Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which make/model car did you learn to drive in?

Options
  • 30-09-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

I'm doing some research with regard to a driving school and wondered which type car people found best to learn in?
    Would greatly appreciate peoples views on this, especially what they found good or bad about the particular car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Similar thread from a while ago here: What car did you pass in

I started in gf's VW Polo ... then the instructor Open Corsa and finally in my own Starlet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Went through Volkswagen Polo, Nissan Micra, Renault Megane Classic, Renault Megane '04, Ford Fiesta. Favourite was the Megane classic followed closely by the Polo, then the Fiesta. The 04 Megane was too big and awkward for Cork's narrow streets and the Micra was simply a heap of ****e.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Golf
    Micra (for one week)
    Seat Ibiza
    Daewoo Lanos (the slowest car in the world)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I started im my mums volkswagen passat...I had it wrote off within 4 weeks....:D
    hastings.jpg

then my aunty gave me her morris 1300 which I still have out in the shed and never crashed...
    fea13mor1.jpg

eventuall saved up and bought a citroen bx, which I wrote off as well:D

citroen-bx-19-trd.jpg

I had all these by the time I was 18 and still on a provinial licence.....i've only carshed once since and that was about 6 weeks after getting my full licence.....I'm now accident free for 14 years....:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hyundai Getz 1.1, don't care about the looks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I first learned to drive my parent's '93 Ford Sierra 1.7L TD. It was also the first car I got insured on.

I done my actual driving test in my '90 Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Been driving a 00 Peugeot 206 since I started. Does the job

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Driving a 00 Punto (mk2) for the last few months since I got my permit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Families 03 Focus 1.6 LX Saloon for about a month now , hoping to get my own after the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Started in a Renault Megane with a driving school, Did 40+ lessons in that. Was a nice car too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Thanks for all the replies and for the link to the previous similar thread which I had missed. I'm particularly interested in cars used by driving schools however, I'm trying to find the most suitable car to start a driving school with.
    I appreciate people will move on to their own car for the test,etc. but which did people begin their lessons with.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Did my lessons in a Suzuki Swift. Very girlie car so had to keep the head down!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Susyblue

I'm learning in my parents nissan almera saloon.

Most of the driving schools have small, hatchback cars like fiestas, puntos or corollas, these are way easy to learn in than saloons, in my opinion. Saloons are too bulky and long. Fine for open road but not for heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

started in a renault clio and megane , both were the instructer cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Started off doing lessons in a 00 megane then instructor upgraded to an 08 corsa, got a 99 peugeot 306 got stolen, then started doing lessons with a new instructor in a nissian tida (crap) in the run up to my test which they canceled and now have to wait till november, just bought myself a 03 seat ibiza which i will be using in the test... best car out of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

for me its was an old 1969 mini.....
    thats why i love them to this day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

200 Citroen xsara 1.4, nice bitta power in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Learned how to drive on a Massey 35, sat my driving test in a Micra..... Best little car on the road.

Learned to ride a bike on a suzuki marauder 125,an absolute rubbish bike. I learned to drive a car in a 1996 ford fiesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Learned how to drive on a Massey 35, sat my driving test in a Micra..... Best little car on the road.
    I started driving on a Fordson Super Dexta as a child and then on my brothers motorbike. I think the first car I drove was a Hillman Avenger. (All in private property long before reaching the legal age). The first car I drove on a public road was a Corolla I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Learned how to drive (the hard way) in a bus (don't ask!).

First time on the road was in a Micra, then 08 Corsa and practising in my Focus at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

TheElf wrote: »
    Started in a Renault Megane with a driving school, Did 40+ lessons in that. Was a nice car too!

Holy crap, 40+ lessons!!!!! Thats alot!!

Em, to the OP, if you have your own car I would think of getting lessons in something roughly the same size as your own car.

Other than that I dont think it matters what car you learn in. A car is a car. If you can drive properly in one car, you can drive properly in them all!!

I have a colt myself, which I love. First set of lessons were in a Micra. Hated the car, then second set in a yaris, loved it, if i ever sell my colt ill buy a yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Started in a ten year old Merc 190E. Then took lessons in an instructors ford fiesta before the test. Couldn't drive that thing at all, found the turning circle and stuff awful so I took the test in the big merc and passed first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

00 Nissan Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

1964 Ford Anglia, followed by a 1968 MG 1300 :) (Yes, it was a long time ago!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Had a few lessons initially in a Toyota Aygo and then learned in a Toyota Yaris and took the test in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

'04 honda accord (my dads)
    some sort of new mini (instructers)
    '00? toyota corolla (my mums)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

My instructor had a 90-something Yaris, it was a great little car!

Now i'm learning in my mam's 07 Corolla, it's a bloody massive thing, PITA for reversing...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fonpokno wrote: »
    07 Corolla, it's a bloody massive thing
    :eek: A Corolla would fit into the "small family car" bracket! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

:eek: A Corolla would fit into the "small family car" bracket! :)

Ha yes but compared to the Yaris and to the size of me it just feels like the biggest car in the world! :)

The boot is huge, can't fecking judge the size of it for the life of me. Parking is hard... Fecking women - no spatial awareness!

Advertisement