Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband Throttle Rubbish

Options
  • 30-09-2008 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Just had a big row with tech support. Apparently I am being throttled because I used 142gb in 3 weeks. Totally incorrect. Techie told me it was tough and I would be speeded up again in a month, nice!

Well I only just joined 3 weeks ago, so I am off, any advice where to go?

Wicklow here.

Beware these knobs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Check T&C that you have signed because I won't be surprised that you can't leave before 1 year

Zeppi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CameraStuff

6 month contract, I don't give a toss if I have to pay 6 months to them... if it means that others will be put off going with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

6 months is usually the minimum BT contract except for Total Talk + BB (I think). Are you on "unlimited" cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

are you sure someone else wasn't using your connection. do you have wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CameraStuff

Hi, I am on the unlimited package and my wireless is secure.

By my reckoning I have used about 34gb not 100 and odd gig.

I left Irish Broadband which was expensive (150 for 6mb per month) but never once got throttled. 2 Weeks with these clowns and bang.

I will be going right back to Irish Broadband I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have no time for BT and their shenanigans any more, I'd also warn anyone who's considering their service away from them. Since you're on the unlimited package, they shouldn't be throttling you at all. But of course they'll go on about "Fair use", but 140G is not that much, and without defining what the fair use limit is, it's hard to justify throttling.

You should view this as a breech of the contract, by BT, therefore nullifying it. Write a letter to them, sent by registered post, giving your 14 days notice. Pay up what you owe for the 14 days and cancel your direct debit. If and when BT don't actually cancel your account (you're nearly guaranteed they won't), they'll soon rectify that when you don't pay. Then, when they send the debt collectors after you, again pretty much a guarantee, just ignore them.

Keep copies of all your correspondence, and also make sure to get a copy of the signature for the cancellation letter you send. You'll get this on the An Post website after it's delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Just had a big row with tech support. Apparently I am being throttled because I used 142gb in 3 weeks. Totally incorrect. Techie told me it was tough and I would be speeded up again in a month, nice!

Well I only just joined 3 weeks ago, so I am off, any advice where to go?

Wicklow here.

Beware these knobs.

thought the stats were on a rolling 30 days ...

just checked them now & the usage looks to have been reset ???
    screenies below

CameraStuff - might be worth checking your stats page again now that we're into a new month??

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

142gb in two weeks does sound like a lot. Is that what it says on your usage checker? there's links to it here somewhere - worth checking. I don't think being throttled constitutes a breach of contract though... if they cut you off, it probably would, but people who are throttled are still connected - correct me if I'm wrong. Definitely should define what "fair usage" is too.

Think we'll find that a lot of other operators will start introducing throttling... bandwidth costs money, the more they need, the less profit they make and with the advent of youtube (well, any streaming content), the normal joe soap usage has probably gone up three or four fold - not to mention all those linux ISOs being downloaded :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

My stats show a last login back in March... never seems to be anywhere close to being up-to-date.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I've just moved to them Because they 'bottle' network speeds for breaching dl allowances.

I was with Perlico and got a €35 extra charge one month for downloading 13GB (limit was 10Gb)

Beware - they charge for going over your limits with no warning!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I'm on Smart and we don't even have a download monitor, throttle what does that mean? LOL

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

By my reckoning I have used about 34gb not 100 and odd gig.

34 GB..Can I ask..What are you downloading ?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 miziek

I just registered to say that damn BT ireland sux like hell ... ive just got throttled because i downloaded 18gigs in 9 days ... im on unlimited option ... i decided to leave BT right away, im sending letter to them tomorrow.

DAMN U BT DAMN U !!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

throttling is part of the FUP which is part of the T&C's of the package you signed upto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 miziek

heh the problem is i was throotled for no reason i was just sitting watching some websites when i realised webiste doesn not want to load ... no reason at all ... before that i could download 100gigs per 30 days which is 3.3gig per day ... 9x3.3= almost 30 ... so thank u BT icon8.gif im going straight to smart icon6.gif

PS FUP and hidden unlimited limits sux, they need sueing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stjindigo

Just got on to BT about speeds (little better than dial up for three weeks).
    They told me I had been throttled. No prior warning or anything. They would not tell me why but I know I have not exceeded the down load limit. I suspect its because of the sources of the downloads and all the Pirate bay stuff.

I told them politely (is there any other way?) in words of one syllable to go procreate by themselves. Then I thought this recording will be used fro training purposes. :D

So I'm off to Perlico for better or worse. In twelve months time I'll let you know how it was.

Advertisement