Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing a graphics card!!

Options
  • 30-09-2008 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

My last computer just died. It was a philips ls1600 msi motherboard 3.0ghz intel processor. With a ATI RADEON x550 PCI Express graphics card. Would be tempted to keep the ati card but it is a low profile card and my new case is full size.
    I have just ordered a new motherboard and processor
    ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 - CPU INTEL Pentium D 915 - 2GB DDR2
    The cpu apparently is 5.6 ghz.
    Just wanted some suggestions on a decent all round non bank breaking card.
    Also is there any way of making a low profile card fit?
    i also had an ir blaster/reciever fitted into my old case and could possibly do a botch job transplanting it but would rather get a 5.25 bay mounted solution does anyone know if this exists. I use my pc for recording tv via media center.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mckevittmartin

forgot to say im using vista ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

The Nvidia 9600 or 8800 can be had for just under €100, bith great cards for the price, or if you can stretch to around €140, I would recomend the Radeon 4850.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ubaroo

Max 150e get a Radeon 4850

Max 110e get a 9800GT

Max 75e get a 9500GT

Max 45e 9400GT

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have just ordered a new motherboard and processor
    ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 - CPU INTEL Pentium D 915 - 2GB DDR2
    The cpu apparently is 5.6 ghz.

Just curious as to what you got charged for the processor, ram and motherboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Oh dear, where did you get your 'new' processor and board? Both are ancient and old, but the Pentium D actually costs a lot of money because it's the only dual core option available for people with older 775 boards. It is not 5.6Ghz, each core is 2.8Ghz. In real terms performance, the Pentium D 915 has the performance of a 30 euro modern CPU.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Oh dear, where did you get your 'new' processor and board? Both are ancient and old, but the Pentium D actually costs a lot of money because it's the only dual core option available for people with older 775 boards. It is not 5.6Ghz, each core is 2.8Ghz. In real terms performance, the Pentium D 915 has the performance of a 30 euro modern CPU.....

I was going to break it to him with a bit more tact.

ah well. it only cost about 80 euro through a contact in n.i.
    if i was to find it was only the psu at fault would you recommend that i stuck with my original setup?
    Will my original processor fit the new motherboard as i need more pci connections anyway. The new board has 4 pci as opposed to 4 lowprofile in the old one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Assuming your old processor is a Pentium 4 3Ghz and importantly, it's also Socket 775, then yeah it'll work in that board, though the Pentium D is somewhat better as it's got two physical cores. you're not making sense about the PCI slots, there is standard PCI, the white slots, there's no such thing as low profile PCI slots, only low profile PCI cards.

It's possible your old CPU is a Socket 478 (socket 478 has pins on the cpu, 775 is pinless so it's easy to distinguish) with DDR ram which would mean the new board/cpu/ram combo is not inter-changeable with your old hardware.

You can also make the LP X550 fit by buying a full size backing plate on ebay or something (or could do what I used to do, just use the card without any backing plate at all!) but you might as well sell it for a tenner (you'll easily get that on adverts.ie) and just get something like this, as quiet as can be and perfect for any potential HD playback and HDMI connectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Shiny new graphics cards require a lot of power. Hence require a big PSU.

Open up your PC and check how many watts are written on your PSU, it should be on a sticker on the side, if its 300 watts or less then you will have trouble with fast modern graphics cards.

There is a good solution.

ATI brought out 2 cards, the 4650 and 4670, remember those numbers, because there are 4870's, 3850's, etc, etc so the numbers are important.

They should cost between 50 and 80 euro.

Most of these models (maybe all) are powered by the motherboard, which means you don't need to attach extra cables to them, which means you don't need a BIG PSU to run them.

The psu is a 650 watt so i dont have a problem there.
    Any thoughts on the ir problem? I have the old parts but they are all on pcb's and i would need to drill them and manufacture brackets for them, as i sair before i would like a 3.5/5.25 inch unit that would preform the same task ie.recieving ir and giving me a jack to plug in an ir blaster.
    thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement