Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow Light On My PS3. Joy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

How old is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sean-nirvana

bought it in march 07

bought it in march 07
    You might be out of luck so, under the law regarding electronics & warranties we've a mandatory 2 years entitlement to repair/replacement (up to 6 years on things like fridges). It depends on how long you, or the small claims court, would expect the product to last for.

Personally when buying a PS3 I'd expect it to last more than 2 years, my PS2 never failed and I had that much longer so it could be worth a try for e15.

no, no. i rang sony, and the warranty only lasts a f.ucking year..they said they'd repair it for 160 quid. so i'm just gonna send it off to them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Rb wrote: »
    You might be out of luck so, under the law regarding electronics & warranties we've a mandatory 2 years entitlement to repair/replacement (up to 6 years on things like fridges). It depends on how long you, or the small claims court, would expect the product to last for.

Thats incorrect. Ireland has never enacted this EU treaty in regard to mandatory 2 year warranty. The manufacturer 1 year warranty still stands.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    Thats incorrect. Ireland has never enacted this EU treaty in regard to mandatory 2 year warranty. The manufacturer 1 year warranty still stands.
    To quote CitizensInformation.ie
    Under the EU Directive on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees (1999/44/EC), which was passed into law in January 2003 (S.I. 11 of 2003) in Ireland, all consumers purchasing goods have a right to a minimum guarantee of two years on products. The seller is liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists when the goods are delivered to the consumer and which becomes apparent within the period of 2 years. The consumer is entitled to ask that the goods be repaired or replaced free of charge. These rights are known as your statutory rights.

More here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ongarite wrote: »

Apparently we never needed to, because our Sale of Goods Act gave better protection - Fit for the purpose intended for a "reasonable amount of time"

Edited to say, it seems we did sign up to the European Directive with SI 11/2003, which is strange because the Consumer watchdogs in this country always mention our Sale of Goods act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Dub973

I had a problem with mine aswell. Get the Sony helpline and they will collect it and repair it for free as you are covered. You get it back in 4 days. I've got it twice already

okay, i talked to sony they emailed me back with my instructions and i'm a bit lost. when it comes to the payment, it's like 160 quid that's grand. but how do i actually go about paying them. they said put it in the box (not original) with the ps3..they also said i would have to phone a courier to come out and collect the console, anybody who sent theirs to get repaired tell me how they went about it? thanks in advance.
    here's a link to the instructions they sent me

http://www.mediafire.com/?2jqd14nknwn

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rossism

last time i dealt with ony i was given a similar email only this was in relation to a psp. the courier service was excellent and completely free.

• Advertisement

yeah, but the payment? throw the cheque into the box with the ps3, seems a bit dodgey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blocman

Yeah that deffo sounds dodge. My PS3 got the yellow light today and im not sure what to do. Im thinking of going to Console Repairs Ireland in Bray in person. I mean its only a short trip to Bray. My warranty is looong up. I got my PS3 in the U.S not long after launch. Will this affect Sonys attitude towards helping me ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Probably. Email consolerepairs and get a quote off them. Ring Sony and get a quote off them also. Then weigh up your options.

make sure and tell console repairs its a yellow light job though. Im not sure what the story is with getting that repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭bongotime

Id watch your consoles with that guy from consoles repairs. hes a cowboy lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

hey sean, do you still have reciept or a copy of your credit or laser card payment. if you do, then i would ring the place where you got your ps3 and argue that you are due a replacement, refund or repair(for free). under the sale of good and supply of services act, the ps3 was not fit for the purpose intended.

if they are refusing to help, tell them that you will follow this up with the small claims court.

I still didn't get an e-mail back yet. In what way is he a cowboy? I'm hoping to get this problem solved ASAP so if I think for a second he's screwing me about i'm gonna look elsewhere. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with them? Advice would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Irishmaster

Got the yellow lights of death also! **** and i have not even backed up my files or anything. COD4 is still stuck in it also!:( Emailed console repairs also and they told me to contact Sean on that 01 276 1111. Bought my PS3 in Asia years ago so i can forget about the send it back to Sony option. Heard about swapping the HDD so tried that and it didnt work. Tried putting my hard drive in my friends ps3 and was asked to format it. Therefore if i bought a new ps3 id have to format my old hard drive and lose my files anyway! ****! Looks like im gonna throw my ps3 out my top window and hope for the best! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Irishmaster

