newly-introduced Residential Plus product offers 2Mb download and 1Mb upload, for just €10 extra per month.
    • Customers on the old SO/HO product will be moved to Business, with 3Mb download and 1Mb upload.
    • Customers on the old Business product will be moved to the new Business Plus, with 3Mb download and 3Mb upload.
    Prices have been substantially reduced on the Business products. We'll keep the Residential prices under review, but we don't expect to reduce them in the immediate future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Anyone else have it around the Ballina area?! Last night and tonight have been a total waste of time, it's ****ing useless.

YES!!!, Eircom broadband user here in Ballina with same issue!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The website is still in the process of being updated, but I can let you know that we've made some changes in our product lineup:
    • The entry-level Residential product isn't bursty anymore, and offers 1Mb download and 512kb upload - the price remains the same.
    • The newly-introduced Residential Plus product offers 2Mb download and 1Mb upload, for just €10 extra per month.
    • Customers on the old SO/HO product will be moved to Business, with 3Mb download and 1Mb upload.
    • Customers on the old Business product will be moved to the new Business Plus, with 3Mb download and 3Mb upload.
    Prices have been substantially reduced on the Business products. We'll keep the Residential prices under review, but we don't expect to reduce them in the immediate future.

Thats great Paul, fair play to ye.

I can't complain with our Westnet connection in fairness, had a mate over who has a 4mb Eircom connection and he said ours was a lot faster. Doesnt suprise me really.

Keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

YES!!!, Eircom broadband user here in Ballina with same issue!

It's been at it again since sunday - had it with them. I'm currently moving house and am hoping to have westnet in my new address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I'm with Westnet for two and half years, very happy with the service. They really go the extra mile to help you with your internet woes and I have had a few thanks to my trees. I'm surrounded on all sides so clear point of view was almost impossible, resulting in occasional dropouts. They recently moved me from wifi to wimax and I couldn't be happier.

I've just asked OB to move me to 2MB residental plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

banquo wrote: »
    Foxfordbuild: My gf lives in foxford and is fed up with her current provider. Eircom cool, ya?
    I'm near there.

Awful poor connection at the moment (last week or so) on Eircom's side. Very annoying considering we're paying for 'high speed connection broadband' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had some issues with Eircom but since changing to OpenDNS on the router it fixed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Eircom's DNS Server's are fooked since the beginning of last week, which means on your router all your lights are green but browsing is ridiculously slow!

Anyone else having a problem with Eircom just follow this guide:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61007899&postcount=64

Et voila!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

donmeister wrote: »
    Eircom's DNS Server's are fooked since the beginning of last week, which means on your router all your lights are green but browsing is ridiculously slow!

Have they fixed this problem because I don't seem to have this problem now?In fairness I've never had any major problems with eircom except that it took about a month for the router to arrive in the first place and that it's a couple mb's slower than it says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

I thought me speed was ok, But I changed the settings as per
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...9&postcount=64 and its a lot lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

HI, am interested in getting wireless connection in Castlebar, wondering what is the cap limit on downloads? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I am Westnet customer and as OscarBravo will tell you there isn't a cap on westnet services just a fair usage policy.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

As Galen said, no explicit limits - the acceptable usage policy can be paraphrased as "don't take the complete mickey all the time".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement