Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow Light On My PS3. Joy.

Options
  • 30-09-2008 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

I just turned on my PS3 tonight to be greeted with the lovely "Yellow Light".
    I know what it means(I am totally annoyed), and the cost to get it fixed, and its unbelievable.
    I will just probably buy a new one, but before I do it, is there any way I can fix it myself(seeing now its worthless)?
    I've read that its something to do with the fan, and I gather I could pick one up on eBay.
    But does anyone know how to open it? I've been here 20mins looking for screws, and I cannot find any anywhere!

Also if anyone has any other info. on the matter, that could help me, please post it up. Its a joke after forking out 600euro that I'll probably have to spend another 400euro to get a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

pjjk wrote: »
    Also if anyone has any other info. on the matter, that could help me, please post it up.

Give this guy a call:

http://consolerepairsireland.ie/repair.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

What is this yellow light you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Niall0 wrote: »
    What is this yellow light you speak of?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:PlayStation_3_connectivity_infobox#Yellow_Light_of_Death
    It is essentially the same as the Xbox 360s red ring of death. The PS3 dies all of a sudden, and the red light flashes. Pressing the light turns it solid, so the PS3 is in standby. Attempting to turn it on yeilds a green light, and the sound of the fan starting up. The gren light then turns yellow, then the blinking red light returns and the console shuts off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

^^Lol, from the same link:
    kylee20051 wrote:
    The yellow light of death IS NOT REAL! Xbox 360 users made it up to counter he fact of the red rings of death. This is not real and there are no reliable sources indicating that this a real problem that the Playstation 3 has

And from the user page:
    Hey im Kyle. Im 14 and I've been using Wikipedia for awhile. I hate it when people Vandalise and abuse wikipedia. It really irriates me. I love to BMX and skate. I also love the Playstation 3 and debating how it is better then the Xbox 360. Kylee20051 (talk) 03:44, 28 February 2008 (UTC)

Edit: check out the user talk page as well..irony.. It would be so much funnier if he wasnt 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭pjjk

I opened the PS3 last night, all the yellow light is is the green and red on at the same time.
    What happens is the PS3 turns on(green light) after 1 second it beeps, the yellow light appears then the standby light blinks.
    lee_baby_simms, do you know how much this guy would charge, roughly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

gotta agree, cri are most excellent
    no i dont work for them nor know anyone that does, they provide a great service via mail, i have dealt with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

01 276-11-11 or 086-852-4670

Give him a ring and find out. Good luck with your problem.
    Hope mah baby never kicks the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭vgv

pjjk wrote: »
    I just turned on my PS3 tonight to be greeted with the lovely "Yellow Light".
    I know what it means(I am totally annoyed), and the cost to get it fixed, and its unbelievable.
    I will just probably buy a new one, but before I do it, is there any way I can fix it myself(seeing now its worthless)?
    I've read that its something to do with the fan, and I gather I could pick one up on eBay.
    But does anyone know how to open it? I've been here 20mins looking for screws, and I cannot find any anywhere!

Also if anyone has any other info. on the matter, that could help me, please post it up. Its a joke after forking out 600euro that I'll probably have to spend another 400euro to get a new one.

pjjk I was in the very same boat as you.Late August my 60GB PS3 just died in the middle of a game and from then on I got the yellow light every time I tried to turn it on.If you don't manage to fix it yourself,before you got to consolerepairs or go buying a new model I suggest you try emailing David Reeves(I believe hes the president or CEO of scee)at this address:
    Email removed - please do not post an email address wiithout the express permission of the address owner - thanks
    I got the idea of doing this after reading this thread:
    [HTML]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055301869[/HTML]
    I sent them an email and believe it or not Sony arranged to have my PS3 picked up, repaired,and sent back to me along with a game that was stuck inside all free of charge.I got the console back a few days after the pickup and the game back after 1 week.If there is a game stuck attach a note to the PS3 with some contact details.They never even asked me for a receipt which was just as well as I didn't actually have one and I didn't mention this in my email.It's definately worth a shot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

01 276-11-11 or 086-852-4670
    Haha! Those numbers are getting Arnie'd!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hey there ,I never heard of this yellow light, But i have a guide to fixing the red light problem on the xbox
    Here it is
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FJBFYOS1
    Heres some info on it:

This guide will show you how you can get rid of the Xbox 360 3 Red Lights and back to your games, and also show you how you can get rid of other common errors such as the 1 red light, 2 red lights and even the DVD drive problems when the machine will not play games!

All you need to do to fix the console is stop the heat that causes the Xbox 360 3 Red Lights and then you will be back in business!

There is a guide that has been showing people how to repair the Xbox 360 red lights for well over a year and a half and it comes with complete step by step videos so you will be up and running in no time.

