Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to change - ideas ?

Options
  • 30-09-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Have a 2002 Golf and am looking to change soon.
    Not mad about the Mk 5 Golf so would like to go to something else but not sure what
    I'm happy with an engine size around 1.4 due to what i'm used to and tax and insurance costs.

Any thoughts on whats good/ what to avoid ?

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Hey all,

Have a 2002 Golf and am looking to change soon.
    Not mad about the Mk 5 Golf so would like to go to something else but not sure what
    I'm happy with an engine size around 1.4 due to what i'm used to and tax and insurance costs.

Any thoughts on whats good/ what to avoid ?

thanks,

The Ford Focus is the obvious choice that comes to mind. 1.6 litre is the best option but since you are happy with the 1.4 in the Golf then you will be happy with a 1.4 Focus. Zetec models or above have the best spec including air con and alloys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

+1 on a focus , but get a good spec. There should be plenty to choose from and the driving experience will be light years ahead of your golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

groupb wrote: »
    +1 on a focus , but get a good spec. There should be plenty to choose from and the driving experience will be light years ahead of your golf.

Sounds like the focus is a winner.
    What should I be looking for specifically in the spec ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Consider the Civic also. Excellent car.

Zetec model:
    Alloy wheels,
    Air Conditioning,
    Sports suspension,
    Sports seats,
    Darkened front headlights,
    Front fog lights.

Zetec Connection Pack from mid 2006 added built-in bluetooth with voice commands, keyless entry, larger alloy wheels, electric windows allround and climate control.

Avoid basic LX or Style models. They are tough to sell on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

Also Consider the Citroen C4. Looks better than the Focus IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

wouldn't recommend a focus as its dog slow and i have found my 2 to be troublesome, also they are wayyyy too common. Maybe something like an auris the like?

TheDriver wrote: »
    wouldn't recommend a focus as its dog slow and i have found my 2 to be troublesome, also they are wayyyy too common. Maybe something like an auris the like?

Normally I would agree but considering he is coming from a 75bhp 1.4 Golf, he will be just as happy in a 1.4 Focus.

By all accounts the Auris is considered by many motoring journalists to be a poor effort by Toyota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

+1 on the Focus, have been hugely impressed with mine, largly due to the cracking diesel engine.

How much do you plan to spend?

Advertisement