Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Car Documentation

Options
  • 01-10-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Going to look at a used car today.

What is the minimum documetation I need to get from a private buyer?

Is it just the log book?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You both fill in the VLC and the seller posts it. Don't forget to check and verify (by calling the garages) the service history.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and cross checking it against the NCT reports, etc.
    If in any doubt - walk away as it is a buyers market.
    Personally, I would bring an independent mechanic who can give it a once over before you part with your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Thanks guys.

Its all new to me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your buying the car then you and the current owner fill out the change of ownership section of the VLC. The current owner doesn't give the new owner the VLC, they are supposed to send it off to the DOE in Shannon who will in turn update their records and send out a new VLC to the new registered owner.

To avoid hassel agree with the current owner for both of you to drop the filled out VLC in the post together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Anan1 wrote: »
    You both fill in the VLC and the seller posts it. Don't forget to check and verify (by calling the garages) the service history.

RE the seller posting the VLC. If you don't see him/her putting it in the post, what's to stop him/her turning up outside your house with a spare key the night after the sale?

I know the buyer shouldn't have the VLC either, or the seller could be recieving the buyer's speeding tickets. Shouldn't both parties really visit a post office together?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

You should write out two receipts for the sale, signed by both of you. One copy for you, one copy for the seller.

Drop the VLC in the post together. It's worth the money, time and hassle saved in trying to chase a replacement later.

Advertisement