Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sole Trader Motoring Expenses?

• 01-10-2008 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

I'm a sole trader, working from home. Some of my work requires me to work on my customers site for a few hours or days at a time. Should I be claiming mileage on my travel to and from them?

(Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it anywhere. Feel free to just link me to any pre-existing threads.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭515

The reason I'm asking is that someone told me that I should (without knowing all the ins and outs) but someone else has told me they formed a limited company in order to claim the mileage...

Do I need to work through a company to claim mileage or can I claim tax relief on it as a sole trader?

To be clear, I want to know if I (as a sole trader) can claim mileage as a business expense and therefore reduce my income tax liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭515

Got on to Revenue directly and got the answer. I can claim it. Incase anyone else was looking for the answer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paddys1

Yes u can claim it in accordance with the civil service mileage rates a car with an engine capacity of over 1501cc can claim as follows:

Up to 6437km at 78.32cent
    6438km and over at 36.65cent

Advertisement