Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor Insulation Space

Options
  • 30-09-2008 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I am building an extension and have 50mm of space left on top of my raft foundation to get to my floor level.
    What insulation should I use, I was thinking 30mm kingspan with a 20mm screed or should I just sacrifice another 50mm of roof height and go for 60mm insulation with a 40mm screed.
    Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I assume this is a single storey extension. 11 rows of blocks will give you 2475mm plus wallplate. It should be possible to have a ceiling height of at least 2400mm!

Are you going to have a flat roof or a pitched roof?
    Why can't you raise the wallplate level by a brick height of 75mm?

If its a pitched roof you might be able to raise the ceiling joist to create a "Collar" roof - depending on span.

Its a hard question to answer without knowing the full facts. Can you supply more details or answer the questions above?

In general I'd say the thicker the screed the less likely it is to crack. Given the choice above, I would suggest 60mm and 40mm screed (75mm screed would be alot better)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

use a 75mm soap bar to screed off, giving you 125mm to play with, and increase your spec to 60mm insulation and 65 screed.

Advertisement