Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow Light On My PS3. Joy.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If you take Sony up on that deal then you're getting a refurbished PS3 (used) and you rights aren't as strong and will depend a lot on how much it cost compared to a new one.

NCA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Varik wrote: »
    If you take Sony up on that deal then you're getting a refurbished PS3 (used) and you rights aren't as strong and will depend a lot on how much it cost compared to a new one.

NCA

This is technically not a second hand purchase. This is refurbished to an as new spec. Broken parts are fixed, software refresh etc. In my eyes, this is as close to new without being new.

Second hand could be any condition.

RangeR wrote: »
    This is technically not a second hand purchase. This is refurbished to an as new spec. Broken parts are fixed, software refresh etc. In my eyes, this is as close to new without being new.

Second hand could be any condition.

It technically is a second hand purchase, repaired or otherwise it's not new as it's refurbished and sold as refurbished.

Which is why they state that the price you pay is important, if you're paying just about the new price then you should expect it to be near new. This on the other hand is a bit over 50% of a new price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Because you are purchasing this from Sony, you have a new contract with them. They now have to resolve any issues that may happen for the next good few years, for free [excluding user related issues].

Where as up until now, you had to deal with the original "Retailer". Happy days.

The warranty on a refurb is hardly 'a good few years' surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 zooprune

EnterNow wrote: »
    The warranty on a refurb is hardly 'a good few years' surely?

Sony provides a three month warranty with the replacement Unit

• Advertisement

zooprune wrote: »
    Sony provides a three month warranty with the replacement Unit

As I thought

Sony's "warranty" doesn't trump consumer rights. I've no interest in the warranty Sony offer.

Sony's "warranty" doesn't trump consumer rights. I've no interest in the warranty Sony offer.

True, I wonder how it could fare in the SCC if a case was made about a refurb failing.

EnterNow wrote: »
    True, I wonder how it could fare in the SCC if a case was made about a refurb failing.

True. One will have to fight for their rights.

My main point being, if one has up to 6 years to file a RRR for a new unit, paying in or around half price for a refurb [I still claim this is a step up from straight up second hand], you should have the brass balls to fight for about 3 years.

My main point being, if one has up to 6 years to file a RRR for a new unit, paying in or around half price for a refurb [I still claim this is a step up from straight up second hand], you should have the brass balls to fight for about 3 years.

I agree that physically the refurb is likely better.

I'd trust it more than a second hand gamestop console that cost only a little less than new but as it says on the consumer information site the price you pay is important, the SCC may find that a €200 gamestop PS3 should outlast and be of better quality than a €120 Sony refurb.

But how much weight would they put on the fact that it's from Sony rather than a third party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ragham87

I have the original PS3 40 Gig and I attempted to repair it myself as it was out of warranty.

I got to the motherboard and (as I didnt have a heat gun) used a hair dryer to heat the motherboard for about 20 mins, after removing the thermal paste from the CPU and GPU.

I put it back together and hey presto, it booted up. I didn't have it connected to the TV so I turned it off and on again a couple of times, just in case it was temporary. It booted up again and again so I connected to the TV.

When I turned it on, it was working fine. I got output to the TV, I was connected to the internet, etc.

I downloaded the update from PSN and when the update was finished, it crashed again, so I've no idea how to go about fixing it now. I've emailed Sony asking for it to be repaired. I think it should be done for free seeing as the PS4 will be coming out this year.

Has anyone else had this issue? I've given up I think and since I've bought an Xbox 360 but I hate how 'Apple' they are about everything if you know what I mean. I don't want to buy an X720 when that comes out, I'd much rather a PS4 but if Sony are just gonna brush a customer who has bought a PS, PS2, PS3, PSP, and televisions from them aside then I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

I asked my friends if they could give me different parts to try out so I've three PS3's in my room at the moment. Too many faults on these machines, really not worth the money considering my NES is still working.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ragham87 wrote: »

Has anyone else had this issue? I've given up I think and since I've bought an Xbox 360 but I hate how 'Apple' they are about everything if you know what I mean. I don't want to buy an X720 when that comes out, I'd much rather a PS4 but if Sony are just gonna brush a customer who has bought a PS, PS2, PS3, PSP, and televisions from them aside then I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

I asked my friends if they could give me different parts to try out so I've three PS3's in my room at the moment. Too many faults on these machines, really not worth the money considering my NES is still working.

No I don't. Enlighten us......

Ragham87 wrote: »
    I think it should be done for free seeing as the PS4 will be coming out this year.

Good thinking. I just sent an email of to Toyota there looking for a free service on my Corolla given that there's a new model Auris out this year. Fingers crossed.

Btw you've probably ruined any chance of a proper fix of the PS3 by taking a hairdryer to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭opinionated3

zooprune wrote: »
    Hi,
    A quick update to my earlier post.
    Sent Sony Support an email outlining that my 40G PS3 was Kaput with the YLOD.
    (Been quoted anything between 80-160 Euros to get it fixed in various outlets)
    They mailed me back and asked me to call them and I did so today.
    Sony offered to replace my 40Gig PS3 with a reconditioned 160 Slim version for 120 lids.

Job done.
    I did that also and received the replacement unit yesterday. Set it up today, software updates etc. first game online with black ops and the whole unit shut down. Blinking red light , no yellow one. System turns back on again but now I am wondering if its going to shut down mid game a lot. Anyone know if this is a common occurrence with Sony refurbished units?

I did that also and received the replacement unit yesterday. Set it up today, software updates etc. first game online with black ops and the whole unit shut down. Blinking red light , no yellow one. System turns back on again but now I am wondering if its going to shut down mid game a lot. Anyone know if this is a common occurrence with Sony refurbished units?

Get back onto Sony and start the "Refund, Repair, Replacement" process. They are now your retailer under contract.

Just a personal note, I don't feel safe purchasing reconditioned anything. I don't even purchase display models which are "new". I'd have bit the bullet and just purchased a new unit, saving if I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 zooprune

Same thing happened my initial refurbed model....within a week of receiving it, it started to power itself off after 20 minutes.
    I rang Sony again and demanded a replacement, which I duly received a few days later.
    No problems since (fingers crossed)

Advertisement