Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow Light On My PS3. Joy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭McGrath5

So I was playing COD4 last night and it froze for a few seconds and the console then switched itself off. I have tryed to turn it back on but all what I get is the yellow light for a few seconds and the console then turns itself off.
    I rang the console repair crowd out in bray and they said it will 40 to 85e to get it fixed. Has anybody used these guys at all?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Ok I rang Sony and they said it would be €168 for a replacement. I then mentioned to Gamestop the Eu law thing and he said you are entitled to replacement, repair or refund.

But its the person who offers this (Gamestop) has to choose whats the best course of action for the consumer and guess what they pick he €168 replacement.

Would he be right about that?

No, not with you paying for it they are not!!!! They can offer you whichever they think is appropriate, not which one you can pay for. So you can't demand a new one, they can offer to have it repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Ok I rang Sony and they said it would be €168 for a replacement. I then mentioned to Gamestop the Eu law thing and he said you are entitled to replacement, repair or refund.

But its the person who offers this (Gamestop) has to choose whats the best course of action for the consumer and guess what they pick he €168 replacement.

Would he be right about that?

They can offer repair, replacement or refund, at their discretion.
    However, you do not have to agree to their choice.
    • If you agree, end of story. You pay no money and they fulfil their part of the agreement. If Repair option is chosen it has to be permanent.
    • If you don't agree, you have to pursue legally unless you can get Sony to change their mind.

Edit * At no time can they charge you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 glanzamike

if the game gets stuck in your ps3 to get it out switch off the console at the back then keep your finger on the eject button and switch the power back on at the back keeping your finger on the eject button after a few seconds the game comes out and the fan runs for 30 seconds or so its also handy for cleaning the vents.for a ylod problem pm me for fixing service. hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 slappyjoe

pjjk wrote: »
    I just turned on my PS3 tonight to be greeted with the lovely "Yellow Light".
    I know what it means(I am totally annoyed), and the cost to get it fixed, and its unbelievable.
    I will just probably buy a new one, but before I do it, is there any way I can fix it myself(seeing now its worthless)?
    I've read that its something to do with the fan, and I gather I could pick one up on eBay.
    But does anyone know how to open it? I've been here 20mins looking for screws, and I cannot find any anywhere!

Also if anyone has any other info. on the matter, that could help me, please post it up. Its a joke after forking out 600euro that I'll probably have to spend another 400euro to get a new one.
    google ylod itsd not complicated to fix, get the screwdriver and glue online. gogle ylod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

slappyjoe wrote: »
    google ylod itsd not complicated to fix, get the screwdriver and glue online. gogle ylod

The ylod can be a multitude of different problems, none of which can be fixed with a screwdriver & some glue :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

EnterNow wrote: »
    The ylod can be a multitude of different problems, none of which can be fixed with a screwdriver & some glue :confused:

And not to mention the fact that I'm sure the OP has fixed it somehow/bought a new one in the two years since he started the thread :/

aaronh007 wrote: »
    And not to mention the fact that I'm sure the OP has fixed it somehow/bought a new one in the two years since he started the thread :/

Lol true, I didn't notice that. His replacement should be due to ylod by now actually :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 538 ✭✭✭little big planet 2

Firstly, you may need sympathy for having PS3. It is very unfortunate for whom those have PS3 because of trouble faced by them for its yellow light. After all, it is enjoyable to play the gaming session like Modern Warfare. If you once turned on your PS3 and hear few beeps before it shows you green light, it is good for your mood. But if the green light turned into yellow there is probably a problem with your PS3. It means you should fix the problem and then continue to play your exciting game on ps3. You may get the tips to fix such a problem from our article or from anywhere on the internet. You can search out the topic fix ps3 ylod or yellow light of death on the Internet.

Before searching on internet you should check the basic things in your system whether the cables are correctly fitted in to the sockets and are not loose. The beep sound you heard is not a serious problem but it may cause your PS3 to not work properly. Even if it will not turn into green light then think other measures.

Secondly, as per the terms of service, Sony also provide warranty on its ps3. Check whether your warranty is valid or not. If yes then go to the dealer and tell them about the problem you are facing with your PS3. However the report shows that PS3 reported only 0.2% of its console problem but due to such a turnover it will adds up to thousands of units having console problem. So if it is repaired then it will be good and if not then it will be replaced by the Sony as the warranty is still valid. PS3 yellow light of death problem can be fixed.

If warranty period given by company has expired, you have to solve the problem on your own.You have choice either to open it up and make sure that the hard drive attached in it is not loose. It may be also a reason which will show yellow light, after fixing the loose hard drive you can enjoy your playing with your PS3.

Click Here To Get The Proven PS3 Video Fix Guide

But if you open your console you will lose your claim of warranty. Be sure before opening it that if it is in your warranty period or not. If it is within the warranty then do not open yourself and go for the dealer of Sony for repair or replacement. If your warranty period already expired then you can take a chance for it to open the console.

