Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carzone

Options
  • 01-10-2008 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Just tried to renew my add on line as I have been doing now for a while and the whole layout seems to have changed. I am one of the "Old Timers" who could renew my add for free as I have had it there pre 01.04.2008, but the option to renew now for freee seems to have disappeared? I remember there been a thread on this before when Carzone redesigned their website and tried to charge existing customers another €40 to renew but there was uproar.

Anybody know what's happening?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

Are you sure the option to renew for free is not just greyed out? I had to renew on Sunday and i thought the button was disabled, but it was just greyed out (?!). However maybe they've changed as of the 1st of the month.

I notice they have increased the charge to 40 euro too..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I renewed on Sunday too (after my advert was mysteriously marked 'sold'), without problems. I've just had a look now though, and the option to renew free seems to have disappeared. I'll give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Just went in to refresh my ad (and drop the price a bit).

The layout looks totally different to yesterday. Now the option is to 'Re-book' your ad... does this mean you have to pay to continue the same ad?

This is my first time using Carzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Yeah you have to pay to renew the ad... and it's gone up to do so. I have two ads up there now, last week one expired and it was €15 to renew, now the second one is due for renewal and it is €24.99 all of a sudden!!

No explanation as to why it has gone up by ten euro and they are pushing a renewal of €39.99 on me so that it will be advertised within auto trader as well.

Seems like I have timing issues, so.

Left selling my car until the market goes flat and Carzone goes up in price.

:confused:

I reckon one more price drop and I'll just hang on to it if it's not gone by the end of the 28 days. Nice car and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Thats a total ripoff!

I'd been advertising my car since april, renewing every month, not receiving any calls, was costing me 15 euro a month for the privilege of having a picture of it on the net.

Gave up renewing it this month, had thought about just setting up a new ad for the 30 euro, but at 40 quid a month and 25 quid renewal NO CHANCE!

Carzone stuff yer ripoff service, if I really want to sell it I'll go to one of the mags, the initial cost might be higher, but I reckon I'd have a better chance of selling it. Not everyone uses the web, its easier for the computer illiterates to just pick up a magazine.

Either way I think carzone are taking the p155 on this one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thats a total ripoff!

I'd been advertising my car since april, renewing every month, not receiving any calls, was costing me 15 euro a month for the privilege of having a picture of it on the net.

Gave up renewing it this month, had thought about just setting up a new ad for the 30 euro, but at 40 quid a month and 25 quid renewal NO CHANCE!

Carzone stuff yer ripoff service, if I really want to sell it I'll go to one of the mags, the initial cost might be higher, but I reckon I'd have a better chance of selling it. Not everyone uses the web, its easier for the computer illiterates to just pick up a magazine.

Either way I think carzone are taking the p155 on this one!!
    Moanin wrote: »
    Just tried to renew my add on line as I have been doing now for a while and the whole layout seems to have changed. I am one of the "Old Timers" who could renew my add for free as I have had it there pre 01.04.2008, but the option to renew now for freee seems to have disappeared? I remember there been a thread on this before when Carzone redesigned their website and tried to charge existing customers another €40 to renew but there was uproar.

Anybody know what's happening?

Thanks

No offense to either of you, but if you still have your cars listed for sale after having them listed since April (or earlier), then your pricing's off and the renewal fee's the least of your worries.

AudiChris wrote: »
    No offense to either of you, but if you still have your cars listed for sale after having them listed since April (or earlier), then your pricing's off and the renewal fee's the least of your worries.

Pricing wasn't off mate, was priced the lowest 2 or three cars of that type. Problem was that no one could either afford to run, buy or insure a golf gti. 2003 golf gti 65k on the clock for 11K isn't overpriced. Any less and I may as well just hang on to it, which I did decide to do in the end.

AudiChris wrote: »
    This is true for mainstream cars, unusual ones can just take a lot more time though.

yeah, same here. search my car by make, model and year and i'm 3rd from bottom of a whole page of similar.

and mine is in really good nick.

think i'll just have to keep it...

• Advertisement

Pricing wasn't off mate, was priced the lowest 2 or three cars of that type. Problem was that no one could either afford to run, buy or insure a golf gti. 2003 golf gti 65k on the clock for 11K isn't overpriced. Any less and I may as well just hang on to it, which I did decide to do in the end.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if a car like that's not selling then it's overpriced. The value is what someone's prepared to pay for it, no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is it the 150 or 180bhp model? because you can get a 180bhp landed in Ireland for just under 11k

actually you can get one here for 10,500
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/1.8Turbo-GTI/1046410/

or a 150bhp GTI for 10,000
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/Golf-GTi/1034556/

steve06 wrote: »
    Is it the 150 or 180bhp model? because you can get a 180bhp landed in Ireland for just under 11k

actually you can get one here for 10,500
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/1.8Turbo-GTI/1046410/

or a 150bhp GTI for 10,000
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/Golf-GTi/1034556/

Looks like they've dropped in price again since I looked last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Anan1 wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if a car like that's not selling then it's overpriced. The value is what someone's prepared to pay for it, no more.

This is my point - a sale happens when the buyer and seller agree on the value of the car.

Just because every other car is more expensive than yours doesn't mean it's guaranteed to sell.
    It doesn't take 6 months to sell a Golf GTi.

Problem was that no one could either afford to run, buy or insure a golf gti.

Noone could afford to buy or run it, but it's not overpriced?

Anyway, it's all academic as you held onto it. I hope it treats you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Then yes it was overpriced.

If your car requires higher running costs / insurance etc then to sell it your going to have to be the cheapest car and then take off the value of the additional costs for the first year as well. Otherwise no one is goign to touch it, as the fact you've been trying to sell it for months demonstrates.

People need to realise that what your can is 'worth' and what you will get for it are very far apart these days.

I just bought a car for 14k the asking price in April for it was 22k, I just kept watching it go down in price and offered a grand below the asking when he hit 15k. Similar to yours its expensive car to run etc but if you want to sell then you need to get real with the price.

Similary I have just sold my previous car two days ago, was 'worth' about 8k, carzone prices were between 7200 - 10500, I put it in the Evening herald on Friday for 6250, got a call saturday morning, agreed a price of 6k and sale was completed on Sunday night.

Your car is going to lose a value of about 2k once jan comes so just slash it now and get rid, otherwise keep it and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

How long it takes to sell a car has nothing to do with this. I payed for an advert that would run until i sold my car, now im being told i have to pay €40 to renew it every month. Are they able to change the agreement just like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hammertime wrote: »
    I put it in the Evening herald on Friday for 6250, got a call saturday morning, agreed a price of 6k and sale was completed on Sunday night.
    People forget about the traditional media. An awful lot of people read the papers!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

esel wrote: »
    People forget about the traditional media. An awful lot of people read the papers!

absolutely, the person who bought my car was a bloke in his 30's who said he was looking around for one for a while !!

I was selling a 2001 1.8 Passat :eek::eek::eek:

There are over 90 on them for sale on carzone and this guy had been looking in the paper for one for a few weeks !!!!

Sundy wrote: »
    How long it takes to sell a car has nothing to do with this. I payed for an advert that would run until i sold my car, now im being told i have to pay €40 to renew it every month. Are they able to change the agreement just like that?
    No. If you call them, they'll renew it FOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Great will call them so and sort that one out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Anan1 are you sure about that?

Moanin wrote: »
    Anan1 are you sure about that?
    I called them this morning, that's what the nice lady told me.:)

(assuming of course that your ad was first placed back when ads ran until the car was sold)

Advertisement