Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A1 and A2 - Should we just have an A1?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

deemark wrote: »
    They're not given marks 'for free' but if the script ends up at 358/400 (89.5%), you wouldn't leave it hanging. You go back and see if it deserves to be brought up to an A1 or if it's a more solid A2. The SEC are keen to cut down on rechecks, so we're told to give solid grades. Examiners are teachers at the end of the day and I would be furious if I saw 358/400 on any of my student's L.C. scripts.

You seem to be forgetting that in very many subjects, several components are added together to give the overall mark. The examiner therefore has no idea whether the candidate is close to a grade boundary or not. So they can't look back over such scripts looking for extra marks, even if they felt so inclined.

I marked maths for many years and we never considered whether or not a mark was close to a boundary; it was pointless, since the ones that were close to a boundary on our paper was unlikely to be close to a boundary when you added the two papers. The chips fell where they fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I think the system as it is, is fine. What's wrong with it? If you brought in an A3 grade, then the better students would aim for 95%, and courses like medicine and law would just stay at ridiculously high points. Or, the points would drop a bit, but it would still be relatively difficult to get in.

The way it stands, students get an extra 10 points for going an extra mile to get from 89.75% to 90%. (and it IS an extra mile, the difference between an A1 and A2 can be many more hours of extra studying) So the student who goes miles more, gets rewarded by a 10 points jump between grades, instead of the normal 5 points. What's the big problem? There has to be a cut off somewhere, so if you get 1 mark short of an A1, loose out on 10 points and your dream course, that's just bad luck*

*coming from a student who almost missed out in a place in medicine because I was 3 marks short of an A1, and 10 extra points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Piste wrote: »
    The taste of the banhammer is sour indeed.

Why on earth would anyone taste the banhammer? Surely getting hit would be bad enough, never mind licking the damn thing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You seem to be forgetting that in very many subjects, several components are added together to give the overall mark. The examiner therefore has no idea whether the candidate is close to a grade boundary or not. So they can't look back over such scripts looking for extra marks, even if they felt so inclined.

I marked maths for many years and we never considered whether or not a mark was close to a boundary; it was pointless, since the ones that were close to a boundary on our paper was unlikely to be close to a boundary when you added the two papers. The chips fell where they fell.

Apologies, I didn't make it clear that it was English I was talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What about thetwo papers in English, does the same examiner mark both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

K4t wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

That is somewhat understandable in subjects like English and history where the examiner's opinion has a large impact on the final result but that is a ridiculous statement with regards to subjects like Accounting, Maths, Physics etc.

Your grade is your grade. If you get 358, then you get 358 and not 360. End of story.

I must disagree with this, I was talking to a corrector of exams, and apparently the have to have a roughly certain percentage of each grade and fails etc. So if you are bordering a grade they go back and bring you up or drop you down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Piste wrote: »
    What about thetwo papers in English, does the same examiner mark both?

yes as far as i can remember they do, it's the only subject that's marked like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

yes as far as i can remember they do, it's the only subject that's marked like that.

Actually, I think Irish is that way too.

But subjects that have separate projects, oral, practicals, etc. are all marked separately, (as are maths P1 and P2).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Actually, I think Irish is that way too.

But subjects that have separate projects, oral, practicals, etc. are all marked separately, (as are maths P1 and P2).

yes it is, i'd forgotten about that, but it does have the oral so again, it's the same as having two separate marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

How about changing it to A2:85%-90% (90 points), A1:90%-95% (100 points) and then call 95%+ A-Super, A-Special or A-Amazing? Still worth 100 points and it's great for the ego - excellent idea imo.

• Advertisement

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    How about changing it to A2:85%-90% (90 points), A1:90%-95% (100 points) and then call 95%+ A-Super, A-Special or A-Amazing? Still worth 100 points and it's great for the ego - excellent idea imo.

+1.

Call it A*. I like this idea, we all love bragging rights, even if it means nothing in the overall scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Cian92 wrote: »
    I must disagree with this, I was talking to a corrector of exams, and apparently the have to have a roughly certain percentage of each grade and fails etc. So if you are bordering a grade they go back and bring you up or drop you down!!
    Whatever you're on, I want some :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I wouldn't have gotten any A*s. Therefore I think it's an awful idea.

jaffa20 wrote: »

I got 69% overall in my university subject but was still awarded a 1.1.

How?69% is a 2:1.

I wouldn't have gotten any A*s. Therefore I think it's an awful idea.

Words of a sore looser :p

I wouldn't have gotten any A*'s either!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Do you know what percentage you got in all your subjects? o.O (I wish they'd publish the exact number, but I have a suspicion one of my A2s is more of a 85.00%)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Why on earth would anyone taste the banhammer? Surely getting hit would be bad enough, never mind licking the damn thing! :pac:

If its the last thing you'll ever taste, why not lick it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 heywhatever

I think its suitable enough as it is; you have to remember that it is a competition for places and someone getting 90 points and you getting 100 in a subject may be the difference between you getting the place you want in college and not getting it. This year I would be a me feiner and focus on myself, not on others...

Advertisement