Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find and Replace in all open Word documents

Options
  • 01-10-2008 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭

I want to find and replace text in a lot of different Word documents, is there any feature in Microsoft Word to find and replace in all open documents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Did a bit of googling a found a few programmes that will do it....surely there must be a free app/simpler way of doing it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

autoit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Any chance of linking that? Or perhaps some capatilisation? Or even explaining what the f*ck you are on about? Not everybody knows what AutoIt is.

fletch, you could probably write a Visual Basic for Application utility that will do this for you. If I remember correctly the Word Application object has an array of open documents. You could loop through that searching and replacing as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Any chance of linking that? Or perhaps some capatilisation? Or even explaining what the f*ck you are on about? Not everybody knows what AutoIt is.
    Well everyone can use google....popped the word AutoIt into google and first link brought me to the correct site
    http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Hold down "ctrl" & press "H" this will give you the tool for both find & replace, works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Gonzales wrote: »
    Hold down "ctrl" & press "H" this will give you the tool for both find & replace, works a treat.

Not across multiple documents, it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

A very straightforward task.

If you haven't got Perl already, then go ahead and install Perl. Once installed, open a Windoze command window and type:
    cd PATH/TO/FILES

and
    perl -pi -e 's/STRING/REPLACE/g' *.doc

,where

PATH/TO/FILES is the directory containing your MS-Word files (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Book)
    STRING is the string you wish to replace (e.g. I am gay)
    REPLACE is the new string (e.g. I am not gay)

Boom, boom, boom.

Advertisement