Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP Pro SP2 Welcome Screen Freezes

• 01-10-2008 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

My brother bought a Komplett Entry i10 pc about 6 months ago and over the last few months the Windows XP Welcome Screen Freezes about every 1 in 3 times that he boots up. The different login profiles are greyed out and the only way to fix it is to reboot. However, lately it takes 3 or 4 reboots to fix the problem.

I have included the PC spec that he gave me, any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Intel® DQ35JO, Q35 Express, Socket-775 mATX, GbLAN, DDR2, PCI-Ex16, VGA

Intel Core# 2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz, Socket LGA775, 6MB, 1333Mhz, BOXED w/fan

Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 4096MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 2048MB

EVGA GeForce 8600GT 512MB DDR2 PCI-Express, 2xDVI/Tv-Out/HDCP

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2c Software English OEM

Microsoft Wireless Mouse & Keyboard

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

This may seem silly but has he tried activating the automatic login feature just to see if it makes a difference?

BTW, this seems to be your problem. There's even a Microsoft engineer on the thread but who hasn't a solution for you. What some tried was to activate the guest account and/or install SP3.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do you have the administrator password ?
    if not then set one , just for testing
    if it's blank then for xp home you may only be able to logon / log someone out in safe mode or something , can't remember the details

are you sure it's doing a cold boot and not just a standby / hibernate ?
    in control panel , power , turn OFF hibernation
    reboot in safe mode twice (F8 on startup) , sure why not :)
    and see how it behaves

if autologon exists
    tweakui has an autologon option - install / use it to remove the autologon setting

Advertisement