Just went on youtube and found out this good guide on how to fix it but its fairly complicated to say the least! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU&feature=related

Different Set of vids!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo&feature=related

Yeah I called console repairs and the guy said its a componant failure.It could be a number of issues. Serious problem apparently D: It may not be repairable but if it is it's gonna gost between €40-€80 which i think is acceptable. I'm taking the PS3 up this weekend. Heres hoping its good news !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ford mustang

did they fix your console because mine just died today and i dont no if i should send it to sony or console repairs ireland

• Advertisement

Yeah I gave mine to Console Repairs and they said it's gonna take 3 weeks because the guy who fixes them is on holiday or some bs... Anyway they said that its a 50-50 chance that the console will work again and even if it isn't fixed I still have to pay the charges... I'm not very happy tbh... But they're my only option so whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Send it to sony, imo Console Repairs ireland would know very little more than your average joe with google and a bit of a time. A quick google search brings up a few "fixes" which sometimes work.

Best thing to do is try those fixes and if it doesn't work send it over to sony and you'll get one thats guaranteed to work and probably a new dualshock 3 if you have a sixaxis.

Thats what I would do if my PS3 wasn't way past warranty. I also bought it in the U.S so my chances of getting help from Sony are slim to null I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Stevo93

i sent it to a place called games exchange 2weeks ago and still waiting for it come back

With the same problem? What about warranty? Link? xD

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Stevo93

I had the yellow light problem..

i contacted HMV who told me they have nothing to do with it after 12 months and passed my onto sony who told me its out of warranty and pay them 160 euro to get a replacement with 3 months warranty..

i didnt agree to this and told both HMV and Sony about my consumer rights.Sony told me those rights- sale of goods and supply of services act- only applys to the retailer.

i bought my ps3 on launch day - 23 march 2007.

so after many calls and emails i finally starting looking to get it repaired elsewhere. My friend told me about a place in Talbot street called Games Exchange. i rang them up last friday brought my playstation in to them on saturday. I had to put a 25 euro deposit they also told me that it could cost either 60 euro or 120 euro depending on what is wrong with it.
    I should be able to collect it next monday.

Finally i have to say im dissappointed with both HMV and Sony with their polices and a staff member in HMV.
    They manager in HMV came to the point where he told me actually forget about the consumer law!! He also told disputed how much I actually paid.I told him i paid 630 euro when he told me they have never sold a ps3 for that price even though i had my receipt in my hand and was reading it out to him

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

I had the exact same YLOD problem.
    Rb wrote: »
    To quote CitizensInformation.ie
    is correct.

Stick to your guns and quote that legislation to them. It worked for me and I got the PS3 replaced even though the problem occurred 18 months after purchase. I had to deal with the original vendor and not Sony directly.

Lesson Learned: Keep your receipts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I still have my receipt in case mine gives up the ghost but fingers and toes crossed it won't come down to using that ancient piece of paper.

It's actually so old (about 2 years) that the ink is faded and it looks like an ancient scroll.

But thanks to my dad for telling me to keep it. Even though I sometimes have tears reading it and remembering all that monies I paid....even got charged for a plastic bag to take it home so I wouldn't be mugged coming out of the shop

But then I remember the good times I've had and still have with my black bread bin.

Happy times.

I just hope it doesn't eeeeever break....I live in a lot of hope ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Guys I was playing GTA4 and all of a sudden it turned off and a red light started flashing. When I press the power up button the light went from flashing red to solid red and when I pressed it again it turned on but died 10 seconds later.

I'm a bit concerned because when it powers itself off the light goes from green to yellow to red in literally 1 second.

I bought it in November in 07 so it should be covered by the EU 2 year warranty?

It plugged out at the moment as I heard it could be due to over-heating.

EDIT: I think it is indeed the YLOD. I turned it on again and managed to get GTA out but when it turns on and says Sony Computer Entertainment it freezes and does what I said above.

Will I be covered by the EU warranty and is that all me data gone as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Ok I rang Sony and they said it would be €168 for a replacement. I then mentioned to Gamestop the Eu law thing and he said you are entitled to replacement, repair or refund.

But its the person who offers this (Gamestop) has to choose whats the best course of action for the consumer and guess what they pick he €168 replacement.

Would he be right about that?

Advertisement