Also the guide comes with a complete guarantee and as mentioned above will get rid of the other major problems no matter how many lights you have on the power button.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Pangea wrote: »
    Hey there ,I never heard of this yellow light, But i have a guide to fixing the red light problem on the xbox
    Here it is
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FJBFYOS1
    Heres some info on it:

This guide will show you how you can get rid of the Xbox 360 3 Red Lights and back to your games, and also show you how you can get rid of other common errors such as the 1 red light, 2 red lights and even the DVD drive problems when the machine will not play games!

All you need to do to fix the console is stop the heat that causes the Xbox 360 3 Red Lights and then you will be back in business!

There is a guide that has been showing people how to repair the Xbox 360 red lights for well over a year and a half and it comes with complete step by step videos so you will be up and running in no time.

Also the guide comes with a complete guarantee and as mentioned above will get rid of the other major problems no matter how many lights you have on the power button.

You do KNOW its a Playstation forum?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

whiterebel wrote: »
    You do KNOW its a Playstation forum?????

Yes i do , I posted the red light fix guide because it may help solve the yellow light problem , as they are similar problems :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

check out the user talk page as well..irony.. It would be so much funnier if he wasnt 14.

Ahh, that's me set for the rest of the day, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Anyone know roughly how long it would take for Consoles Repair Ireland to repair my PS3? I was thinking of heading up now

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sean-nirvana

my one's f.ucked too, i rang console repairs^ and them c.unts haven't a clue. they said if it's a hdd or overheating problem (which it is) they can't repair it. the only way to fix the bastard is to send it off to sony, it's like 160 quid for repair (i know, load of b.ollocks) and apparently it's done in 48 hours. i donno whether you lose any data from your hard drive. either way sony are p.ricks and their warranty is f.ucking disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

my one's f.ucked too, i rang console repairs^ and them c.unts haven't a clue. they said if it's a hdd or overheating problem (which it is) they can't repair it. the only way to fix the bastard is to send it off to sony, it's like 160 quid for repair (i know, load of b.ollocks) and apparently it's done in 48 hours. i donno whether you lose any data from your hard drive. either way sony are p.ricks and their warranty is f.ucking disgraceful

Xbox troll fanboy?

Xbox troll fanboy?

not at all man, i'm just kinda pissed about the whole situation. i don't have a label. i have a ps3 and it's broken that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Why don't you remove the hard-drive then?

'cause i don't have the steady hands or the technology to perform such an act

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Because its not the HDD or overheating thats the problem with the YLOD.

I'm surprised that **** have told you this, seriously puts their ability at risk IMO. I have a broken 80GB PS3 and have asked them to try and fix it, sounds like they don't have a clue.

Anyway, YLOD (yellow light of death) is due to lifting of the BGA from the motherboard on either the Cell or RSX chip.
    A reflow in a soldering oven will fix it definately (expensive) or you can attempt to fix yourself with thermal heatgun and heat up the Cell & RSX chips to get rid of the lifted, dry joint on the BGA-motherboard interface.

• Advertisement

yeah i heard about that way of fixin it dude, i have the .pdf guide. i just took one look at it and instantly i'd rather pay 160 quid. just too much effort and the risk i'll f.uck somethin up within the console

Loads of guides on what to do online.
    What shocks me is this consolerepair crowd can't fix something as straight forward as this.

yeah. well when i rang the bloke up, he didn't seem very professional like. he said if it was one of those problems they couldn't fix it and i don't think he'd heard of the "known" problem either. so...i think i'll have to send it off to sony when i get some cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

is there anyway i can prevent this or can anyone tell me how it happens?

well apparently prevention of this is good venting for the console, not leaving it on for too long and when you're finished playing it turn it off completely, not leaving it on standby

I don't do the last 2 at all and wouldn't recommend the last one at all.
    You are more likely to break any electronic device by constantly turning it on/off rather than leaving it on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

well apparently prevention of this is good venting for the console, not leaving it on for too long and when you're finished playing it turn it off completely, not leaving it on standby

Uh-oh! Mine hasn't been turned off in about 8 months :S

ongarite wrote: »
    I don't do the last 2 at all and wouldn't recommend the last one at all.
    You are more likely to break any electronic device by constantly turning it on/off rather than leaving it on all the time.

well, mine's f.ucked now and i always left it on standby. just goin by what happened to me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Have you tried taking out the hdd and putting in a different one (Im not talking bs this actually fixed a few consoles.

Is yours a 60GB? They are way more prone to YLOD but still not as bad as the good ol' 360 and its 40% failure rate so good work Sony imo.

Have you tried emailing anyone high up in sony to see what you can do?

• Advertisement

yeah i've tried all that email b.ollocks man. i have a 60gb and i don't have a spare hdd, which will be just short of what i have to pay for a repair with the risk that won't work so f.uck that...i'll just send it off to sony

Advertisement