To sum it up, the console can be repaired by you. But it is recommended only if your warranty has already expired or if you believe that you can fix the problem. Even in case if you are in hurry to play your game and also confident that you can solve the problem of yellow light of your PS3 then only repair it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 538 ✭✭✭little big planet 2

got that on internet hope it helps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

got that on internet hope it helps

Please put a link to your quotes in future. It isn't fair on the original author.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Not only that but it looks like it was written by a 5 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Do the newer 160gb or 320gb consoles suffer with this problem?

Or have Sony fixed the issue?

Kersh wrote: »
    Do the newer 160gb or 320gb consoles suffer with this problem?

Or have Sony fixed the issue?

It's somewhat lessened, but Slims can ylod too from to the same issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

My PS3 crashede last night whilst watching a dvd. I then said it needed to rebuild the file system for corrpted data etc. It's done this a few times now. Am I on the the way to a YLOD or is this a seperate problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

penev10 wrote: »
    My PS3 crashede last night whilst watching a dvd. I then said it needed to rebuild the file system for corrpted data etc. It's done this a few times now. Am I on the the way to a YLOD or is this a seperate problem?

Well it finally happened to my 60GB launch model :( on Christmas eve of all days, too late to write a letter to Santa as he had left at that stage so I had to go buy a new one, crisis diverted but still very sad,we had some good times , may post a pic of the original receipt for everyone to have a good laugh at , RIP.

Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Mine died today, I've had it quite a few years.It just suddenly shut off and wouldn't come back on with the faint glimpse of the YLOD.

Out of all my consoles, the PS3 is the only one I'm afraid to use incase I break it. It's a 60GB Launch model, strongly thinking of doing the fan & potentiometer mod. I'd rather have it noisy but cool, then a giant overheating countdown clock

Its a shame alright, most of my game saves were backed up so not too sad.

Whats the cooling mod all about or have i answered my own question?

Ed

eddhorse wrote: »
    Its a shame alright, most of my game saves were backed up so not too sad.

Whats the cooling mod all about or have i answered my own question?

Ed

You wire the internal fans to a potentiometer, an adjustable resistor which gives you control of them rather than letting the PS3 handle fan speed. Turning up the fan speeds will make it noisier, but will allow it run cooler.

You can see here this guy mounted a pot on the front for fan control, but I think mounting it at the rear would be best to keep the console looking stock

16291910100119913773663.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks good alright, they all seem to be dying off around this time, then again they get the most use over Xmas.

I might have a closer look at mine, didn't have time to spare on Xmas eve, had to get a new one or i was bored for two days.

After the persistent crashing / not booting problems I used the Safe Mode menu (see here) to force a rebuild of the database and since then, touch wood, I haven't had any issues.

penev10 wrote: »
    After the persistent crashing / not booting problems I used the Safe Mode menu (see here) to force a rebuild of the database and since then, touch wood, I haven't had any issues.

Thanks , might as well give it a try, thought they removed that option a while back...:D

Got the proper YLOD now :( the safe mode/rebuild database option bought me a week or so after the initial crashing but she wont even boot now

• Registered Users Posts: 20 zooprune

Lads,
    Has anyone at all used the Console Repairs Ireland crew for the YLOD problem?

IBTL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

zooprune wrote: »
    Lads,
    Has anyone at all used the Console Repairs Ireland crew for the YLOD problem?

be cheaper to buy a new one imo....try flog the old one for parts on fleabay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

My PS3 got YLOD almost two years ago. I bought a new one and my sister's other half fixed the old one. Not a proper fix but he took it apart, cleaned everything, removed all dust and applied a lot of thermal paste. 20 months it died again (a decent job for his first attempt at fixing one) and he's now given it back to me.

I miss my old launch PS3 and I have been thinking of getting a new PS3 to either live in the UK at my parents for when I visit or to put in my bedroom to watch Netflix on so I think I'm going to go ahead and pay to get it fixed properly.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to get it reballed at?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 zooprune

Hi,
    A quick update to my earlier post.
    Sent Sony Support an email outlining that my 40G PS3 was Kaput with the YLOD.
    (Been quoted anything between 80-160 Euros to get it fixed in various outlets)
    They mailed me back and asked me to call them and I did so today.
    Sony offered to replace my 40Gig PS3 with a reconditioned 160 Slim version for 120 lids.

Job done.

• Advertisement

zooprune wrote: »
    Sony offered to replace my 40Gig PS3 with a reconditioned 160 Slim version for 120 lids.

Job done.

Because you are purchasing this from Sony, you have a new contract with them. They now have to resolve any issues that may happen for the next good few years, for free [excluding user related issues].

Where as up until now, you had to deal with the original "Retailer". Happy days.

Advertisement