Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blue Screen of Death error- Win XP Pro

• 01-10-2008 8:16am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My PC is currently caught in a loop of BSOD's when I try to boot up, it starts loading windows and I get a flash of a BSOD and it reboots. No idea what the error actually is because it reboots too quickly.

The first thing I decided to try was to stick in the installation CD and I was going to try and do a repair from there. For some reason I can't understand the PC will not boot from the CD but tries to start windows each time. I checked the boot config in setup and the first preference is CD. I disconnected my primary HDD and it boots from the CD fine, but thats not a lot of use to me.

My primary HDD is a 500gig Samsung SATA drive. I am not running RAID or any fanciness like that.

If I can get it to boot from the CD with the primary HDD connected I think I can deal with anything from there, can anyone help at all?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Your BSOD could also be a hardware (memory?) problem.

As for your booting problem:

When booting up, you normally get an option to boot into the bios by pressing ESC/F10/F12 but you alsoshould have a key (usually F8) to bring up the boot menu. Here you can choose which device to boot from no matter what the bios settings say.
    If you do this yet don't see the CD drive as an option then you have a motherboard/driver issue I'd guess.

How did you originally manege to install Windows? Has any hardware changed since?

Are you sure that the XP CD that you have is bootable and not one that you need to install from an existing XP installation?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ponster wrote: »
    Your BSOD could also be a hardware (memory?) problem.

I know, thats what I'm afraid of. I have installed any new hardware since I built the PC last December though, so I hope its not.

Ponster wrote: »
    As for your booting problem:

When booting up, you normally get an option to boot into the bios by pressing ESC/F10/F12 but you alsoshould have a key (usually F8) to bring up the boot menu. Here you can choose which device to boot from no matter what the bios settings say.
    If you do this yet don't see the CD drive as an option then you have a motherboard/driver issue I'd guess.

How did you originally manege to install Windows? Has any hardware changed since?

Are you sure that the XP CD that you have is bootable and not one that you need to install from an existing XP installation?

There is no option for boot up except F8 to enter Setup, in setup my dvd drive is selected as boot device 1. As I said I can boot fine from the CD once I disconnect my primary HDD.

Its a bootable CD alright, no doubt about it.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Motherboard make and model, also the DVD drive just to rule out a bios issue.

MC

Motherboard make and model, also the DVD drive just to rule out a bios issue.

MC

Asus P5B-V, G965, Socket-775, ATX, VGA, GbLAN, SATAII, DDR2, Firew, 2xPCI-Ex16.

NEC DVD recorder ND-3500A IDE White

they/them/theirs

Rightio, I just got it to boot from CD by disabling the HDD in Setup. I should have known that though.

No for that pesky blue screen..........

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Cool. F8 *should* have worked though and says so in the Asus P5B-V manual.

Good luck with the BSOD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Rightio, I just got it to boot from CD by disabling the HDD in Setup. I should have known that though.

No for that pesky blue screen..........

Now that you have access to the system you should set Windows to NOT shutdown or restart on error.

This should allow you to view the details of the blue screen error the next time it happens.

How to:

1. Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.
    2. Click Properties.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery
    4. Under System failure, click to clear the Automatically restart check box.
    5. Click OK, and then click OK.
    6. Try to reproduce the error message.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement