Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Megaman 9

• 01-10-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

Just out today in all its NES-y goodness. Had a quick lash at it before work, and by god its hard. On the first game, I wasted all my lives trying to jump over that first hole with the thingy jumping out of it. Second game I got as far as the mid-level boss.

I guess you'll make slow progression over many many (many) games, but its very punishing. Anyone know if progress is saved on a level by level basis, or if you die on level 6, you're sent back to level 1 again?

Oh, and I thought this would be a 5mb download MAX, but its almost 90mb. :eek:

Give it a lash and see what you think.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's talk about it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055385978

and here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055388483

For me it's coming very close to game of the year. It really is well made and up there with megaman 2 and 3. Level design is fantastic and the difficulty is just right.

It's not really that tough it's just a case of finding which bosses can be safely beaten with the default weapon and then progressing through the bosses by finding their weaknesses. It gets easier as you go along until after you beat all the bosses, the final few levels are damn tough. Back in the NEs days this would have been quite easy. I did have a bit of trouble with it initially but once I got into it it wasn't so tough.

You can save your game after you beat each boss but be warned when you get to the final stages. Just like in the old games there's no saving between them and you have to beat them all in one sitting.

If you are really stuck you can use the shop (bottom of the boss select menu) but if you are buying E-tanks you are kind of ruining the game for yourself. The item that costs 100 screws however is well worth buying for conveniences sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah right, sorry. I don't visit the PS3 forum, and "No love for old school gameplay" is a bit vague. :)

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it like the comments from that "No Love" thread. Its just when I played it, I thought "bloody hell... this is rock hard" - I couldn't get more than 3 screens across on my first game (and I'm a pretty seasoned mid-30s gamer).

Anyway, you've persuaded me that it'll be money well spent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭EvilWonka

the word hard for this game is an understatement. i have this 1 week on the ps3 now and i can beat everyone except jewel man, i have never even reached the end of level boss yet. however this game is the best i've bought since for a long long while with the exception for mgs4 (sorry for saying this on an xbox360 forum, i just really love this game)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I used to have megaman 2 and 4 on the nes. couldnt beat Wily in 4. completely forgot how hard these are though. You need to learn a pattern for so many screens and if you die you gotta go all the way back. Great game though although I wish they could have made the music slightly easier on the ears.:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    I used to have megaman 2 and 4 on the nes. couldnt beat Wily in 4. completely forgot how hard these are though. You need to learn a pattern for so many screens and if you die you gotta go all the way back. Great game though although I wish they could have made the music slightly easier on the ears.:p

:O the chip music is awesome! some really catchy tunes despite being on absolutely terrible hardware. Have to say it doesn't come anywhere near the quality of the music of megaman 2. Some how that game managed to make the nes sound chip sing. Even the with the megadrive rerelease I still prefer the old NES music.

I found megaman 4 to be probably the easiest in the serious. Absolutely stormed through it in 1 day on the anniversary collection. I remember MM2 and 3 being an absolute bitch. Spent days just trying to finish off 1 boss.

• Advertisement

I dont mean the music is bad but it hits some very high pitches that hit the ear drums hard :D

and Im really glad I hung onto my gamecube for the anniversary collection and X collection. great games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I really enjoy playing MM9, but it's super difficult. The boss patterns are easy to figure out, but hard to avoid! Love the old school difficulty, getting even one achivement out of it will be a triumph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭MegaSin

Beat the game without getting any damage.

Are you serious. What freak can get that.

Love the game though:D

I'm pretty sure there was a youtube video up after 2 days of some one doing it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got it last night.... really great game. Some of the achievements are damn vague though...

Peacekeeper 20
    Clear the game by defeating the fewest number of enemies possible.

Conservationist 20
    Clear the game by using the least amount of Weapon Energy possible.

• Advertisement

The first one means you have to kill only enemies that are totally unaoidable, like the bosses and subosses. The second one means you can't use any subweapons except for when they are essential for progressing in a level. In the last few stages you have to use subweapons to get past some enviromental hazards.

Both achievements are impossible to achieve for mere mortals.

I'm just aiming for the one for finishing the game, even that will take a while. 5 of 200, oh yeah!

DLC tomorrow, it would seem! I dunno if it'll make the game easier or harder though: http://kotaku.com/5059418/mega-man-9-gets-dlc-this-week-+-proto-man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Only 7 people in Ireland have gotten an achievement in it.

WTF...

I haven't tried it yet, but to be honest I'm not sure it'l be my cup of tea. Learning patterns or dying because it'l teach you how to do it next time is not good game design. Still, will give it a shot, in case the nay-sayers have been exaggerating!!

Advertisement