Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resolution prob

Options
  • 01-10-2008 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

hey all
    I have recently acquired an LG W3000H 30" monitor and a graphic card - ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
    system is fully updated with the latest drivers etc..have ATI Catalyst Control Center insalled too
    the problem is - can't get the resolution beyond 1280 x 800 !!
    (i think the native res is 2560 x 1600)

anyone any advice on this? everything is looking very blocky!!
    is there anything i can do? or should i just get get rid of it?

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Few questions;

Did you re-boot after installing the graphics drivers?
    Was there another card in the system before the 2600xt?
    How are you trying to change the res, Windows or ATI's control centre?
    What exactly happens when you try to change the res? Is the option there to go higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

hiya
    yeah i followed the guidelines for installing the new car, which instructed to unload all previous ATI software before proceeding, which i done. So after installing the new drivers that came with the card it did ask that i re-boot.
    the card i was replacing was an ATI X1200 Pro. Its back in the machine at present.
    I later installed the latest ATI drivers (16 Sep 08) from their site this didn't seem to help much tho.
    I've tried to use the Control Center and also the Vista Display Settings.

The options to go up to 2560 x 1600 is there, but if i try and up the res the screen goes dark and after a second reappears and the numbers jump back to 1280 x 800 if i try to increase the res to anything near 2560 x 1600 the screen remains dark and will remain so after a re-boot even so i've no choice only to boot to safe mode and perform a sys restore.

i was wondering might there be some connection between the Vista driver being applied after i uninstall all the ATI drivers, when i uninstall and a reboot windows automatically installs it's own graphic driver - i'm not sure if its a generic driver or a Vista version for the 2600 XT card!!
    so could it be that i dont really have themost up to date drivers for the card
    I've checked the monitor and its native res is 2560 x 1600 and the card should be able to display at that res.
    the other
    I might have another go at it this evening :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sounds like the 2600 is broken. You have pretty much done everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have another go, but this time stop Vista finding a driver.

First of all install driver sweeper. Uninstall the old driver in control panel --> reboot --> boot to safe mode by pressing f8 while booting --> run driver sweeper --> empty recycle bin --> reboot --> boot to vista --> stop Vista finding a driver --> install latest Ati Catalyst.

If your still having problems well then its not a driver problem but that your card is fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

just in case anyone else comes up with this problem, the solution was so so simple.
    When i fitted the new card i left the original DVI cable in place not realising it was a single NOT a dual DVI cable, even swapped that particular cable for another (single) one!!!
    So today i had removed the card to ship it off when i noticed there was an adapter for one of the ports which was different than any i'd seen before so i checked the cable that was in the box with about three/four other DVI cable i had around the place and it dawned on me that there were different cables :o
    anyway it's something else to check if anyone comes across a similar prob.

happy out now with my 30 Inch S-IPS monitor at the right resolution :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement