Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggest a Stereo........

Options
  • 30-09-2008 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

My old 2000 Bora (now driven by the wife) has an Amercian radio/CD player in it. She's given out about this for years but now that Today FM are moving frequency, she'll miss out on Ian Dempsey on her morning commute.

So now I need a stereo to replace the one that's there. It MUST have RCA/phono out as there is a 1kW system in the boot. The unit is a Pioneer DEH-P700R so I want something to replace this.

Any suggestions? MP3 and iPod integration is not an issue. Basically I just want a unit that herself can use and that will also give high quality reproduction should I decide to take the Bora for a spin. Pioneer would be my preferred brand.

And I want to keep the cost to a minimum.........

All your suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

crosstownk wrote: »
    My old 2000 Bora (now driven by the wife) has an Amercian radio/CD player in it. She's given out about this for years but now that Today FM are moving frequency, she'll miss out on Ian Dempsey on her morning commute.

So now I need a stereo to replace the one that's there. It MUST have RCA/phono out as there is a 1kW system in the boot. The unit is a Pioneer DEH-P700R so I want something to replace this.

Any suggestions. MP3 and iPod integration is not an issue. Basically I just want a unit that herself can use and that will also give high quality reproduction should I decide to take the Bora for a spin. Pioneer would be my preferred brand.

And I want to keep the cost to a minimum.........

All your suggestions are appreciated.

Could you try a radio band expander / converter like this one for example http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230288332674&indexURL=

• Registered Users Posts: 65,448 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

FWIW I bought a lower end model, the Pioneer DEH-4000UB a few months ago in Argos for €124. It has USB-in which I find great

The sound quality for the money was simply amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Could you try a radio band expander / converter like this one for example http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230288332674&indexURL=

I'm not sure if that will work. The American FM band is the same as the European band. But the American tuners tune in steps of 0.2MHz (European tuners can tune to 0.05MHz or 0.1MHz). So I can tune to 100.3 but not 100.4. So I don't think an expander will work.

@unkel - thanks, but that's way too complicated for my missus. Essentially all the amplifier equaliser stuff is not needed - I have an external DSP (DEQ 9200 in 'Pro' mode) for all the audio adjustments - including volume. I just need a radio/CD player with RCA out (line out) to connect to the DSP. The amplifier in the head unit will not be used.

I'm not sure if that will work. The American FM band is the same as the European band. But the American tuners tune in steps of 0.2MHz (European tuners can tune to 0.05MHz or 0.1MHz). So I can tune to 100.3 but not 100.4. So I don't think an expander will work.

Actually your dead right, I wonder is there any INTL code that can unlock a european mode on your model of radio

Actually your correct is there any INTL code that can unlock a europena mode on your model of radio

I'm not sure - I looked into that a few years ago and had no success. I might dig again - just in case.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure - I looked into that a few years ago and had no success. I might dig again - just in case.

I've the stereo below, its pretty decent and has a car kit (if you've bluetooth) builtin. no RCA AFAIK but you can add extension for RCA etc on the back there is an IPod integration kit

I've one of these http://cgi.ebay.ie/BLAUPUNKT-HAMBURG-CD-BUILT-IN-BLUE-TOOTH-TEL-CONNECT_W0QQitemZ150250368788QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150250368788&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It doesn't have RCA but you can add it & iPod connection easy!

Edit: RCA extension : http://cgi.ebay.ie/Blaupunkt-car-stereo-Aux-in-lead-RCA-For-DVD-TV-iPod_W0QQitemZ180292923133QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180292923133&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Due to my configuration I need RCA - it's the only way to get the audio to the speakers - the amps are in the boot and there are no connections from the head unit direct to the speakers. The audio signal must first pass (at line level) to the DSP and from there it is split to 3 separate amps (low, mid and high). iPod compatibility does not concern me nor does MP3 file recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

Today FM is also generally available in Dublin (if the aerial is OK) on 1OO.9, which an American channelised radio would tune to OK.

Advertisement