Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft positives and negatives - deleted

Options
  • 30-09-2008 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if I could have a 2nd opinion (by admins/mods).

I created a thread in the Airsoft forum listing some of the postive aspects of the sport Airsoft. Along with this, I listed the negative aspects as well. I asked that others in the forum build on these two lists so that we could identify all of the good & bad points about airsoft.

The end goal was that we could discuss how to address the bad points, and how to use the good points to defend our sport. Harmless, right?

All of the points listed have been covered in many many threads in the same forum over the past 2 years, but I was trying to collate them into one thread. In other words, there was nothing in the post that hasn't been seen many times before in the forum.

A moderator deleted the post and sent me quite an aggressive PM stating I should get some 'cop on'. I don't think it's a moderators place to insult members. When I replied asking for the thread to be restored & using the exact same phrase ("cop on"), I was threatened with a ban.

I have read the forum charter, and I know the boards.ie rules. The post did not in any way breach either the forum charter or boards.ie rules.

(Forum charter FYI: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977747 )

The moderators personal opinion on the content of the thread was used to make the decision to delete it. This cannot be right. Moderators must put aside their personal opinions and act in a professional manner and uphold the rules of this website, and the forum.

No rules were broken. Nobody was harmed by my post. It was a pleasant thread intended to help. I cannot see any just reason for it to have been deleted.

I can't post the exact contents of the thread as I don't have a copy, and I can't post the contents of the PM exchange without the mods permission. But if needed, the admins haver permission to read my PM's.

So, can anyone tell me what was so wrong with the thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Not even worth 1 reply?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Bit hard to comment when we cant see the thread in question. What mod was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

A moderator deleted the post and sent me quite an aggressive PM stating I should get some 'cop on'. I don't think it's a moderators place to insult members.

Since when is "cop on" an insult?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

The thread was pointless in my opinion.

No one involved in Airsoft wants a massive list of whats wrong with the sport

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

CrazyRabbit, if you want an opinion by staff/admins specifically then ask for the thread to be moved to Helpdesk where the rabble can't reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ponster wrote: »
    CrazyRabbit, if you want an opinion by staff/admins specifically then ask for the thread to be moved to Helpdesk where the rabble can't reply.

Yep, report the thread and ask for a move to the helpdesk. The reply you will get will be from the people who can/might deal with the issue.

Sorry, I thought that's what this forum was for. Guess it's changed or I misunderstood. Move requested as suggested.

EDIT: Woah. Edit I'm going (really) crazy or it's already in the Helpdesk forum!

The Master wrote: »
    The thread was pointless in my opinion.

No one involved in Airsoft wants a massive list of whats wrong with the sport

It also included a longer list of what is good with the sport. (neither list was 'massive' either)

If a reporter wanted to do a piece on airsoft, the thread would have interested them greatly. Reporters already know the list of problems with the sport, as that is what they currently write about in their articles. My hope is that if we balanced that with a list of the very postitive aspects as well, that it may help them write a more balanced article.

Since when is "cop on" an insult?

Well it's hardly friendly....though perhaps condescending would have been a better description. It was more the tone of the PM than the actual words

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Please provide me with the name of the Moderator you are complaining about so I can grant him access to this Forum for right of reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Its ok I have access. He got his response via email and that is all I have to say about the subject. The thread was removed after it was reported.

The reasons behind your ban have been explained to me.
    A certain amount of 'cop on' is required when posting in that particular forum due to the publicity it attracts.
    The ban stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Err he wasn't banned, the thread was only deleted :D

All this for a deleted thread!?
    ppffff

I'm well aware of the publicity the forum recieves. That was partly why I made the thread.

There has been a lot of posts on that very same forum over the past few months stating the negative aspects of Airsoft. There's also been some newspaper articles and radio shows which have been heavily biased and focus purely on these negative points.

If we had a thread outlining these negatives, along with the postive aspects (that outnumber the negatives), then it may help a reporter/researcher get a more balanced view. Even 'Joe Public' would get to see both sides.

And then if we followed this up with threads discussing how to tackle the negatives, and how to promote the positives, it gives a strong message to viewers that we take all concerns seriously and are doing our best to address them.

Beruthiel, I'm not sure if you have seen the specific post in question, but it really isn't anything likely to endanger Airsoft.

And my reporting this was more than just about the thread itself. It's partly about a moderator deleting a thread/post because of their own personal opinion. As stated, the post broke no rules and complied fully with the Forum Charter. If posts such as mine are not suitable on the forum then the forum charter should be updated to state as such. What's the point of having rules if Moderators don't have to abide by them?

I've met Gandalf many times in real life and he's a nice guy, so this is not intended an attack on him personally. I'm just questioning his moderating decision in this one particular case which doesn't seem justified.

Advertisement