Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Vet Charges

• 01-10-2008 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi does anyone have an idea how much vets charge to put a dog to sleep, our much loved wicklow collie is 15, his back legs barely get him up now and he is also incontinent, does the bluecross provide this service? we will gladly make an
    apropriate donation if they do, i,ve never used them before, thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

Dont know about the Blue Cross but our local vet in Co.Wicklow charged us €85 for putting our Cocker Spaniel to sleep on Monday including the disposal of his little body. He was 9 years old and suffering from cardiomyopathy... enlarged heart and abdomen full of ascites fluid. He couldnt stand up for long due to the weight of his tummy and he was so weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

The previous Vet that I worked for did it for €50....I presumed this was the norm....but I know it was around €30 extra to dispose of the body....if you have had the dog for that long I presume if you can you would rather bury him somewhere special yourself. Ask around with your local vets. I've never heard of the Blue Cross doing it? Sorry for your loss, you're doing the right thing though, it would be horrible to make him suffer any longer. All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

The only way you can find out is to call the blue cross they'll most likely help and direct you to one of there vets that does work for them out side of there mobile clinic's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

When we had to get our pomeranian Twinkle put to sleep ( she was 16 ) the vet charged 50 euro.
    We took her home and buried her in the garden.
    We then went out and bought a Rose bush and planted it beside her. Do bring him home if you can.
    So sorry for you and your poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Sorry to hear about your dog.

Was wondering how the vets dispose of the dogs, can anybody throw any light on the subject?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

I was told they are cremated. Well i do hope so. Couldnt take my boy to be buried. So hopefully , and i do hope this is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Cremation is the standard practice. But, being honest, you can only ever go on the word of your vet and he only goes on the word of the company he is using. This also goes for individual cremation where you can reciede the ashes back. Only way you can be 1000% sure what happens is if you bring you pet home with you.

Generally price depends on weight, ie how much injection it takes. Normally in between 90-150 including taking care of the remains. Individual is much more expensive, from 160 - 350 depending on size also.

It is always such a hard decision, some people prefere to remember them how they wereand just let the vet take care of everything.

That's very expensive. Now, looking back actually the Vet I worked for (Maynooth) charged €35 for a small dog and €50 for a larger dog (not including disposal, that was €50 extra as far as I can remember). That was 2 years ago, presume it hasn't changed that much since. Suppose every practice is different but that sounds very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Its not really as you said 35 for a small and 50 for a larger dog not including disposal. 90 euro includes disposal for dogs up tp 50 kg over 50kg is the 150ish. Yeah the individual is expensive but that includes everything, injection, and sentign the pet for cremation etc. And the pricing for that comes from the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would agree, it is pretty much the standard cost. I had a lab put to sleep recently and was charged €130 and this was an out of hours job.

• Advertisement

I suppose when you put it like that yeah you're right....thankfully when I was there most people took the dog home with them to bury themselves....having dead bodies out the back in the freezer for a week to be collected really wasn't pleasant :( I know it isn't possible for everyone to bring them home if you live in an apartment, rented accomodation etc. All of our dogs from years back are buried in a little part of a field behind our house at home, sounds like a creepy dog graveyard but it's nice to remember them.

I really think the whole practice should be cheaper if possible. It's such a hard thing for an owner to have to do and then to have to pay a lot of money on top of that....just the way it is I suppose and costs are costs but always thought it was horrible. Okay you're dog is dead that will be €100 please :( Never got used to that part :(

Advertisement