Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

student jobs

• 30-09-2008 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

anyone got a really good job in which there is an opening or anyone got any good ideas

part time and weekend

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

They are sometimes advertised on UCD connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Try a big shopping centre like dundrum and hand in some cv's. Also I think the supermarkets in blackrock are hiring- M&S and Superquinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

There is a website in my signature which might be useful (Part-time jobs). Also you can try this search.

Failing the above the best thing to do is to print off many copies of your CV (get someone to proof read it first!) and walk into shops/cafes/restaurants and ask to speak to the manager - you must speak to the manager. Be polite and nice and explain your situation. Make sure you are well dressed.

When I was a student I worked in both McDonalds and a call centre. Both are always looking for staff, and both were grand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

AARRRGH wrote: »
    There is a website in my signature which might be useful (Part-time jobs). Also you can try this search.

Failing the above the best thing to do is to print off many copies of your CV (get someone to proof read it first!) and walk into shops/cafes/restaurants and ask to speak to the manager - you must speak to the manager. Be polite and nice and explain your situation. Make sure you are well dressed.

When I was a student I worked in both McDonalds and a call centre. Both are always looking for staff, and both were grand...

Good advice, man. I need part-time work myself. College has me skint. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 testybits

Student ambassadors were recruiting at the beginning of term - there were posters everywhere. Pretty good rates of pay plus you can work around your own schedule with weekends off :D

Send your cv them. Details here: https://myucd.ucd.ie/campustours/ambassadors.ezc

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As well as the shopping centres, try hitting grafton street - BT2, River Island etc are usually looking for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Want my job? I f*cking hate work :( lol. Stupid money-driven world.....

You just missed a recruitment day with Xtravision actually, think it was a couple of weeks ago.

Keep an eye in the papers for ads.

Give out CV's everywhere with a cover letter.

If you're desperate, then apply to Dunnes, Tescos, Superquinn, and the likes. Also, McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, and the likes.

You can always keep looking once you get in there, but desperate times (recession!!!!!!!!!!!!), desperate measures, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Dave! wrote: »
    If you're desperate, then apply to Dunnes, Tescos, Superquinn, and the likes. Also, McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, and the likes.

You can always keep looking once you get in there, but desperate times (recession!!!!!!!!!!!!), desperate measures, etc.

Desperate is not working in any of the above. People have short memories when it comes to making money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

gubbie wrote: »
    Desperate is not working in any of the above. People have short memories when it comes to making money

You sound like my grannie:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Ultimate student job: Google Search rater.. €15 an hour, self employed, own hours. Sorted :) Its on Monster.ie occasionally.

• Advertisement

gubbie wrote: »

I agree completely. :)

Even though I have a fairly good job now, I would still work in any of those places if I was stuck.

I'll never be too proud to earn money. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Dave! wrote: »
    If you're desperate, then apply to Dunnes, Tescos, Superquinn, and the likes.

rofl, why would one have to be desperate to work in a super market?
    Also, McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, and the likes.
    Those Id agree with you are pretty ****ty jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

I work part time in a supermarket- I don't feel particularly desperate.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

How hard is to find some student job over summer and what are usually pay rates for some of student jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

minimum wage is €8.65 p/h, most places pay around €10 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Ok thanks,i had no idea about it,so 10€ per hour is usual what people can count on

Ok thanks,i had no idea about it,so 10€ per hour is usual what people can count on

Well with the economy going bad wages might start dropping.

Personally if I was back as a full-time student I'd be trying to beat the summertime rush by getting a part-time job in one of those companies before my exams start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm still looking too:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

most places pay around €10 I think.

Dont thnk this is the case. Most places will try and get away with paying students as little as they can as they know if they complain about the wage there will always be someone else there, willing to step in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Supermarket work aint my bag, so I would certainly place it low in my list of desirable jobs... If you like it, good for you :)

Incidentally, got a new manager in work on Monday and now I'm on the look-out for a new job :( 2 of the others who work in the store (only 6 work there altogether) and myself are all looking to leave already. I'll give her a few days, but she is an absolute f*ck, so I don't fancy staying there anymore!

Re: wages -- I was under the illusion that most retail jobs paid minimum wage, and the most I've earned p/h is what I'm on now (€9.09!); but clothes shops and the likes supposedly pay €10+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bear in mind that a lot of places will be looking for Christmas temps starting around now, back when I worked for GAME (quit in '07 after 4 years... lol) they always interviewed in early October for temps.

Advertisement