Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera Mini slow with 3 Network

• 01-10-2008 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Has anyone found that the Mobile Java app works very slowly when used in conjuction with 3's Network? It takes an excessively long time to connect to and process a page, sometimes 10 seconds to a minute or two, sometimes it doesn't load at all.

I doubt this is a problem on Opera's proxy server. I imagine 3 must be throttling Opera Mini-bound traffic, for some reason. OM uses less bandwidth as it compresses all data perhaps that is why.

Accessing websites directly through Nokia's in-built browser works fine with no stalling. Also, the problem happens over both GPRS and UMTS.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've had the same problems on my se k800i using both the built in web browser and opera mini. I put it down to 3's network being utter shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

No problem with 3, o.m. and e61, F700, and ubiquio 501...in fact, fewer time-outs and disconnects than on Vodafone.
    What sites (if any particular sites?) are you having problems with - as that is most likely the issue!? 3g or not is just about irrelevant with om, but some websites can cause issues; nothing to do with phone, signal or network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

having the same problem with opera I thought it was opera that was at fault as everything else works fine hmmm is there any other apps like operamin out there to try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i've found it to be extremely slow too but i put it down to om. I haven't used it much on other networks so can't really compare it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

apollodjs wrote: »
    having the same problem with opera I thought it was opera that was at fault as everything else works fine hmmm is there any other apps like operamin out there to try?

"teashark" - at www.teashark.com . It lacks some of o.m.'s features but adds some extras also... It uses a bit more data than om, but a lot less than built-in browsers. It's still in "beta" (test phase), but if it works on your phone it works. And it's fast - some sites it renders faster than o.m....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

+1 for slow OM on 3 only. Glad someone else noticed it too. Put up with it as it was the only cheap option for regular PAYG data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Slow here too.. But i'm using the new Mini Global Opera mini beta as well and it's faster.

Advertisement