Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 preformance

Options
  • 30-09-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi there, wondering about a .223 round and having finding some bits of info. I have quite a good rifle with a 12" rate of twist.
    Q1: Is this adequate to stabilise 75 grain bullett?
    Q2: What would be the expected muzzle velocity of this round, say Hornaday
    Q3: Does anyone know where I could get an idea of this balistic preformance.

Any help appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Try this as a basic ballistics chart.

http://www.pacinfo.com/~dropinsator/chart1.htm#223%20Rem

Or alternatively google 223 ballistic charts tables and work from that.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

with a 1:12 twist you can stabilize up to 65gr bullets
    velocity would be around the 3150 feet per second
    balistic preformance, sorry couldnt tell ya about that
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

The following is from a forum that I use alot, and found to be helpful.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-158429.html

I consider that I have 2 of the 3 bases covered in .223.

1. 1 in 12", or 1 in 14. 1 in 12s are good for 35-55 grain, though some say up to 62 gr if your rifle happens to like them. 1 in 14s are good for 35-50/52, and perhaps up to 55. My Handi has 1 in 12 twist.

2. 1 in 9, or 1 in 10. Versatile; do-it-all. Won't spin apart 45s or 50s, but probably would disintegrat 35s or 40s. Work very good with 55s. Work great with 62s. Will handle up to 69/70s. Perhaps up to 77s even if your rifle likes them. My AR has this rate.

3. 1 in 7, or 1 in 6.5. I don't yet have a rifle in this category. But 1 in 7 will handle up 90 grain, and 1 in 6.5 supposedly up to 100 gr (if anyone even makes those anymore). Dunno the bottom limits for these 2, but I suspect that 1 in 7s would work fine with 62s, but notsomuch with 55s.

I would recommend that you do a lot of research and study.

Again this was got by googling 223 twist rate.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

1 in 7 works fine for 55's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭emcor

thanks guys - now off for some traget practice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement