Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car dented

Options
  • 01-10-2008 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Came back to my car yesterday to see a lovely dent in the passenger door. Luckily a resident witnessed what happened and took the reg. So now the hunt is on for the sh!theads who did it. I’ve given the details to the Gardai and await with interest to see what happens. Luckily the dent is the kind that dentmasters can make disappear so no body work required. I’ll keep you posted.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What a p.i.t.a.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Came back to my car yesterday to see a lovely dent in the passenger door. Luckily a resident witnessed what happened and took the reg. So now the hunt is on for the sh!theads who did it. I’ve given the details to the Gardai and await with interest to see what happens. Luckily the dent is the kind that dentmasters can make disappear so no body work required. I’ll keep you posted.

In my experience the Gardai will do absolutely shag all about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

We'll see, the reg plate, time and 3 witnesses, can't do much more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Have u put the reg into cartell.ie to see what make, model and colour it is?

Nice one, didn't think of that..

Registration (better leave this out for now)
    Make PEUGEOT
    Model 307
    Description 3DR XRAD 2.0HDI
    Fuel Type DIESEL

Blue, witness says left hand drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is it ROI registered?

Yes, Limerick reg....

That's a help, if you can get their insurance details from the gardai you can claim.

We'll see, the reg plate, time and 3 witnesses, can't do much more!

My wife had all that too - not that it got her very far! Even a letter to the superintendent didn't get them to sort it out....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

XRAD is the carvan version, isint it? Might narrow it down even more...

• Advertisement

Yes, blue 307 XRAD, left hand drive, Limerick reg, won't be many of these, if anyone sees it feel free to kick in one of the doors, just don't forget to leave a note. (kidding....ish)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Whereabouts did it happen?

Ranalagh, Dublin, between 4 and 5pm yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

My wife had all that too - not that it got her very far! Even a letter to the superintendent didn't get them to sort it out....

Well, you see, it isn't the Gardais problem, it is yours! They wont be able to being a prosecution over a parking scrape, and so they are out of the picture.

Your only solution is to get the drivers details from the Local authority through the reg plate. As I said before this generally costs €6 or so.

Then if you don't get satisfaction you sue them in the district court.

No point whinging about the Gardai, you may as well ask the milkman to solve the problem for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,953 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What about leaving the scene of an accident, maidhc?

The witness said he got out of the car while his car was in the middle of the road, and his car rolled back into mine. Then he legged it. Not really your average parking scrape. Still, lets see how the Gardai handle it, I'll reserve judgment for now. If the Garda in question does not pursue it, given that all the info is being handed to them on a plate a will be looking for answers why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i beg to differ. same thing happened in my garage (common car parks in apt complex), the gardai came promptly, traced the person in question, rang them and when they didnt answer, went to knock on their door. they werent there, but the gardai rang again the next day and got through, they rang me immediately, and now ive just received the cheque in the post.

they were not obliged to prosecute or anything as this was on private property but they helped!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

really really hope you catch the ahole.

some guy added a nice dent + scrapes to the front left my car and cracked the side headlamp. I didnt notice it for a week atleast. Luckily its not too bad but still really annoying :mad:

Happy days! Called into Donybrook Garda station this evening after work and gave them all the information. They have just called to say the have made contact with the guy, he has confessed to everything and I can now claim against his insurance. Lets here here it for the guys and gals in blue, great work! To be honest it wasn't so much the cost of the repair, a dentmaster would sort it, but I am just delighted the guy was caught and no doubt shat himself when the Gardai called, maybe he will think twice next time.

Now for a big bunch of flowers for the lady that took his reg!

Happy days! Called into Donybrook Garda station this evening after work and gave them all the information. They have just called to say the have made contact with the guy, he has confessed to everything and I can now claim against his insurance. Lets here here it for the guys and gals in blue, great work! To be honest it wasn't so much the cost of the repair, a dentmaster would sort it, but I am just delighted the guy was caught and no doubt shat himself when the Gardai called, maybe he will think twice next time.

Glad it went well for you - you had a better experience with the Gardai than I did!

To the poster who suggested it wasn't a Gardai problem: this guy dented and scraped several panels of my wife's car and pissed off - how is this not a criminal matter? I had to keep contacting the Garda in question before eventually complaining to the superintendent. The Garda then came back with some cock and bull story about it being a cloned reg plate and no insurance. With an elderly driver? Yeah right!

• Advertisement

Good to hear.

To the poster who suggested it wasn't a Gardai problem: this guy dented and scraped several panels of my wife's car and pissed off - how is this not a criminal matter?

One can argue it is. s106 of the 1961 Road Traffic Act probably suggests it is. Were the Gardaí to do their job they would bring him before the court and nothing else (if they think fit to being a prosecution, and lets face it, they are unlikley to do so)

HOWEVER

It is not their job nor responsibility to make sure you get your car fixed. That is a civil matter and something between you and the person who damages your car and possibly an insurance company.

The Gardai will often be of assistance if there is a dispute about who is in the wrong or in the right, but generally don't like getting involved (as it isn't their problem, crime is!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

maidhc wrote: »
    Well, you see, it isn't the Gardais problem, it is yours! They wont be able to being a prosecution over a parking scrape, and so they are out of the picture.

Your only solution is to get the drivers details from the Local authority through the reg plate. As I said before this generally costs €6 or so.

Then if you don't get satisfaction you sue them in the district court.

No point whinging about the Gardai, you may as well ask the milkman to solve the problem for you.
    Surely this isnt wright,at mimium he/she could be done for leaving the scene of a accident which is against the law.If the guards wanted that is,all they would have to do is get the adress via the reg,ring the guards in that local garda station and they can call to the culprit and tell them that they have been seen doing it and it is going to cost xxx amount to fix it,thanks very much,heres a receipt,have a nice day.Thats IF they wanted to..

thetyreman wrote: »
    Surely this isnt wright,at mimium he/she could be done for leaving the scene of a accident which is against the law.If the guards wanted that is,all they would have to do is get the adress via the reg,ring the guards in that local garda station and they can call to the culprit and tell them that they have been seen doing it and it is going to cost xxx amount to fix it,thanks very much,heres a receipt,have a nice day.Thats IF they wanted to..

Of course they could, and clearly as this thread illustrates, they do. The gardai are generally very helpful, but as I said, their job is to bring prosecutions and get people convicted, not compensate victims.

If they chose for whatever reason to do nothing, then that is entirely their right. They just might be busy doing real police work.

Excuse me i made my previous post without looking at page 2.sorry.

Glad it worked out ok for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

unfortunately have to 100% agree. In my experience the whole rear of my car was destroyed and effectivley written off. Despite both indentifying the company and reg no of the van that did the damage the Garda did not follow up :mad:

maidhc wrote: »
    Of course they could, and clearly as this thread illustrates, they do. The gardai are generally very helpful, but as I said, their job is to bring prosecutions and get people convicted, not compensate victims.

If they chose for whatever reason to do nothing, then that is entirely their right. They just might be busy doing real police work.
    Dont agree that they can choose to do nothing,there job is to uphold the law,so when a law is broken as it was in this case they have to make every effort to bring the culprets to justice,as they did in this case,and not if they choose too.I dont pay my tax,for there wages so as they can choose to do there job or not...

thetyreman wrote: »
    Dont agree that they can choose to do nothing,there job is to uphold the law,so when a law is broken as it was in this case they have to make every effort to bring the culprets to justice,as they did in this case,and not if they choose too.I dont pay my tax,for there wages so as they can choose to do there job or not...

What I mean is they can choose not to bring a prosecution, which for something like a car door getting dented they normally will. It is not worth the expense or hassle (e.g., it might require a garda spending the morning in court, when the worst the offender will get is a slap on the wrist anway).

I'm not saying they don't do their job, but that part of their job is to excercise discretion. The Garda Siochana is also a finite resource!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

great news (what a nice 500th post ;))

bunch of flowers indeed!

• Advertisement

Didn't notice that! I have to say I couldn’t have been more impressed by the way this was handled by the Gardai. We are all quick to criticise but they simply could not have been any more attentive and effective.

Advertisement